http://www.redwingscentral.com/prospects/pulkkinen.php

Position: Left Wing

Shoots: Right

Vitals: 5'11'' / 183 lbs.

Birthdate: January 2, 1991

Hometown: Vantaa, Finland

Acquired: Detroit's fourth choice (111st overall) in the 2010 draft

SCOUT COMMENTS

"He loves to have the puck, he loves being on the power play,and he shoots the puck all the time. He's like Jari Kurri. It's a nice thing to say, but it's true, and Jari Kurri wasn't the fastest skater either ... He's a goal-scorer, which is really hard to find these days, but he can also make plays. He has a good shot and he's so smart at finding openings." — Red Wings scout Ari Vuori (June 2010).

STRENGTHS

Described to The Hockey News by one scout as a "pure sniper" with "a great shot" and a "great release" ... Loves to shoot ... Has that dynamic feel as a right shot on the left wing, which opens him up for plenty of one-time opportunities ... Absolutely lethal on the power play ... Hockey sense is outstanding ... Innate knack for finding the spots on the ice in a way not unlike Brett Hull or Jari Kurri ... Underrated as a playmaker, as he has dished out some sweet feeds at the junior level.

WEAKNESSES

Skating is either average or below average, depending on which scout you ask, but without a doubt he lacks the top gear required of smaller wingers ... Skating and lack of size are a concerning combination ... Criticized in his draft year for spending too much time on the perimeter.

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/2010/6/24/1534637/2010-nhl-draft-prospect-teemu

2010 NHL Draft Prospect: Teemu Pulkkinen

Western-lg_tiny by WCHBlog on Jun 24, 2010 11:16 AM PDT Comment 0 comments

Name:Teemu Pulkkinen

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 183

09-10 team: Jokerit(Finland)

09-10 stats: 12 games, 1 goal, 2 assists, 3 points

Prospect Info:

Nobody seems to question Teemu Pulkkinen's abilities once he steps on the ice. On pure talent alone, he may be one of the top ten, maybe even five, players in the draft. But it is Pulkkinen's ability to stay on the ice that will be of great concern for NHL teams. Pulkkinen played very little this year, thanks to a lingering knee injury, that has affected him off and on for two years now, a broken wrist, and a separated shoulder. All three injuries have required surgery, causing questions about how Pulkkinen will handle the physical North American game.

Pulkkinen was a standout performer at this year's U18 tournament, which brought him back into the first round discussion, but shortly after the tournament, he underwent shoulder surgery, and didn't perform at the NHL Combine, since he didn't have all of his medical paperwork in order, though he was able to interview with most teams.

Pulkkinen is a pure sniper with perhaps one of the best shots in the draft. He's also a very smooth stickhandler with the puck. He's not the fastest skater, but he plays on the wing, where his skating is less of an issue, and he's a solidly built player. One area where Pulkkinen will have to improve before playing in the NHL is improving his defensive game.

It's still unclear where Pulkkinen will play next season. He is under contract with Jokerit's pro team for one more year, but there is a brief window this summer where he could transfer to the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL.

Links of Interest:

Pulkkinen Has Top 20 Potential-The Hockey News-April 2010

Pulkkinen Finally Showed True Form at End of Season-NHL.com-June 2010

On WCH...

April 8, 2009: "This kid looks like he's going to be a superstar. He's absolutely electric 1-on-1 against a defender, and made a lot of highly ranked defenseman look absolutely silly. He's a natural goalscorer that could be among the tournament leaders in goals. I've heard a lot of good things about Taylor Hall, and I've been a huge Cam Fowler fan for years now, but Pulkkinen might be good enough to get consideration as the top overall pick in next year's draft."

April 21, 2010: "Teemu Pulkkinen is a kid that I thought was very under-rated in the draft, and being one of this tournament's leading scorers probably brings him back into the first round conversation again, though the way the tournament ended for him today probably doesn't help."

Final Analysis

It's tough to tell where Pulkkinen will go in the draft, because the final decision on whether to gamble on him will likely be made by medical professionals, rather than hockey people. Pulkkinen made the paperwork from all of his surgeries available to any NHL team that was interested, and it will be up to those teams to decide if he is a player that merely ran into some bad luck, or if these physical issues will be a perpetual problem.

Personally, I can't see a player of that talent slipping out of the first round, but he may slip into the middle of the second round or later if teams are nervous about his injury history.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Easily the player I'm most excited about from the draft. This guy is boom or bust, but if he's of the boom variety, we've got ourselves one heck of a player. :thumbup:

I remember in 2008, people were mainly talking about him as an easy top 5 pick. A lot of people (more than 40%) in HFboards even said they'd take him over Hall, and Bob Mckenzie has been quoted saying he has the "hands and shot of a 50 goal m an".

