• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
egroen

Lidstrom a +1 for the Season

Rate this topic

A person gets a two minute penalty for a minor infraction. They also may be assessed a double minor in certain circumstances. Five minute penalties are giving out for majors. High sticking, boarding, and fighting are the most common. A ten minute misconduct can also be assessed as well as a game misconduct.

Reciting stuff is fun!

As for your second part, I'm guessing you assume Erik Karlsson is an excellent defensive defenseman although his league worst plus minus says otherwise. He must have had a lot of unlucky situations happen to him for his plus minus to be that atrocious. His -10 in the past ten games where his team only gave up 26 goals total is because he just happened to step on the ice the moment a goal was being scored eh?

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

If you had understood my post, you would have picked up on this. Plus minus is not an accurate display of a player's capability and should not be used as such. Certainly being worse defensively is going to negatively impact your plus-minus, but if you had to compare two players' defensive ability, there are so many factors outside of the player himself that affect the player's plus-minus. The other ten players on the ice for example, especially the goaltenders. If the Canucks maintain two minutes of sustained offensive pressure, and then a random clear down the ice slips past Luongo... should the Canucks players get minuses?

Basing a player's defensive performance on a stat that is based on goaltender performance is a ridiculous concept.

Rob Blake won over Lidstrom in '98 despite having less points and a negative +/-. That was before the voters acknowledged defense could be played without crushing hits, however.

That was before voters acknowledged Europeans as top players.

Lidstrom's current defense is like a 150 pt season from Gretzky - not his best, but still one of the best in the game

That's making the argument that Lidstrom's current season is one of the greatest defensive performances of all-time.

Perhaps you don't realize how rare a 150+ point season has been in NHL history. It has been done nine times by Gretzky, four by Lemieux, once by Yzerman, once by Esposito, and once by Nicholls.

That's it.

Lidstrom certainly has not been putting on one of the sixteen best defensive performances of all-time this season.

That's making the argument that Lidstrom's current season is one of the greatest defensive performances of all-time.

Perhaps you don't realize how rare a 150+ point season has been in NHL history. It has been done nine times by Gretzky, four by Lemieux, once by Yzerman, once by Esposito, and once by Nicholls.

That's it.

Lidstrom certainly has not been putting on one of the sixteen best defensive performances of all-time this season.

Nitpick much?

Then why are you arguing with me?

I believed we were arguing the fact that I think his defensive play, while still stellar in comparison to his peers, has not been as good this season as in seasons past. And we seem to disagree about whether or not +/- is a useful statistic at all in that regard. I think it has some relevance. You seem to think otherwise. At least that's what I gathered from your posts.

I don't think i'm so much as arguing with you as I was clarifying my position. I assumed you didn't understand my position otherwise you wouldn't have made that comparison between Nick and Rafs +/-, suggesting that that's the only way I measure a player's defensive play.

Like most here I assume, I watch the games. Watching the past 3-4 seasons I have noticed Nick on the ice for goals that simply make me shake my head numerous times. That wasn't the case for me prior to that. That might be a misperception on my part but I used to never worry when Nick was on the ice. It was almost a given that the puck wasn't going in our net. That has changed some over time. Doesn't necessarily mean Nick isn't still better than everyone else. Perhaps it just means I think Nick isn't as good as Nick used to be.

That's it.

You are being nit-picky :)

We'll say a 110 pt season this year, down from 150 pts only a couple seasons ago.

I do consider Lidstrom amongst the greatest ever 'defensively' - amongst the likes of Harvey, Savard and Langway.

Edited by egroen