• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Joseph Franks

Overseas watchers?

Rate this topic

I'm stationed in Germany, in the army, and this 9PM start for me is 3AM. Personally, I'm drinking a s*** ton, praying I stay alive, and playing PS3 to get me through. If I should fall asleep I have FOUR alarms set for 3am, stationed all around my room, to ensure that I have to get up and move around and walk about to shut them all off. Above each alarm is a poster that states "GAME 1, 2ND ROUND!!!! WINGS GO WINGS GO!!!!!" just to ensure that even if I sleep walk...I can figure out why I'm up.

What do you other "Outside the US" people do to prepare for and follow the games that are on odd hours.

Sadly, next year I'll be following the games from Afghanistan...and while I think only an hour more than here in Germany.....*Sigh*.

I managed my last deployment. I can do it again....!!!!

I'm stationed in Germany, in the army, and this 9PM start for me is 3AM. Personally, I'm drinking a s*** ton, praying I stay alive, and playing PS3 to get me through. If I should fall asleep I have FOUR alarms set for 3am, stationed all around my room, to ensure that I have to get up and move around and walk about to shut them all off. Above each alarm is a poster that states "GAME 1, 2ND ROUND!!!! WINGS GO WINGS GO!!!!!" just to ensure that even if I sleep walk...I can figure out why I'm up.

What do you other "Outside the US" people do to prepare for and follow the games that are on odd hours.

Sadly, next year I'll be following the games from Afghanistan...and while I think only an hour more than here in Germany.....*Sigh*.

Now that's dedication!

For me, I always try to sleep before the game rather than stay up the whole time. Even if it's just for three hours or so. After the game is over, I can never get back to sleep.

I havn't slept through my alarm once yet, so far so good.

I have had to skip alot of classes for the wings haha....it's usually worth it. Especially come playoffs.

I can basically live the American rhythm as I have no school or anything. I usually wake up between 3 PM and 5 PM. It's just because of these games, but I have no problem with that.

edit: The time difference is +7 hours for me.

Edited by Finnish Wing

depends on the start time for me. if it is 7-8 EST (12-1am UK time) then i just stay up and watch it. if it is later than that then i have a nap first and set my alarm for game time. it is tough getting up for work after the 3am games though!

Eastern Time games are fine, usually over by 3am. These west coast games are a killer though. It sucks to be going to bed at 5.30am, and it's particularly bad after a loss.

It would make sense to sleep before, then get up for the game but I can never sleep so I don't bother. I tried it once last year and I missed the first period of a Ducks game.

Usually I just grin and bear it the next day on 3 hours sleep...then catch up a few days later with a mammoth 16 hour sleepathon :zzz:

It's hard.....very hard. In fact, its rare for me to even watch full games anymore (now that I'm working full time). Plus, the time difference is KILLER (+13 hours ahead). Games usually come on between 7 and 8am here so I'm forced to wake up at the butt crack of dawn to be able to watch them. Morning/afternoon games I can forget about. Those come on around 3-5 am here. Anyway, its the playoffs, so I'm trying hard to grin and bear it.

Edited by ShanahanMan

for me 9pm games are 2am games and most of the time i just stay up and try to find anything to pass the time. Im used to it now i guess

Wow that must be tough. Atleast over here its just 12 hours difference. So any night games are at reasonable times in the morning for me. Only struggle with afternoon games, but they are few and far between.

Red Bull. Lots of it.

Most days I don't have school that early so I can atleast get 4-5 hours sleep after the games.

But it's tough. During the regular season I mostly watch these West Coast games the day after without checking the scores, but now in the playoffs I want to watch them live.

i am used to stay up long...i am a night owl and luckily i have only one day in the week where my seminars start before 11 am...so i get good sleep most of the time :) obviously the west-coast-games are a little bit tougher because they start later..so i am not so happy about san jose at all but it works..

1. you figure out that gane starts for you 4 AM.

2. is it alrady weekend? no? KABOOOOOM! at 4 o'clock and try to explain to your sleepy wife what da hell is going on. Also you pray that no OT because of you have to go at work around 7 or so...coffe diet for the rest of the day.

Weekend: stay up. sleep during daylight and ruin all plans what your lovely wife has planned for weekend.*

*mental sticky note. You must compensate later all this mental stress to your family life caused by NHL schedule.

My friend I feel your pain. All I can hope for is afternoon games on AFN at 2000 or 2100. Unfortunately, the Wings have been struggling on afternoon games. Right now I rely on NHL torrents (if they win) and TSN / Yahoo for the highlights.