• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mikl657

Can the wings afford howard?

Rate this topic

You missed the point of what I was saying in my previous post. My point was that Howard is hopefully turning into that legit stud goaltender and Holland wont be giving up on him. The Wings were patient in his development and are not seeing the benefits of that patience. As good as Osgood has been in the last two playoff runs and as good as he has been in various regular seasons etc he's never been looked upon as a premier NHL goaltender. If Howard continues on the path he's currently on he potentially could become a premier guy in this league. That obviously is hoping for a lot of things to go right but the point is he is on that path. All i was saying was that although Holland would overpay and shell out an absurd amount of money to make it happen, there is no way he gives up on him either. So maybe you should understand the post first before you try and knock it

If finishing top ten in Vezina voting at least three times, and being considered for the Conn Smythe three times, means you have never been looked upon as a premier NHL goaltender...then the following current notable goaltenders are not and never have been premier goaltenders:

Ryan Miller, Miikka Kiprusoff, Marty Turco, Nikolai Khabibulin, Tomas Vokoun, Niklas Backstrom, Ilya Bryzgalov, Marc-Andre Fleury, Roberto Luongo, Jean-Sebastien Giguere, Evgeni Nabokov. And of course Jimmy Howard.

Other big names fitting the bill of 'not a premier goalie' would be Dominik Hasek, Mike Richter, John Vanbiesbrouck, Tom Barrasso.

Osgood may never have been considered by a majority of fans and writers as the BEST goalie in the league...but he was definitely considered among them during the second half of the 90s.

"If finishing top ten in Vezina voting at least three times"

When you first read it quickly it sounds like a great accomplishment. Then you think of how there are basically 30 number one goaltenders in the league. Being in the top 10 is basically being above average then.

I'm not arguing against anything else.

"If finishing top ten in Vezina voting at least three times"

When you first read it quickly it sounds like a great accomplishment. Then you think of how there are basically 30 number one goaltenders in the league. Being in the top 10 is basically being above average then.

I'm not arguing against anything else.

And think of the fact that Vezina voting is a 3-place ballot, and usually there are between only 8 and 12 goalies who actually receive votes. So in at least three seasons that I am aware of, Osgood was considered a top THREE goaltender by enough voters (the 30 NHL GMs) to finish in the top ten among all goalies.

Voting isn't "Rank the top 30 goalies in the league" or something like that. It's "pick your top three" and Osgood has been considered in that group a few times. A lot of "elite" goalies can't say that.

How many "stud goalies" have won the Cup in recent seasons? I don't consider any of the past five (Fleury, Osgood, Giguere, Ward, Khabibulin) to be superstar/irreplaceable types. Hockey is packed with good goalies, and I think Holland has determined that he would be better off spending $6M on a star defenceman or forward. You can get adequate to exceptional goaltending for reasonable money these days, and you don't need superstar goaltending to win the Cup.

This is maybe the best post in this thread.