• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Aussie_Wing

New numbers for a couple of Wings

Rate this topic

That's how I felt about Shanny's 14. And even Igor's 8.

Yep, I feel similarly about Shanny, too...I know it's not going to happen, but I would love to see it. I'm probably even more that way with D-Mac, though, because he was as much of a lifer as he could be and still does stuff with the Wings Alumni and everything.

If you do that though, then you'll eventually have to put 24, 96, 30, and 91 up there and so on and so forth. I personally won't get hot and bothered by this if it happened (which it won't), but putting every jersey number up to the rafters who made a decent contribution to the Wings just because us die-hards want to gets a little beyond the ridiculous line. When does it stop?

I love McCarty for his time here, and while I started watching Red Wings hockey soon after Probert's career went to Chicago, I have little doubt he made solid contributions here as well. But it would not shock me if he is remembered more as a Blackhawk.

25 isn't going to the rafters, nor is 24 anytime soon just because Probert died. Not putting it up to the rafters or temporarily putting it out of circulation, as stated earlier, is not being inconsiderate or whatever. They honored him properly, paid his respects with a proper ceremony/time, nobody will definitely ever forget him but now it is time to move on in life back to the normal routine.

If this makes me inconsiderate, well I'm sorry.

I know, my head is trying to tell my heart these exact same arguments, and I know that it wouldn't be practical to retire all those numbers even though they certainly belonged to awesome players, but I just can't help but think how cool it would be to see 25 in the rafters, and to see the look on his face when they put it up there. Oh well. I'm all for a McCarty Appreciation Day, anyway. :)