• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown Red Wings

NBC screwing over hockey fans

Rate this topic

Guest Howard He Do It?!
You're missing something here, I think. I didn't say curling wasn't a sport or that it shouldn't be one or that it was less of a sport. I was asking WHY it was one, as I don't get the appeal. I'm clearly aware that curling HAS appeal, because watching it on TV today there were a lot of people there cheering their asses off. I don't think they were there because the venue has great concessions, although you never know.

Unbunch, please.

Asking why curling is a sport is a clear indicator of what you think of it. To argue otherwise is futile. If I asked why hockey is a sport are you really going to think that I somehow like hockey? No. You are going to think that I hate hockey.

I understand if you don't understand the appeal, but simply stating that makes a better case than trashing the sport for being nothing but dudes throwing rocks in a circle. All sports sound stupid when you sarcastically carve them down to the bare minimum, which was the point I was making when I re-worded your post to focus on hockey instead of curling.

Curling is a sport because it is a game, it has rules, it has competitors, it has fans and it generates revenue. Any sport that does not include all of those elements fails to be a sport.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

Much like the regular season before march the early games are meh. I think only the medal games are getting played on NBC from what I remember.

Besides, curling and ice dancing will have better ratings. :hehe:

I think Bob Costas should be burned inside of a wicker man in order to appease us all. :hehe:

Oh, and why is any of this surprising? Americans for the most part don't care about hockey and American channels are the same way. It's been that way ever since I can remember. No one can smell their own s***. If hockey was an American game, this would be different. It's like a built in hatred and indifference to the whole sport. It'll always be this way.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
Much like the regular season before march the early games are meh. I think only the medal games are getting played on NBC from what I remember.

Besides, curling and ice dancing will have better ratings. :hehe:

The gold medal game will be live on NBC.

This is what people need to understand. While we are all dedicated hockey fans, we have to realize that hockey is a very niche sport and doesn't have widespread popularity in the US. There is a reason ESPN dumped hockey and put programing like bowling in its place. It's all about the ratings.

The gold medal game will be live on NBC.

This is what people need to understand. While we are all dedicated hockey fans, we have to realize that hockey is a very niche sport and doesn't have widespread popularity in the US. There is a reason ESPN dumped hockey and put programing like bowling in its place. It's all about the ratings.

That's funny, because ESPN just had a poll about which events Americans wanted to watch most. Of 5 events, men's hockey was winning with 50% of the vote. Trust me, Americans aren't dying to see women's hockey and curling over men's hockey.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
That's funny, because ESPN just had a poll about which events Americans wanted to watch most. Of 5 events, men's hockey was winning with 50% of the vote. Trust me, Americans aren't dying to see women's hockey and curling over men's hockey.

I'm not going to put much stock into an ESPN poll. While American's are not dying to see women's hockey or curling, they are still not dying to see hockey.

I'm not going to put much stock into an ESPN poll. While American's are not dying to see women's hockey or curling, they are still not dying to see hockey.

You're not going to put much stock on the basis of what Americans want to see that's on ESPN? I mean, it's significant if hockey is winning a poll on the most visited sports site in the US.

But is ESPN really calling out to the demographics that would want to see curling or women's hockey?

Guest Howard He Do It?!
You're not going to put much stock on the basis of what Americans want to see that's on ESPN? I mean, it's significant if hockey is winning a poll on the most visited sports site in the US.

Hockey is on ESPN? I missed that. Show me this poll. I am curious as to what the other options were and how many people voted. I forgot that ESPN makes business decisions based on online polls.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

But is ESPN really calling out to the demographics that would want to see curling or women's hockey?

NHL arenas get 15,000 a night. Where is that happening in the United States for curling and women's hockey? Infact, what curling league or women's hockey league even has a tv deal?

I guess I just expected a network that shows NHL games to have a little more respect for the product. Especially considering that it's the single biggest event at the Olympics in CANADA.

