167 replies to this topic

#161 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:43 AM

of course.

however, he is not eligible for arbitration.

thank you for clarification - I thought he had played 3 years, not just the 2... I still wouldn't be surprised if someone signed him to an offer sheet... he looked really good in the playoffs and is still very young and improving...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#162 hudson

hudson

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:53 AM

thank you for clarification - I thought he had played 3 years, not just the 2... I still wouldn't be surprised if someone signed him to an offer sheet... he looked really good in the playoffs and is still very young and improving...

Agreed. He is the most important RFA for the Hawks. More than Niemi IMO. If the Hawks can't work out a deal with him then it depends on what he is offered from another team. I would think that he is a Hawk next year somehow.

#163 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:38 PM

Chicago currently has 9 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 1 goaltender under contract. After bonuses, they have about $1.99m in cap space. That's tough. Realstically, Hendry will probably cost them around $850k-$1m, Hjalmarsson $2.5m-$3m, and Niemi $2.5m=$3m. Crawford makes $850k, and is a solid tender. So they're $4m-$5m over the cap with 9/5/2 if it's still Niemi/Huet, and they are $2.2m-$2.7m over with Huet/Crawford.

So they need to add four forwards and two defensemen while dropping anywhere between $2.5m-$5m in cap hit.

I expect their lines based on current signed players (and players expected to be retained), playoff combinations and performances to look something like this, without potential trades or free agents:

Versteeg/Toews/Kane
Kopecky/Sharp/Hossa
Brouwer/Bolland/?????
?????/Reasoner/?????
?????

Seabrook/Keith
Campbell/(Hjalmarsson)
(Hendry)/Lalonde
Connelly

Niemi
Crawford

Even this roster, which assumes Huet being sent to the minors and all of the spots with players yet to be signed are at league minimum - not an unlikely proposition on its own - the Hawks are still around $2.5m over the cap. So we can expect to see at least one more move, unless NHL revenues increased by 10% or more; which is not impossible but fairly unlikely. If the Hawks can't find a taker for Campbell, then Sharp seems the most likely candidate, with a guy like Mike Comrie, Brendan Morrison, or Robert Lang perhaps filling the gap left on the second line for $1.25m or less if they would take it.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#164 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

there obviously isn't skill or talent wise, but they are definitely catering to their market of fans, maybe they can retool anthony stewart's career.

How about signing Ray Emery?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#165 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

And the downfall begins..

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#166 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:55 PM

Wings should make a pitch for this guy... the Hawks or just about any team in the Central don't have defensive size to counter this guy. Fatal mistake for the Blackhawks to trade him away. What use will Atlanta or any non-playoff team have for Byfuglien?? he will waste away out there. Trade ATL Hudler and Ozzie for him or Hudler + First round pick.

#167 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:01 PM

Do not like.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#168 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

Chicago currently has 9 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 1 goaltender under contract. After bonuses, they have about $1.99m in cap space. That's tough. Realstically, Hendry will probably cost them around $850k-$1m, Hjalmarsson $2.5m-$3m, and Niemi $2.5m=$3m. Crawford makes $850k, and is a solid tender. So they're $4m-$5m over the cap with 9/5/2 if it's still Niemi/Huet, and they are $2.2m-$2.7m over with Huet/Crawford.

So they need to add four forwards and two defensemen while dropping anywhere between $2.5m-$5m in cap hit.

I expect their lines based on current signed players (and players expected to be retained), playoff combinations and performances to look something like this, without potential trades or free agents:

Versteeg/Toews/Kane
Kopecky/Sharp/Hossa
Brouwer/Bolland/?????
?????/Reasoner/?????
?????

Seabrook/Keith
Campbell/(Hjalmarsson)
(Hendry)/Lalonde
Connelly

Niemi
Crawford

Even this roster, which assumes Huet being sent to the minors and all of the spots with players yet to be signed are at league minimum - not an unlikely proposition on its own - the Hawks are still around $2.5m over the cap. So we can expect to see at least one more move, unless NHL revenues increased by 10% or more; which is not impossible but fairly unlikely. If the Hawks can't find a taker for Campbell, then Sharp seems the most likely candidate, with a guy like Mike Comrie, Brendan Morrison, or Robert Lang perhaps filling the gap left on the second line for $1.25m or less if they would take it.

Good analysis of the problem. It still makes me chuckle to see Kopy up on the second line. :hehe:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain