• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

“His status is the same as everyone else, which is a good thing,” Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. “He was hurt and hurt bad, and now all of a sudden he is feeling great.”

Ball jumping out of Zumaya's hand

Sure sounds promising but all other seasons have taught us not to get too pumped about Zumaya's health. Here is hoping because he can really be a key cog to some competitive baseball. thumbup.gif

Anyone go to tigers fest? Haven't been that cold in a looonngggg time but was damn well worth it. Baseball season can't start soon enough. On a sidenote, vegas gave them 12:1 odds of winning it all. Good bet.

The deadline for Albert Pujols and the St. Louis Cardinals to reach a new contract agreement passed Wednesday with no new deal, making it likely the three-time MVP will test the free-agent market after the season.

yahoo article

That is shocking really. Dude is going to get an insanely large amount of $ going into free-agency next year.

Not bad, VMart.

Classy move by Pujols to avoid dealing with all of this during the season; but it's going to make things tough for the Cards. MLB Network said that during the press conference St Louis' management confirmed that they had only made 1 offer to Pujols after he set the deadline. How do you not throw him as many offers as you possibly can?

Bob Costas brought up a good point. The thought is that Pujols could fetch nearly $10mil/yr; the only teams that could really afford a contract like that - Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies - already have first basemen that aren't going anywhere any time soon. This situation is hardly comfortable for the Cardinals, but that has to be some sort of assurance for their fan base.

The Cubs keep coming up in conversation as a team that could potentially throw a lot of money at Albert in the off-season. I would be thrilled to see him in a Cubbies jersey as they are my NL team.

Miguel Cabrera arrested on DUI

This isn't the fresh start the Tigers wanted out of Miguel Cabrera.

Cabrera was arrested late Wednesday on drunken driving charges in Florida.

Cabrera, 27, was also charged with two counts of resisting an officer without violence.

He was booked at the St. Lucie Countie jail at 12:20 a.m. Thursday and was released at 7:45 a.m. after posting a $1,350 bond.

The St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office said Cabrera's car engine was smoking when a deputy spotted the vehicle before 11 p.m., according to records released Thursday.

According to the arrest report, Cabrera smelled of alcohol, had "heavily slurred" speech and took a swing from a bottle of scotch in front of a deputy. Cabrera refused to submit a Breathalyzer test and was noted as being cocky, combative and argumentative, police said.

Police say Cabrera repeatedly refused to cooperate, saying, "Do you know who I am, you don't know anything about my problems."

Cabrera's arrest comes a little more than a year completing a three-month outpatient treatment program for alcoholism following a much-publicized drinking binge during the final weekend of the 2009 season. Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski said Cabrera was expected to continue the program throughout the 2010 season.

The All-Star first baseman got into a fight with his wife after a night of drinking, right before his team surrendered the American League Central Division title to the Minnesota Twins.

Cabrera was placed into custody by police after a domestic-abuse complaint was filed by his wife in the early morning of Oct. 3 – hours before a crucial game against the Chicago White Sox.

Police said he arrived at his suburban Detroit home at 5 a.m. on Saturday and got into a fight with his wife, who called 911. Cabrera was taken to a police station, where Dombrowski picked him up.

Super disappointing news from Cabrera. He's my favorite Tiger, and I was really happy for him for - what I thought was - turning his life around after that embarrassing end to the 2009 season. This really sucks and I hope that he can put all this stuff behind him for good.

Embarrassing. I thought Cabby announced he was done with this garbage last year after the fiasco in 2009. He's so incredibly talented on the baseball field, but man what a disaster away from it. I will root for him because he's a Tiger, but otherwise domestic violence and DUI doesn't scream to me Curtis Granderson as a human being.

Embarrassing. I thought Cabby announced he was done with this garbage last year after the fiasco in 2009. He's so incredibly talented on the baseball field, but man what a disaster away from it. I will root for him because he's a Tiger, but otherwise domestic violence and DUI doesn't scream to me Curtis Granderson as a human being.

Yeah, he definitely seems to be struggling with this addiction. Sports Illustrated is reporting that the Tigers will be seeking a doctor and additional counseling for Cabrera.

thumbdown.gif Baaaadddd news here. This is the absolute last thing that we need. People calling into 97.1 requesting we trade him....

I just have to ask and for what???? I understand the guy has had some really bad issues with alcohol and at a pivotal time 2 years ago as well but he is arguably the very best player in the league. You cannot trade him. It's quite simply really. Dombrowski and the Tigers need to work with the Cabrera camp immediately and say, "What are we going to do here to make this work?" We need this guy more than people can imagine. The #'s certainly do not lie and he is a perennial MVP candidate. Time to work all of this out now and get him back on the field and ready for the 2011 season. Our success hinges on this.

Detroit Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski said late Thursday afternoon that there is much to be decided and investigated in regard to the handling of All-Star first baseman Miguel Cabrera’s arrest and charges of DUI and resisting an officer without violence. He also received a citation for having an open alcohol container in his vehicle.

mlive

dry.gif Honestly, too pissed off for words currently.

thumbdown.gif Baaaadddd news here. This is the absolute last thing that we need. People calling into 97.1 requesting we trade him....