I'm not even asking these games be on NBC, though I think Sunday's should be. I'm just saying, show the freaking game when it's supposed to be on, and at the very least, have an overflow channel so we're not missing hockey coverage to watch curling.

Hockey is on ESPN? I missed that. Show me this poll. I am curious as to what the other options were and how many people voted. I forgot that ESPN makes business decisions based on online polls.

I can't find it now. It was a couple days ago. One of the Sportsnation polls that get well over 100,000 votes.

I have no idea what you're talking about ESPN making business decisions.....

The poll asked which of these Olympic events do you want to watch.....mens hockey, some skiing, figure skating, maybe bobsled, and something else.....men's hockey was running away it.

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

Guest Howard He Do It?!
Curling is a lot more entertaining than hockey. Unless you're a moron.

No one has said that curling is more entertaining than hockey, but I'm sure there are people that do find curling more enjoyable.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
I can't find it now. It was a couple days ago. One of the Sportsnation polls that get well over 100,000 votes.

I have no idea what you're talking about ESPN making business decisions.....

The poll asked which of these Olympic events do you want to watch.....mens hockey, some skiing, figure skating, maybe bobsled, and something else.....men's hockey was running away it.

And that's your explanation. The options in the poll all but guarantee hockey winning. A majority of ESPN's viewing audience is men in the 18-65 range. So that eliminates figure skating. Bobsled sees no tv time outside of the Olympics. Skiing sees more tv time than bobsledding but skiing is usually pitted against afternoon NBA games,etc.

And that's your explanation. The options in the poll all but guarantee hockey winning. A majority of ESPN's viewing audience is men in the 18-65 range. So that eliminates figure skating. Bobsled sees no tv time outside of the Olympics. Skiing sees more tv time than bobsledding but skiing is usually pitted against afternoon NBA games,etc.

Ok, so what other sports are there? Everything is some variation of all those events. I could see maybe snowboarding being bigger. And I'm not even sure what your argument is for them not having an overflow channel to show the events they say they're going to show.

Do you want them to overlap hockey coverage with curling? What is your argument? You are a hockey fan I assume.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
Ok, so what other sports are there? Everything is some variation of all those events. I could see maybe snowboarding being bigger. And I'm not even sure what your argument is for them not having an overflow channel to show the events they say they're going to show.

Do you want them to overlap hockey coverage with curling? What is your argument? You are a hockey fan I assume.

That is a huge generality. I guess basketball is a variation on track and field because they both involve running. To say that a poll of 5 options encompasses all of the Winter Olympic events and that an ESPN poll is representative of how the entire country views the popularity of Winter Olympic events is silly. If I post a poll on LGW asking "Which is the better hockey team? Red Wings or Penguins?" are you in doubt to which option is going to prevail? You have to recognize the audience participating in the poll and how they will view the options.

When did I say NBC had good coverage? When did I say that they shouldn't have an overflow channel? I'm sure NBC includes that pesky little clause that states that all events will be shown subject to time constrictions, overlapping events, etc. NBC could use MSNBC when coverage of curling runs over on CNBC, but the simple fact is that Keith Olberman probably gets higher ratings than an early round Oly hockey game.

ESPN has zero involvement with the Winter Olympics and they do not show hockey games anymore.

For the record, NBC coverage of the Winter Olympics sucks, including their coverage of Oly hockey and their regular coverage of the NHL is just as bad.

The whole Olympic schedule has been ******* lame so far.

I don't like uncompetitive games and I don't like games that start at 11:30 at night. That's all they've given us so far. Seems like all the good games will be on Sunday, instead of spreading it out a little better.

Guest CaliWingsNut

NBC, I just wanted to write you and thank you.

Thank you for advertising Sidney Crosby (even during events he's no part of) ad nauseum instead of the MANY other great hockey players (hint: he's not even captain). Spending all your time (both during your Olympics and piss poor NHL coverage) promoting one player on one team of a 20+ player team and 30 team league is moronic.

