• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings_Dynasty

Game 3 Officiating

Rate this topic

I actually just discovered what the hell is wrong with the officiating in this series: Mick McGeough.

Yes, I know he retired. But apparently, his incompetence still lingers on...

Terry Gregson watched Sunday's Game 2 between the Red Wings and Sharks just like fans did.

But the one difference between Gregson, the NHL's senior vice president and director of officiating, and most fans and both teams' players and coaches, was Gregson saw no fault with his referees.

Gregson backed referees Kevin Pollock and Brad Watson, who have been the subject of scrutiny for dubious calls this series.

"They set a tight standard early on and they kept to that standard the rest of the game," said Gregson, who arrived in Chicago on Monday afternoon for the Blackhawks-Canucks game.

Gregson was in contact with series manager Mick McGeough, who in turn talked with Watson and Pollock. But Gregson said that's normal procedure.

Full article here.

I have a sinking feeling we're going to keep getting jobbed in this series.

I have a sinking feeling we're going to keep getting jobbed in this series.

"They set a tight standard early on and they kept to that standard..."

After reading that, there is no doubt in my mind now that the new crew of rotated refs are going to look hard for calls to make tonight, and that this entire series is going to get tightly called. The only difference now that I can see is that the Wings are painfully aware of it; that, and the refs are going to be much more vigilant at trying to spot and call diving penalties.

Should be interesting to watch, to say the least.

"They set a tight standard early on and they kept to that standard..."

After reading that, there is no doubt in my mind now that the new crew of rotated refs are going to look hard for calls to make tonight, and that this entire series is going to get tightly called. The only difference now that I can see is that the Wings are painfully aware of it; that, and the refs are going to be much more vigilant at trying to spot and call diving penalties.

Should be interesting to watch, to say the least.

They said they would be watching closely for diving the whole time, so I wouldn't count on that. I would love to be proven wrong though. Also, (and this isn't really a reply to you, just the comment in the article) there's a difference between setting a tight standard and not letting them play hockey.

Guest mjtm77

did you read the post? i acknowledged that both calls on big bert were suspect calls. franzen getting cut in the face was a direct result of him tripping setoguchi. hypothetical: would setoguchi turned around and hit franzen in the face had he not been tripped?

more of the same. a diving call only creates offsetting minors. could you guarantee that we wouldn't have scored 4-4 or 4-5 rather than 5-3?

Its a ******* stick to the face. What about cross check to helms face or Setoguchi diving like a little homo. You could be the stupidest sharks fan And your goalie dives like a little *****. Normally the commentators dont talk about the refs and about the calls made. Every one is talking about how bad this game was called.

So where the hell was the "tight standard" for the Sharks all game?

esteef

You mean in 20/20 retrospect? Non-calls not seen by the refs? I can't answer to that, as non-calls that fans see are sooooo bloody subjective, and how would you know for sure that the refs saw but simply refused to call it? And then there's the question of whether or not you actually believe that the penalties -- all of them, called and non-called -- were "about even". I wouldn't even engage someone on that point, as that's where subjectivity is often on crack.

Even so, as I already said in another thread, and I could be wrong, I believed that Detroit came in flying well above the radar, in a way that seemed, to me at least, like they fully expected the refs to put the whistles away. That, I believe, contributed to more scrutiny of Wings over the Sharks.

You mean in 20/20 retrospect? Non-calls not seen by the refs? I can't answer to that, as non-calls that fans see are sooooo bloody subjective, and how would you know for sure that the refs saw but simply refused to call it? And then there's the question of whether or not you actually believe that the penalties -- all of them, called and non-called -- were "about even". I wouldn't even engage someone on that point, as that's where subjectivity is often on crack.

Even so, as I already said in another thread, and I could be wrong, I believed that Detroit came in flying well above the radar, in a way that seemed, to me at least, like they fully expected the refs to put the whistles away. That, I believe, contributed to more scrutiny of Wings over the Sharks.

I don't care whether the refs saw stuff that they didn't call, or just didn't see it. There are four of them and it's there job to see it (I know it's a fast game and they can't see everything). Either way, they aren't doing a good job. Also, they should be holding both teams to the same standard, not scrutinizing one team more than the other.

There are four of them and it's there job to see it (I know it's a fast game and they can't see everything).

