• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hockey23

Wings offer Aaron Downey Tryout?

Rate this topic

~30? Ritola is 23.

I would rather have Ritola get his chance than let Downey watch from the presser 3/4 of the season. The wings need to find out if they are going to get any return on Ritola and if not trying to get something for him, and if they do pass on him theres still miller sitting ahead of him on the depth chart. Bringing Downey to camp I truly believe serves a three fold purpose #1 being that he can teach some toughness to the kids, #2 Provides some competition for ice time/roster spot (never hurts to lite a fire under kids' asses to get the best out of them) and finally #3 a nod to him as a person, I think both the Wings management and Downey know hes not going to make the team, but, being the class acts Downey and the wings are, hes been given an invite.

30 was my generous guess for the amount of games that the 14th forward will get. I doubt that Draper will sit more than Ritola or Downey, so the 14th forward likely won't get many games. Therefore, why not have a tough player in the press-box for most of the season? Ritola didn't impress (more than being solid) in his time last year and I doubt the 14th forward will see enough time to get a streak going. In addition to the players in Detroit, there are players in GR that will get call-ups (Mursak, Tatar, Tardif).