Thank you for choosing to abbreviate the number one sport of these Winter Olympics (Hockey) by showing highlights instead during the first period (though I haven't witnessed this first hand).

Thank you for choosing to make it impossible for me to watch the Olympic events for the first time in my life because I choose internet over a TV.

My thank you to you is continuing to not own a TV, continuing to not do business with Comcast, and doing my best to not watch shows which provide you advertising profit. The internet is taking over for TV, not the other way around, and I don't exactly see it as a smart business model to piss off those whom choose tech first.

Sincerely,

That is a huge generality. I guess basketball is a variation on track and field because they both involve running. To say that a poll of 5 options encompasses all of the Winter Olympic events and that an ESPN poll is representative of how the entire country views the popularity of Winter Olympic events is silly. If I post a poll on LGW asking "Which is the better hockey team? Red Wings or Penguins?" are you in doubt to which option is going to prevail? You have to recognize the audience participating in the poll and how they will view the options.

When did I say NBC had good coverage? When did I say that they shouldn't have an overflow channel? I'm sure NBC includes that pesky little clause that states that all events will be shown subject to time constrictions, overlapping events, etc. NBC could use MSNBC when coverage of curling runs over on CNBC, but the simple fact is that Keith Olberman probably gets higher ratings than an early round Oly hockey game.

ESPN has zero involvement with the Winter Olympics and they do not show hockey games anymore.

For the record, NBC coverage of the Winter Olympics sucks, including their coverage of Oly hockey and their regular coverage of the NHL is just as bad.

All I was saying with the ESPN poll is that if you want the opinion of the average American sports fan, that's where you'll get it. I don't necessarily like ESPN, they prefer PBA Bowling to hockey, but if 50,000 plus people indicate that hockey is a preferable event to many others (and I'm sure preferable to curling and women's hockey), NBC would be well to make that product available to the people who want to see it.

It's not even competing for space with skiing, snowboarding, speedskating, biathlon, figure skating....it's losing out to curling and women's hockey on a nightly basis. It'd be one thing if an event went late occasionally. But this is a nightly event and I wish they'd do something about it.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
The one hockey game today between two top teams is going to be aired in the middle of the night on a weekday.

That's all you need to know about the s***ty hockey coverage so far.

That has more to due with the fact that the games are being contested on the west coast.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
All I was saying with the ESPN poll is that if you want the opinion of the average American sports fan, that's where you'll get it. I don't necessarily like ESPN, they prefer PBA Bowling to hockey, but if 50,000 plus people indicate that hockey is a preferable event to many others (and I'm sure preferable to curling and women's hockey), NBC would be well to make that product available to the people who want to see it.

It's not even competing for space with skiing, snowboarding, speedskating, biathlon, figure skating....it's losing out to curling and women's hockey on a nightly basis. It'd be one thing if an event went late occasionally. But this is a nightly event and I wish they'd do something about it.

A poll off of ESPN is highly unscientific and susceptible to skewed results, i.e the ability to vote multiple times.

The viewers of ESPN are going to be different than the viewers of the Olympics on NBC. While they are both sports, it is difficult to compare the two. The Olympics occur every 4 years for a two week period. Viewing patterns are ultimately going to e very different.

There is a reason that ESPN does not show the NHL and an observational poll about the Olympics is not going to change that.

The viewers of ESPN are going to be different than the viewers of the Olympics on NBC. While they are both sports, it is difficult to compare the two. The Olympics occur every 4 years for a two week period. Viewing patterns are ultimately going to e very different.

I know this. This is not the point of the thread. Those niche events which become popular during the Olympics are all on NBC. They are not even in the discussion.

The point is the scheduling has been so terrible that the only sport not getting it's due is the men's hockey tournament. Are you gonna sit there and tell me that curling and women's hockey is more important to the American viewing public than men's hockey? If you truly believe this, fine, I give up.