For the record, only two of them can call penalties, and it's my understanding that they can only call penalties that they personally see, and not penalties that they missed, but the linesmen might have seen.

i'm not sure about all the whining and crying going on in this thread. do you guys seriously think you got robbed by the refs? all i hear is complaints about non calls for diving. i haven't read a single legit post about how the refs made a bad call, missed a call or made a non call on the sharks. if anything, they were calling the sharks tighter than the wings to keep the disparity between the numbers more even. the truth is that the refs set the tone of the game with the slashing call on heatley, reinforced the rules with the two calls on big bird and clearly stated the nothing was going to be tolerated when they called boarding on marleau at the end of the first. the sharks realized this and adjusted their game while the wings didn't and went on to commit seven more penalties.

and what does your diving argument really do for the outcome of the games? if it's a dive, then there must have been a wing committing a penalty so the best case scenario would be offsetting minors. and don't be surprised if the refs call a diving penalty on the wings tomorrow just for all the whining they have been doing.

personally, i hope (and i wouldn't be surprised) that the refs call a game for the wings in game 3 or 4. all it's really going to do is expose the real problem for the wings in the series and that is their suspect special teams play.

great...a shark troll to go along with all the penguins trolls from last year.

i wonder how many teeth helm lost when he was crosschecked in the face last game. taht is a 5 minute major and game misconduct for attempt to injure/head shot. there's a difference maker and/or a missed call of large proportions.

sharks fans have no business coming on Lets Go Wings and complaining that the sharks are being "called tighter than the wings" when the sharks spent one third of last game on the power play. nice try bud.

your argument fails epically.

did you read the post? i acknowledged that both calls on big bert were suspect calls. franzen getting cut in the face was a direct result of him tripping setoguchi. hypothetical: would setoguchi turned around and hit franzen in the face had he not been tripped?

more of the same. a diving call only creates offsetting minors. could you guarantee that we wouldn't have scored 4-4 or 4-5 rather than 5-3?

if it's a blatant dive like setuguchi's, there is often only an unsportsmanlike penalty called. therefore, after the 4 on 4 is done, the wings get a PP.

if the diving penalties were called on seto and nabby, along with the helm cross-check to the face, this series is going to Detroit 2-0 wings.

For the record, only two of them can call penalties, and it's my understanding that they can only call penalties that they personally see, and not penalties that they missed, but the linesmen might have seen.

I think the linesman can consult with the refs after the play is stopped, although you're right--that wouldn't apply when they missed the call in the first place.

Edited by Datsyuk Fan

Guest Blackhawkdown

Hey look, San Jose got more powerplays again. Shocking.

I know, it's shocking to think that Detroit may have...I dont know..committed more penalties than the Sharks? I think there should be a full on investigation as to why the Sharks were able to play more disciplined hockey than the Wings. That should NEVER happen.

Well, the officiating stunk once again for the most part, but the Wings have nobody to blame but themselves for this loss. Sure, you can say that if Zetterberg's "kicked in" goal means the Wings would've won with all things staying the same, but it should not have even come to that. No reason why the Wings shouldn't have closed this won out in normal time having a 2 goal lead in the last period.

wings blew this game plain and simple but i dont see how ppl cant understand why we're upset with the way the games are being called thru 3 games the PPs are 22 for the sharks 11 for the wings (and 5 of those came in GM 1). The disparity is what raises my eyebrow not the calls on an individual basis. If the refs want to call the ticky tack stuff then they need to do it both ways. Its kinda hard to dictate the game when your on the PK so much as it was with game 2. Lets look at it game by game, game 1 6-5 PPs sharks, game 2 10-4 Sharks, game 3 6-2 sharks. What really bugs me is that the refs are notorious for evening up the PPs but all of a sudden they dont do that anymore. whys that? Is it a conspiracy, i dont think so but you never no it is within the realm of possibilities look at the NBA with Doughny (sp?) and the games they supposedly helped a certain team. When your afraid to crash the net b/c Nabby will dive or you dont steal the puck b/c you afraid of getting called for a hook those things change the game. right now the sharks are looking at as hey we can pretty much play how we want we arnt getting called where as the wings are probably treading alot more carefully so to speak. and even if the sharks do advance which you nvr know it is the sharks were talking about, you think they can handle the O of the Hawks or Nucks NO Nabby will get lit up like the night on 4 of July plus they've only won each game by 1 goal and thats with all the PP time they are getting. The calls wont keep going the sharks way eventually theyll be on the short end of the stick and all the shark fans will be saying what we're saying now.

In the end the wings should win no matter what happens, but it doesnt help to have asshats for refs that for certain