• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest VAL FILPPULA

Breaking in New Skates

Rate this topic

Guest VAL FILPPULA

Just bought a new pair of skates and I'm trying to get them broken in a little bit. Anyone know a good trick to help the process?

Guest VAL FILPPULA

Bauer Supreme ONE55s. I was gonna get the x:40's but I saw the one55s at a store for one hundred bucks. it was a steal. plus the money saved let me get a new stick :). But anyways lol, I've been wearing them while sitting on the couch for the last hour. Hoping that works.

Nice... I think the One55 is a bakeable boot, but you should check with the store. If they can be baked, get that done (better to go to the shop and pay for it than to mess up your skates in your own oven). Otherwise, just wear them!

Guest VAL FILPPULA
Put them in the oven. Pour hot water onto the sole (heel part) of the skate. Wear thick socks. Skate. Skate. Skate.

I've read about that online, but I have also heard that might be bad. Dont wanna ruin the new skates lol. I may try the hair dryer trick though

baking certainly helps if you can do it, but honestly, just skating on them a whole bunch is the best way to break in new skates. it typically takes me a couple of weeks of playing fairly regularly before they lose that new skate "bite". good luck

Guest VAL FILPPULA
Nice... I think the One55 is a bakeable boot, but you should check with the store. If they can be baked, get that done (better to go to the shop and pay for it than to mess up your skates in your own oven). Otherwise, just wear them!

Unfortunately at the local pro shop it cost $30! Do you think it is worth the money?

I've read about that online, but I have also heard that might be bad. Dont wanna ruin the new skates lol. I may try the hair dryer trick though

also, a lot of the rinks by me use that CCM/bladder machine. the shop will bake the skates, have you put them on, and then put them in a machine that inflates air bladders around your foot so that they mold to the shape of your foot as they cool

Guest VAL FILPPULA
baking certainly helps if you can do it, but honestly, just skating on them a whole bunch is the best way to break in new skates. it typically takes me a couple of weeks of playing fairly regularly before they lose that new skate "bite". good luck

Luckily for me two or my neighbors have backyard rinks and I know people who play pond hockey. Should be easy to find ice time :)

Guest VAL FILPPULA
also, a lot of the rinks by me use that CCM/bladder machine. the shop will bake the skates, have you put them on, and then put them in a machine that inflates air bladders around your foot so that they mold to the shape of your foot as they cool

I may try that then...btw, love your avatar

Bauers can never be fully broken in, they are notorious for messing peoples feet up. But anyways, getting them baked is the best way.

Now off topic - When I got my new CCM's I didn't have to break them in. After skating for hours I had nothing more than a little blister on the ball of my ankle. I will never buy anything but CCM's ever again.

Guest VAL FILPPULA
Bauers can never be fully broken in, they are notorious for messing peoples feet up. But anyways, getting them baked is the best way.

Now off topic - When I got my new CCM's I didn't have to break them in. After skating for hours I had nothing more than a little blister on the ball of my ankle. I will never buy anything but CCM's ever again.

I think it just depends on the person. I've worn eastons and they didn't work for me and then I switched to Bauers and now I've been wearing them for years. Haven't had a problem with breaking them in.

Baking is a huge help. When I got my Missions they fit well, but getting them baked really helped with the comfort factor and the fit was much better. A brand new, baked skate is better than a broken in skate you've had for a while because instead of wearing out the leather, you are simply reshaping it.

Think of it like this; breaking in a skate is like folding a piece of cardstock back and forth a few times to get a place where the card folds properly, but leaving cracks and such around the fold. Baking is like having that piece of cardstock scored for folding. Nice and clean, without unnecessary wear and tear.