• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

I feel good about the season. Dumbrowski actually did some things for the team that should be more than enough to win the division. As far as the AL goes, we have arguably the best hitter (unless you think Hamilton's better), the best pitcher (now that Cliff Lee is gone), and a very good closer. Now we have more protection for Cabrera, a possible legit #2 ace behind Verlander (plus much better rotational depth), and a strengthened bullpen. The only glaring weakness I see is our outfield defense, but I don't think that's a big problem.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

Love the Brad Penny move. I'm not sold on Coke as a starter and Penny is far better than Galarraga at the back end of the rotation when healthy. Rick Porcello is the Tigers x-factor this season. If he comes back strong, the Tigers should win the division. If he's more of last year then I don't like their chances as much.

Defense is very bad, still wish we only had one of Inge or Peralta. Not sure how we get to Valverde yet either. The potential with Zumaya, Perry, Schlereth, etc. is exciting but a lot could go wrong there too.

Make or break for Dombrowski. This team needs to make the playoffs if Ilitch is willing to shell out the big bucks to attract talent.

Edited by GoWings1905

Ricky P had a real strong showing to finish the year off. We need him as the poster above stated. A complete rotation is something that has been proven lately to get a team quite far and in fact win a World Series. The offense is here, we just really need to find a way to make sure our bullpen doesn't get gas canned like last year. BIG year for the rotation.

A look at the future

Jacob Turner.... thumbup.gif Sure sounds good to me.

Turner's fastball has well above-average velocity at 93-96 mph, and the pitch plays up from there due to some natural boring action and highly advanced control for a pitcher so young. He'll flash a plus classic over-the-top curveball, and has refined his changeup to the point where it projects to be at least an average pitch down the road. He has the size and athleticism that scouts look for in a power pitcher, and his arm action is sound.
Edited by HankthaTank

Armando signed

Armando designated for assignment

Pretty much what I was thinking they would do with him. He could prove to be invaluable at some point during the season as it is tough to go a whole year without one of the 5 members of the rotation getting nicked up. I think they made the right choice here.

The Tigers have 10 days to trade, release, or send him to the minors. Galarraga has to clear waivers to be outrighted to the minors. Basically that means that he will no longer be with the Tigers.

Less than a week after signing Armando Galarraga to a one-year deal, the Tigers traded the right-hander to the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for minor-league right-hander Kevin Eichhorn and left-hander Ryan Robowski, according to Sports 620 KTAR-AM's John Gambadoro.

mlive

omewhere between the chaos of free-agent signing season and the warm, comfortable sensation that accompanies the phrase "pitchers and catchers are due to report," there lies the quiet bustle of the Major League Baseball winter caravan. It's a time for players, coaches, broadcasters and the manager to pile into a van and drop by the Rotary Club or mall and give fans reason to feel good about spending their hard-earned cash on tickets.

The Detroit Tigers kicked off their 2011 winter caravan last week with a two-day, 37-stop whirlwind that included visits to Children's Hospital of Michigan, the General Motors plant in Flint and the Hausbeck Pickle and Peppers factory in Saginaw.

Long before the Tigers served as celebrity crew members at the McDonald's in Rochester Hills, general manager David Dombrowski was hearing upbeat reviews of the team's offseason activity.

"Just going around town and living here, the reaction to what we've done has been very positive," Dombrowski said. "People feel really good about it. But you better be good if you're going to win our division."

'Tigers make offseason changes in effort to make big run' | ESPN.com

Projected 25 man roster listed with 2011 projections as well...

Miggy:2011 Prediction: .310, 30 HR, 120 RBI, .924 OPS

Inge:2011 Prediction: .240, 12 HR, 70 RBI, .720 OPS (Hmm, right on par I guess)

A Jack:2011 Prediction: .278, 7 HR, 36 RBI, .722 OPS

Basically, it is all about pitching with this team as it is with most. If our bullpen can hold up dry.gif (Zumaya) and the starting 5 can be what they look like on paper, could be an interesting season at the CoPa. Is it April yet??? Geeeeezzzzzz

mlive

Edited by HankthaTank

Tom Gage just twittered that the Tigers are open to bringing back Bonderman with a minor-league contract, now that Galarraga is gone. Not exactly earth-shattering news (or even surprising), but it makes me wonder whether something official is afoot, with Gage making public comment about it. Yankees were rumored to be interested, but I haven't heard anything in a few weeks on that.

Well we do need the insurance so he should come back imo.

^^^^ thumbup.gif Absolutely! Consistent .300 AVG. 200 hit guy who plays pretty solid defense. Put him at 2nd and we may just have a Polanco type signing. Have always liked this guy and have owned him on like 4 consecutive fantasy baseball teams probably going on a 5th. I was thinking the other day how the Tigers have sort of been molding themselves after the Rangers and if they get this one done it would only just reiterate that.

Young, who debuted with the Rangers in 2000 and in the decade that followed become the de facto captain, contractually can be traded to eight teams, among them the two Los Angeles clubs, Colorado Rockies, St. Louis Cardinals andMinnesota Twins. The Rangers have asked Young to broaden the pool of teams and Young has declined.

Well, damn.

So when manager Jim Leyland hails this a make-or-break year for himself and Dombrowski, he’s not exaggerating. Enough mistakes have been made and enough money misspent that a World Series appearance five years ago no longer will save a job. The Tigers need to be Chrysler-Super Bowl-commercial good, and their roster isn’t lacking.

yahoo article