• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Impact of Olympics on Hockey in America

Rate this topic

It's kinda like buying a new pair of shoes; looking forward to wear them - however after a few days it's no big deal, and before you know it you're looking at the Kohl's ad, and realise that boxers are 40% off........... :dozing:

EDIT - some of the local morning radio station DJs talked about yesterdays game as though they know little to nothing about the sport...And this folks is MILWAUKEE - ya know - the city in which some feel an NHL franchise would thrive :rolleyes:

Maybe they can convert the Milwaukee Bucks to a hockey team. :D

I mean when's the last time that team accomplished anything?

A significant impact? It could have been....if the NHL was carried on ESPN where it should be. It will continue to be a "minor" sport in the US until that happens. What a huge lost opportunity, though! Ryan Miller became a huge star during the games, and so many Americans have (at least, temporarily) been turned on to hockey because of his heroics. Its a shame that they will largely lose interest in the immediate future due to mismanagement of the NHL by you-know-who.

By the way, wouldn't it make more sense for Buttman to promote American guys like Miller as stars in the States? It sure worked for the Olympics.

Interest in NHL hockey could increase because of Olympic hockey, and particularly this year's tournament, which in my opinion has been the best Olympic tournament I've seen. However, I'm cynical and skeptical. There will be some impact, but I doubt it will have a significant impact even though the reason I'm a hockey fan is because of Olympic hockey.

I don't know exactly why it won't have a signficant impact, but I can say it's not because the NHL isn't on ESPN. There were several years were NHL games were on ESPN, and ESPN exposure didn't boost the NHL's prominence in the states then. To think that it will now is simply wishful thinking and ultimately wrong.

Interest in NHL hockey could increase because of Olympic hockey, and particularly this year's tournament, which in my opinion has been the best Olympic tournament I've seen. However, I'm cynical and skeptical. There will be some impact, but I doubt it will have a significant impact even though the reason I'm a hockey fan is because of Olympic hockey.

I don't know exactly why it won't have a signficant impact, but I can say it's not because the NHL isn't on ESPN. There were several years were NHL games were on ESPN, and ESPN exposure didn't boost the NHL's prominence in the states then. To think that it will now is simply wishful thinking and ultimately wrong.

See, this is where 30 years of "Miracle on Ice" has hockey fans totally screwed up in the head. People seem to think that Miracle on Ice remains as important as it does today because people really like hockey. Miracle on Ice had almost nothing to do with hockey. It was an Olympic event, a political event, and a heartwarming story, but what was the state of the NHL in the U.S. from 1980 to 1985? Nothing. There was an Islanders dynasty (near a major media market, and in the same state as the Lake Placid Olympics) for 4 years after Miracle on Ice, but the NHL didn't become big business because Miracle on Ice did not make people suddenly appreciate the game of hockey.

And if that game didn't do it, I don't know why the Vancouver Olympics are any different. The Olympics are their own things--it's a once-every-four-years TV show that lasts for 2 weeks. The masses aren't going to start following professional figure skating or alpine skiing because of the Olympics.

I'm glad that a few media commentators are using Olympic hockey to remind themselves that hockey is still played in this country, but non-hockey fans aren't suddenly hockey fans because they watched one good game in the Olympics.

See, I think it's more important for the NHL to be managed correctly, as in manage better what it already has, than always try to figure out how to grow. And that doesn't mean being cost effective with travel by playing divisional opponents 8 times a year.

As a business owner, most of the market research I've ever seen says that the vast majority of revenue comes from people already in your given market, not from getting new people into the market. That costs too much, and the noobs don't spend nearly as much. The NHL has to treat it's exisitng fan base well, and those fans will recruit new fans.

I did not want to make fun, it's just another culture, football is king, LSU & Saints

That's why Letsgowings exist! Lonely fans from southern states, Europe can meet and talk about their favorite team :thumbup:

No they weren't, the hockey game was on in the entire restaurant pretty much and people were interested.

And two wrongs don't make a right. Don't make fun of people enjoying football or baseball more down here. Kinda makes sense for people to watch the Super Bowl rerun down here since we won it all.

It's a different environment than what you are probably used to and will always be different. It's neither right/wrong, good/bad. Let it be.