• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wing Across The Pond

Todd Bertuzzi - Emergency Goaltender

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Does anyone know if the Red Wings have a designated emergency goalie? Is it one of the trainers or something? If not, I want this job. I can be the designated west-coast trip emergency tendy. Here me out, my resume is legit:

I only played beer league, but my technique is flawless. I stack the pads on every shot, even if it makes no sense to stack the pads. Every shot. Don't care. Stackin' the pads. A wrap-around? Don't care, stackin' the pads. A shot from the point? Don't care, stackin' the pads. I think it'd be a good publicity thing for the team, "come see the goalie whose only move is to stack the pads." I'm basically super entertaining to watch, on account of how old school I am, and how unusually often I'll stack the pads for no good reason. I'll tell them in advance that I'm gonna do it, and then I'll kick it out. People love a classic padstack. They don't even teach the padstack at hockey school anymore. The Rock had the People's Elbow and I have the People's Padstack. Put me in Blash.

My understanding is that each arena is required to have an emergency goaltender available and on the premises for each game. He (or she) is usually a local beer leaguer, trainer, coach, etc who can be called into play for either team if they lose both of their roster goalies to injury. This happened recently in Chicago IIRC.

https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/03/29/emergency-goalie-takes-over-blackhawks-scott-foster-makes-debut-36-years-old

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

My understanding is that each arena is required to have an emergency goaltender available and on the premises for each game. He (or she) is usually a local beer leaguer, trainer, coach, etc who can be called into play for either team if they lose both of their roster goalies to injury. This happened recently in Chicago IIRC.

https://www.si.com/nhl/2018/03/29/emergency-goalie-takes-over-blackhawks-scott-foster-makes-debut-36-years-old

What if the Wings are in Seattle? Do they use Seattle's emergency goaltender? Surely Emergency goalies don't travel with the team do they?

Just thinking how I would react if I was the emergency goalie and had had to play for say the Hawks, Pens, Leafs. 

Could I control my internal hatred of those teams to make a save. Or the thought of hearing a Wings victory song while on ice knowing I helped be too much for me to handle and I would melt down emotionally.