Should be fun to see how he develops.

Does any body know his status of his recovery... I know he was recovering some injuries and surgeries.

I was hoping to see him come down for wings prospect camp and then ship it over to Kelowna and play next season in the states.

Anybody have any updates on him?

Does any body know his status of his recovery... I know he was recovering some injuries and surgeries.

I was hoping to see him come down for wings prospect camp and then ship it over to Kelowna and play next season in the states.

Anybody have any updates on him?

Well a week ago or so, there was a interview on Jokerit official site, there he said he's skating with the team, but no contact allowed yet. Nothing was said when he would be back in full training let alone matchfit.

He said that his shoulder still needs little bit more stregth, but it already feels good.

He also says that he had a bit different summer than usually (training wise). There was lot of strength training and he gained weight also, and less running (atleast long runs).

But anyway, I try to keep you guys updated, as I watch lots of Jokerit games.

European trophy started today, Jokerit won Adler Mannheim 2-1. Nathan Robinson (remember him) scored for Mannheim.

And sorry for my grammar, in know its not correct but I try my best.

AA

Well a week ago or so, there was a interview on Jokerit official site, there he said he's skating with the team, but no contact allowed yet. Nothing was said when he would be back in full training let alone matchfit.

He said that his shoulder still needs little bit more stregth, but it already feels good.

He also says that he had a bit different summer than usually (training wise). There was lot of strength training and he gained weight also, and less running (atleast long runs).

But anyway, I try to keep you guys updated, as I watch lots of Jokerit games.

European trophy started today, Jokerit won Adler Mannheim 2-1. Nathan Robinson (remember him) scored for Mannheim.

And sorry for my grammar, in know its not correct but I try my best.

AA

Your grammar is actually better than some of the American born users on here. :thumbup:

Thanks a lot for the update! I'm pretty excited about him. How do you feel about him as a player?

Hopefully he gets healthy and tears up the world juniors this year. I remember a young Kronwall being hampered by injuries but once he got bigger and older they went away and he became a very good defenseman. Teemu is at an age where he is growing and more prone to injury, but once those days get put behind him he should be one hell of a player.

I also like that he's been gaining weight, as long as its muscle weight

He will play for Jokerit in the Finnish Elite League.

Why? Would it not be better for him to play in North America?? I would like to see him tear up the OHL for 1 season.

What about the year after this one? Will he likely come to NA?

Why? Would it not be better for him to play in North America?? I would like to see him tear up the OHL for 1 season.

I'm not sure what would be best for him at this stage but the Finnish Elite League is a pretty good league and he will be playing against men instead of juniors, much like Flip did before moving to NA and Grand Rapids. Of course it would be good to get him accustomed to the smaller rink and everything but he will have plenty of time for that, he's only 18.

Edited by FinWing

The OHL was never an option, it was either the Finnish Elite League or Kelowna Rockets of the WHL.

Update:

Pulkkinen has played in 2 games in European Trophy.

on Wednesday 2 assists in 3-1 win against HIFK Helsinki, and on friday 1 assist vs Våleranga (Jokerit won 2-1).

Dont know anything else at the moment (icetime, shots...), been too busy this week.

Oh, and Ben Eaves (Patricks brother) made his comeback on fridays game.

next game vs Linköpings HC, wednesday 25th

AA

Your grammar is actually better than some of the American born users on here. :thumbup:

Thanks a lot for the update! I'm pretty excited about him. How do you feel about him as a player?

I really cant say, I only saw him couple times last season, and both times it was on tv. But if you look his stats, I think he will be a really good goal scorer. Will form my opion after the season. I might comment on his play during the season, maybe :yowza:

Pulkkinen just scored from a breakaway. Score is 1-1. After 9mins

2nd period over. 2-1 to Linköping.

Game over. 3-1 to LHC.

Pulkkinen 3 gp 4pts (1+3)

What competition is this? Has the Finish Elite League started?

No points for TP tonight, Jokerit lost 2-1 against Färjestad.

Penalty Färjestad #31 Dick Axelsson 2min for slashing and 2+2 for roughing and Jokerit #18 Semir Ben-Amor 2+2 min for roughning. 2 min PP for Jokerit

Ha! Dick messed with wrong guy (Ben-Amor is finnish version of enforcer) and maybe the best at the moment (imho)

last game of group stage tomorrow against djurgården, jokerit must win to qualify for playoffs.

Djurgården - Jokerit 2-3 after 2nd period.

Pulkkinen got an assist on Jokerit 2nd goal.

3-3 now. 49 mins played.

Overtime.

Winner goes to playoffs.

Yes! Jokerit wins. PP goal at 4 minutes to the overtime.

And yes, it was Pulkkinen!

So 2+4 in 5 games, looking good.

Edited by Finnish Hammer