I just have to ask and for what???? I understand the guy has had some really bad issues with alcohol and at a pivotal time 2 years ago as well but he is arguably the very best player in the league. You cannot trade him. It's quite simply really. Dombrowski and the Tigers need to work with the Cabrera camp immediately and say, "What are we going to do here to make this work?" We need this guy more than people can imagine. The #'s certainly do not lie and he is a perennial MVP candidate. Time to work all of this out now and get him back on the field and ready for the 2011 season. Our success hinges on this.

Agreed. I understand people being upset, but it's a knee-jerk reaction. There's only one 1B in all of Major League Baseball who's better than Cabby and that's Albert Pujols. He's the best right handed hitter in the AL, and now that he's got some protection in the line-up he's going to be a complete force.

Having said that, it's really important that he gets his life in order. This is the pivotal moment of the Tigers entire 2011 season, and it hasn't even started yet. If we have to start the year without him so that he can get treatment - then so be it. Illitch has the pockets to rent-a-player for a couple of months. It's crucially important that Cabby put all of this garbage behind him.

Cabrera will meet with doctors rather than Tigers

“He would love to be here,” Dombrowski said. “He wanted to come yesterday but it didn’t take long [to convince him]. He understands he needs to do what’s best for himself.”

I mean, we already know we want the man to be healthy enough. But we know why that is and unfortunately the fan in me wants him back so we can contend. This goes along with his health. So let's hope this process is somewhat quick.....

Tigers manager Jim Leyland was asked today if he sees Verlander, 28, reaching the 20-win plateau.

“Oh, yeah,” Leyland said, “(and) on a consistent basis.”

mlive

Let's hope so. Verlander-Scherzer-a hopefully resurgent Porcello-Penny could prove to be one of the better rotations in the division and potentially the AL.

If that was any of us, we'd probably be behind bars right now. The drinking scotch in front of the police was just the topper.

He posted bail. He'll be arraigned in March.

He's also at Tigers camp. He'll be addressing the media at 4:30 PM EST.

Yahoo writer sticking it to the Tigers organization and I have got to say I see his point. We aren't taking the right steps here. Yes he is the franchise but the guy has had 2 excessive, highly publicized drunken evenings and one at a crucial point of the season back in 2009. I see his point and the Tigers need to do more:

Miguel Cabrera drank himself into a violent, abusive state in October 2009, and the Detroit Tigers responded by playing him hours after they picked him up from jail. Cabrera drank himself so silly a week ago he didn't bother to stop swigging from a bottle of scotch in front of the police, and the Tigers are responding by welcoming him to spring training like nothing happened.

At this rate, the next time Cabrera takes a drink the Tigers will give him a raise.

yahoo article

Edited by HankthaTank

Yahoo writer sticking it to the Tigers organization and I have got to say I see his point. We aren't taking the right steps here. Yes he is the franchise but the guy has had 2 excessive, highly publicized drunken evenings and one at a crucial point of the season back in 2009. I see his point and the Tigers need to do more:

yahoo article

The Tigers and Major League Baseball are going to see him through a substance abuse program, probably similar to Josh Hamilton's most recent one. He will likely undergo counseling and treatment - and the Tigers organization has said that they are looking into the possibility of having a Hamilton-esque care taker with Cabby; of which Cabrera said he would do whatever it takes.

From Major League Baseball:

"Commissioner Selig is committed to dealing with issues related to the off-field conduct of players, including those involving the misuse of alcohol. In recent years, we have worked with the Major League Baseball Players Association ("MLBPA") to deal proactively with issues of this type.

"Consistent with our policy, over the past several days Miguel Cabrera has been evaluated by representatives of the Treatment Board jointly operated by the Commissioner's Office and the MLBPA. Our Treatment Board is staffed by outstanding doctors who are experts in dealing with addiction issues. Mr. Cabrera has voluntarily cooperated and has been completely forthcoming in this process.

"As a result of the evaluation, the Treatment Board has recommended a multifaceted, professionally-administered program for Mr. Cabrera, which will include supervision as is necessary to ensure that he adheres to his program. Mr. Cabrera understands the importance of this program and is fully committed to the program. He also understands that any future alcohol-related incidents could involve more serious consequences."

On a brighter note.. Here is today's Starting Line-Up for this afternoon's game against the Yankees:

01. CF Jackson

02. LF Raburn

03. RF Ordonez

04. DH Cabrera

05. 1B Martinez

06. SS Peralta

07. 3B Inge

08. 2B Sizemore

09. C Avila

Verlander will take the mound.

Anyone know where one might be able to catch this bad boy online?

The Tigers and Major League Baseball are going to see him through a substance abuse program, probably similar to Josh Hamilton's most recent one. He will likely undergo counseling and treatment - and the Tigers organization has said that they are looking into the possibility of having a Hamilton-esque care taker with Cabby; of which Cabrera said he would do whatever it takes.

From Major League Baseball:

On a brighter note.. Here is today's Starting Line-Up for this afternoon's game against the Yankees:

01. CF Jackson

02. LF Raburn

03. RF Ordonez

04. DH Cabrera

05. 1B Martinez

06. SS Peralta

07. 3B Inge

08. 2B Sizemore

09. C Avila

Verlander will take the mound.

Anyone know where one might be able to catch this bad boy online?

Well I am all for whatever it takes as well. I want to see him come April 8th for the greatest outdoor downtown party there is. We need him and we need him clean. I believe this game is on ESPN as their first game of the season. Not too sure though.