Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Nabokov claimed by NYI, refuses to report, suspended

• Please log in to reply
1581 replies to this topic

#1541 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:22 AM

Garth Snow's thin skinned antics aren't winning any fans out this way...

Isles' Garth Snow raises ire of beat writers
BY PAT HICKEY, THE GAZETTE APRIL 5, 2011 8:02 AM

The average hockey fan has never heard of Chris Botta, but the Long Island-based blogger has become an unwilling cause célèbre.

When the National Hockey League sent out ballots for its annual awards to members of the Professional Hockey Writers Association last week, the three chapters in the New York metropolitan area announced they were boycotting the vote. They were protesting the fact that New York Islanders general manager Garth Snow revoked Botta's credentials in November.

While everyone involved insists that there was no single issue which led to Snow's unprecedented decision, it's no coincidence that Botta was declared persona non grata after he criticized Snow's decision to fire head coach Scott Gordon.

http://www.faceoff.c...0252/story.html

Detroit; Bringing class and honor back to the Eastern Conference since 2013

14361232487_e1fbf33701.jpg

#1542 miksteri

miksteri

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:47 AM

Waiver is a dumbfck idea, whoever came up with it should be flogged.

#1543 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:11 AM

At this time, I'd like to wish Garth Snow all the best in the playoffs; whenever that may be and with whatever team.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#1544 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:28 AM

I didn't think it was possible to get a worse reputation around the league than Brian Burke while still having a job. WTG, Garth. You're getting there.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#1545 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:40 AM

I didn't think it was possible to get a worse reputation around the league than Brian Burke while still having a job. WTG, Garth. You're getting there.

^ This
IPB Image

#1546 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

Waiver is a dumbfck idea, whoever came up with it should be flogged.

You - as a Finn - should know that this particular waiver rule was created because of a certain player called Reijo Ruotsalainen.

Read more about it here.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 05 April 2011 - 10:02 AM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#1547 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

not letting the guy play for his country he is pretty weak. im sure all the free agents will want to go play for that GM..... <_<

#1548 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:51 AM

Because Nabokov refused to report to Long Islande and was subesquently suspended, both the team and league believe the Isles can toll his contract for the 2011-2012 season. This tolling potential is the reason why the Islanders denied the Russian Federation’s request to allow Nabokov to play in an exhibition game last week with their Russian national team and the impact his playing in the Worlds may also have on dragging Nabokov’s rights to next season presents a gamble that the Islanders, at this point, aren’t willing to take.

http://www.kuklaskor...b_as_world_cha/

Sour grapes or not, it sounds like they're also afraid letting him play in World's weakens their case to toll his contract next season.

Either way, it's not a surprising move to me. A goalie you legally required by the rules of the CBA refuses to play for your team, yet you should let him go off and play in the Worlds?

#1549 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:08 PM

At this time, I'd like to wish Garth Snow all the best in the playoffs; whenever that may be and with whatever team.

I feel sorry for Tavares.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#1550 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

It sucks he can't play for us, but at the same time everyone knew the rules going in. NYI has the right to do what they did.

#1551 spongebob is a wings fan

spongebob is a wings fan

11 TIME CHAMPS

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:28 PM

I hope after his contract he bails he is wasting his time in New York

#1552 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:29 PM

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tmr/comments/evgeni_nabokov_and_islanders_continue_to_snub_and_counter-snub_as_world_cha/

Sour grapes or not, it sounds like they're also afraid letting him play in World's weakens their case to toll his contract next season.

Either way, it's not a surprising move to me. A goalie you legally required by the rules of the CBA refuses to play for your team, yet you should let him go off and play in the Worlds?

I get that part; the part I'm shaking my head at was this: While everyone involved insists that there was no single issue which led to Snow's unprecedented decision, it's no coincidence that Botta was declared persona non grata after he criticized Snow's decision to fire head coach Scott Gordon.

Seriously? "You're being a meanie. Go away."
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#1553 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

Persaonlly I don't know all the specifics on how allowing Nabokov to play in the Worlds would adversely affect the Isles' ability to toll the contract. That being said, if there would be said negative impact and a potential that they would not be able to toll the contract if they were to let him play in the Worlds (and their intent is to at least explore the option of tolling the contract) then I can understand why they are refusing to allow him to do so.

At the same time, to me the World Championships have nothing to do with the NHL and nothing to do with SPC (Standard Player Contracts) so as I said above I don't understand how this would have any adverse affect on them being able to toll the contract. From what I know and understand about the situation at this point it seems more like Snow and the Isles sticking it to Nabokov. But as I said, if it legitimately does affect their ability to toll the contract and they're even thinking about potentially doing so then fair enough.

Another interesting point to remember is that the Isles did also re-sign Al Montoya. Kevin Poulin is also still under contract and of course Rick Di Pietro will still be on the Island. The only reason to toll Nabokov's contract would be to trade him.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#1554 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:50 PM

Tretiak on the situation with Nabokov: "During the game on Saturday Garth Snow called me. He said that he is clearing legal questions with the League...
The Islanders are afraid of losing Nabokov, because he is in their future plans."

Re Nabokov playing for the National team in the Worlds, Snow reportedly told Tretiak everything should be cleared by Tuesday.

ROFL

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#1555 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:08 PM

Don't know reliable this is:

http://twitter.com/#!/dchesnokov

Re Nabokov playing for the National team in the Worlds, Snow reportedly told Tretiak everything should be cleared by Tuesday.

#1556 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:27 PM

+1 I hope he get's out of there once his contract is done
IPB Image

#1557 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:42 PM

if Nabby reports to the Isle for the last few games they have left, would this lift his suspension and make him a UFA next season?
if so kenny should ring Nabby tell him to swallow his pride and report, then there will be a contract waiting at the joe in the off
season for him. That does seem to simple to be true but is it?
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#1558 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

if Nabby reports to the Isle for the last few games they have left, would this lift his suspension and make him a UFA next season?
if so kenny should ring Nabby tell him to swallow his pride and report, then there will be a contract waiting at the joe in the off
season for him. That does seem to simple to be true but is it?

I think this is technically illegal. Nabby is Islanders property and consequently can't be talked to about joining other teams. Although I may be incorrect.

#1559 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

I think this is technically illegal. Nabby is Islanders property and consequently can't be talked to about joining other teams. Although I may be incorrect.

Rules have been bent before when getting Russian hockey players to Detroit.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#1560 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

I don't see why Nabokov should care at all about getting the Islanders' permission, seeing as he has no intention of playing for them. What are they going to do, slap with the dreaded secret double probation?
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock