• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
superstarsingh

History Will Be Made

Rate this topic

Personally, I think the whole "flying goal" thing about Orr is a joke. Yes it was a great goal...but the only reason it is such a highlight and considered one of the greatest goals of all-time is the fact that he jumped after shooting the puck. He didn't swat the puck in while airborne. He shot the puck into the net, then went airborne. Big ******* deal.

Agreed. Johan Franzen did a real flying goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6hWmSeaRdA

But of course that wasn't OT in the Stanley Cup final. Still I've never understood why that Bobby Orr goal is so highly regarded.

Personally, I think the whole "flying goal" thing about Orr is a joke. Yes it was a great goal...but the only reason it is such a highlight and considered one of the greatest goals of all-time is the fact that he jumped after shooting the puck. He didn't swat the puck in while airborne. He shot the puck into the net, then went airborne. Big ******* deal.

I think part of what makes the goal so iconic was that it encapsulates Orr's talent as a defenseman. To storm the crease like he does in that goal was completely unheard of for a defenseman before his time, and even now would seem out of place for most blueliners. He completely revolutionalized his position and is likely the best two-way player who will ever play the game; the fact that he demonstrates those facts by literally winning his team the Cup with the kind of completely unconventional defenseman goal that defined his career is in my mind what gives it the legacy that it has.

Plus, his jump afterwards is one of extatic celebration - why wouldn't he, he just won the freaking Cup. Heck, to go back to the Yzerman goal this thread was started over, didn't Y's celebration of the goal after he scored it make the moment all the more sweet and memorable? It's the same thing here. To me it embodies what the players are fighting so badly to earn during the playoffs; reactions like Orr's in my mind reflect an expression of an undying love for the game. To say nothing of the tense drama that is overtime playoff hockey.

Edited by Kabrok