• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

AIK'91

The First Weekend

Rate this topic

25 is perfect. I have some friends who have never skated before in their life save for the occasional romantic date for a 50 minute "skate" with their girlfriends. They decided to join a D-beer league which is designed for people who have little/no hockey experience. They also signed up for a hockey clinic and they're improving nicely. These kids are right around your age, and their teammates are mostly 30-50 and most are beginners also.

Seriously give it a shot. Get some friends together and get a team going. Its a ton of fun.

Cool! Thank God, there is hope! Thanks for the support, everybody - I really appreciate it. I was feeling kind of dubious about it before, but I'll definitely have to give it a try as soon as school's out.

I wish I could get some friends to go with me, but I'm the only girl I know who likes hockey. Only one of my friends will even go ice skating with me, so I think I'd have a hard time talking them into hockey, hehe. That's ok, though; it'd be nice to meet somebody else, guys or girls, who likes hockey, too...you don't come across them too often in Southern California (although I did talk to a cute guy who was a Kings fan the other day...but I digress).

Cool! Thank God, there is hope! Thanks for the support, everybody - I really appreciate it. I was feeling kind of dubious about it before, but I'll definitely have to give it a try as soon as school's out.

I wish I could get some friends to go with me, but I'm the only girl I know who likes hockey. Only one of my friends will even go ice skating with me, so I think I'd have a hard time talking them into hockey, hehe. That's ok, though; it'd be nice to meet somebody else, guys or girls, who likes hockey, too...you don't come across them too often in Southern California (although I did talk to a cute guy who was a Kings fan the other day...but I digress).

My wife did the same thing, and come to think of it, she was about 26 or 27 when she started. I saw her play indoor coed soccer and realized what a hard nosed defensemen she is, rubbing guys out into the boards, a great sprinter, and very protective of her goalie, and totally territorial of the crease. I wanted to play twice a week, so I told her I would go down to the D league and play on her team if she wanted to learn to play. She did and it's been awesome ever since. Her first season we were a defensive pairing together and were unscored upon in 12 games in a row, she ended up being like a plus 25 or something. Her name is Jen so the guys on the team nick named her "The Jenerator". Now I play center on that team and she's paired with this awesome tiny old guy and they're like best friends now, it's hilarious.

Former Canuck Garth Butcher runs our hockey program. I told him he needs to get us a big old trophy so when we win the championship we have something to hoist and skate around with and hand off to our teammates. The only thing he could find was this huge old trashed trophy with a big cup in the center and a little golfer on the side, so thats what we used. We called it the Happy Gilmore Cup. It was awesome. We each had it at our house for a week or so during the summer. Ha ha ha.

Then the rest of the girls that play at our rink recruited her to go to an all women's tournamnet in Vancouver. It was a hoot. One of the girls on her team was being recruited to play hockey at The Ivy Leauge schools and the girls made it to the championship game but lost cause that girl couldn't make it to that game.

Do it, dude, its a blast.

Edited by T.Low

I had/have the same problem.. about being the only girl who likes hockey. Well, I guess it's more of the only girl who wants to PLAY hockey. I have a couple of friends that are girls that will watch it with me when forced to, but they have no interest in skating or playing.

Southern Cal is where I want to live! My friend and I have been trying to move out that way. I think I might try to finish school first, though. Maybe when I move we can start a team, ha ha ;)

25 is perfect. I have some friends who have never skated before in their life save for the occasional romantic date for a 50 minute "skate" with their girlfriends. They decided to join a D-beer league which is designed for people who have little/no hockey experience. They also signed up for a hockey clinic and they're improving nicely. These kids are right around your age, and their teammates are mostly 30-50 and most are beginners also.

Seriously give it a shot. Get some friends together and get a team going. Its a ton of fun.

Ahh, where are these friends? Tell them to come play with me. I'll trade my non-hockey loving, glad the Wings are out friend for those guys. :lol:

Edited by solnyshko

My wife did the same thing, and come to think of it, she was about 26 or 27 when she started. I saw her play indoor coed soccer and realized what a hard nosed defensemen she is, rubbing guys out into the boards, a great sprinter, and very protective of her goalie, and totally territorial of the crease. I wanted to play twice a week, so I told her I would go down to the D league and play on her team if she wanted to learn to play. She did and it's been awesome ever since. Her first season we were a defensive pairing together and were unscored upon in 12 games in a row, she ended up being like a plus 25 or something. Her name is Jen so the guys on the team nick named her "The Jenerator". Now I play center on that team and she's paired with this awesome tiny old guy and they're like best friends now, it's hilarious.

Former Canuck Garth Butcher runs our hockey program. I told him he needs to get us a big old trophy so when we win the championship we have something to hoist and skate around with and hand off to our teammates. The only thing he could find was this huge old trashed trophy with a big cup in the center and a little golfer on the side, so thats what we used. We called it the Happy Gilmore Cup. It was awesome. We each had it at our house for a week or so during the summer. Ha ha ha.

Then the rest of the girls that play at our rink recruited her to go to an all women's tournamnet in Vancouver. It was a hoot. One of the girls on her team was being recruited to play hockey at The Ivy Leauge schools and the girls made it to the championship game but lost cause that girl couldn't make it to that game.

Do it, dude, its a blast.

Oh, that's awesome that your team is co-ed! I would honestly rather play with guys than girls...I don't know what it is with us, but I swear we're meaner to each other than guys are. It seems like it takes a lot to get a guy to hold a grudge, whereas girls remember little stuff forever and let it grow into this major, lasting hatred. I quit playing soccer in 5th grade because all the teams, including ours, played so dirty (and because I sucked at it). I don't mind a little roughness (obviously, or I wouldn't be into hockey), but it was like a bunch of female mini-Claude Lemieuxs running around. Anyway, I'll have to see if they have a co-ed team around here - I didn't even know they existed! I'm taller than some NHL players, so I think it'd work out. Crossing my fingers that I've magically gotten better at sports since the bad old days!

Congrats on winning the Happy Gilmore Cup, hehe! Lol, that's a great story. Love the "Jenerator" part too, ha!

I had/have the same problem.. about being the only girl who likes hockey. Well, I guess it's more of the only girl who wants to PLAY hockey. I have a couple of friends that are girls that will watch it with me when forced to, but they have no interest in skating or playing.

Southern Cal is where I want to live! My friend and I have been trying to move out that way. I think I might try to finish school first, though. Maybe when I move we can start a team, ha ha ;)

Yep, same here - I lured a couple of my friends into watching some of the Wings-Coyotes games with the promise of alcohol, and I think they had a good time, but they're just not that into it.

I would definitely finish school first - it's frakking expensive to live out here, so you'll need all the diplomas/awards/experience/whatever you can get so you can get a job that'll pay the rent. Not to be a downer or anything, but that's what I'd do. Funnily enough, I want to go to U. of Michigan for grad school, so we might be switching places! If you get out here before I move, though, I'd definitely be down for starting a team. ;)