• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Abdelkader

Rate this topic

Have to agree that even though I've always felt Abdelkader is an awful fighter, he looked alot better there. He's looking a little better with each fight.

It's all about experience. The more he fights the better he'll get.

Yeah it sucks, he lost out on 4 years of fighting and rough stuff experience playing in the NCAA, thats why its rare to see good fighters come straight out of the college route but some usually end up scrapping a bit a few years in.

When you have a guy like Boyce who was fighting for 4 years consistently in the OHL and a few years in the AHL and Abby who has fought for a season and a half really its hard not to say he has improved a lot when he hung in there really well and also got a win against Ott who is very experienced.

2 or 3 years and hes a pretty good middleweight, I'm willing to bet on it !

Yeah it sucks, he lost out on 4 years of fighting and rough stuff experience playing in the NCAA, thats why its rare to see good fighters come straight out of the college route but some usually end up scrapping a bit a few years in.

When you have a guy like Boyce who was fighting for 4 years consistently in the OHL and a few years in the AHL and Abby who has fought for a season and a half really its hard not to say he has improved a lot when he hung in there really well and also got a win against Ott who is very experienced.

2 or 3 years and hes a pretty good middleweight, I'm willing to bet on it !

I was about to make that picture my avatar too....

Abby has definitely gotten better in his balance. His execution still needs work, but that will come with experience now that his balance has improved so much.

I was about to make that picture my avatar too....

Abby has definitely gotten better in his balance. His execution still needs work, but that will come with experience now that his balance has improved so much.

You snooze you lose haha :P

Good to see them drop the visors. Hopefully Abdelkader sticks with this role.

Enh, I wouldn't count on it from him.

I'd be happy if he simply gave the opponent something to worry about. Whether it be a punishing game with his hits, an agitating demeanor, etc.

Right now he looks like he's more in the mold of a Dan Cleary and not the Dallas Drake the Wings management said he would be.

Enh, I wouldn't count on it from him.

I'd be happy if he simply gave the opponent something to worry about. Whether it be a punishing game with his hits, an agitating demeanor, etc.

Right now he looks like he's more in the mold of a Dan Cleary and not the Dallas Drake the Wings management said he would be.

That's what I meant. I realize he isn't gonna be a big scrapper. I'd like to see him stick with the style of play that got him here in the first place: finishing checks and getting under the opponent's skin, as well as chipping in offensively on occasion.

That's what I meant. I realize he isn't gonna be a big scrapper. I'd like to see him stick with the style of play that got him here in the first place: finishing checks and getting under the opponent's skin, as well as chipping in offensively on occasion.

I was wondering how long it would take you to find this thread. You haven't been around much lately.

Must be proud about Abby ditching the lid? I know thats a pet peeve of yours

I was wondering how long it would take you to find this thread. You haven't been around much lately.

Must be proud about Abby ditching the lid? I know thats a pet peeve of yours

Yeah i've been working a lot lately. Between school and work, there's not much time for anything else. Missed a ton of games lately, as well.

I wish he'd ditch the lid all the time, but I realize it's a "spur of the moment" thing.

Good to see him "stick up for" Raf on that check. The more you looked at it I would say it was over-analyzed by Mick with the knee being out like that. Either way, it appears that this thread has also worked for mojo with Abby and he has really put together some solid efforts and throwing the weight again on a consistent basis too. thumbup.gif Keep it up!

Good to see him "stick up for" Raf on that check. The more you looked at it I would say it was over-analyzed by Mick with the knee being out like that. Either way, it appears that this thread has also worked for mojo with Abby and he has really put together some solid efforts and throwing the weight again on a consistent basis too. thumbup.gif Keep it up!

Just in time for playoffs, where players like him usually thrive might I add :thumbup:

Just in time for playoffs, where players like him usually thrive might I add :thumbup:

Exactly. And it's not like he hadn't been throwing it because he really is just a battering ram out there for the most part. Just seems like the warmer months have triggered another gear, as it does with all players with the "playoff push". Would love to see his game get even better.

I saw someone on HF boards saying Abby had another big hit again tonight (I missed it), from the parts of the game I saw he looked to be throwing around the body once again

Yeah, he had a pretty good game.

Offensively he has been ridiculously frustrating at times, but he can improve.

Yeah, he had a pretty good game.

Offensively he has been ridiculously frustrating at times, but he can improve.

Yeah it kind of reminds me of Helm in that way. Came up, played a year and couldnt do much but check and skate hard, now hes finally breaking out a bit.

I'm thinking a similar thing can happen for Abby next season with a good year under his belt.

This is why I kind of wonder if the overripe thing is really always best, it still takes a year or so adjustment period and you lose out on a lot of prime years for some players

Guest Heaten

I had high expectations from Abs because of how well Helm has been since he broke out in the NHL. I'm giving up hope that Abdelkader will ever be the player that I was hoping he'd become. Gritty power forward that could put up 20-25 goals and a few fights. I don't care that he doesn't fight, but his offense has been pretty deflating to me.

I had high expectations from Abs because of how well Helm has been since he broke out in the NHL. I'm giving up hope that Abdelkader will ever be the player that I was hoping he'd become. Gritty power forward that could put up 20-25 goals and a few fights. I don't care that he doesn't fight, but his offense has been pretty deflating to me.

Very much agreed. Even coming into this season I expected him to be a 20-20 type guy in the NHL; alas I don’t think he’ll ever put up those numbers. I just don’t think he has the hands to be able to be a scorer so I expect him to be a 10-15 guy. I know he’s hated on here, but I think he’s a slightly less skilled version of Kopecky.

Very much agreed. Even coming into this season I expected him to be a 20-20 type guy in the NHL; alas I don’t think he’ll ever put up those numbers. I just don’t think he has the hands to be able to be a scorer so I expect him to be a 10-15 guy. I know he’s hated on here, but I think he’s a slightly less skilled version of Kopecky.

Less skilled then Kopecky? He already skates better, is meaner, has better balance and i woulda say much better hands.

Some people are saying hes a grinder already because he hasnt produced huge in his first full NHL season. He is showing more offensive promise then what Helm was in his first full season. Also dont forget Abby is probably the next big body getting PP time infront of the net, he'll produce more there

Kopecky is playing on a much better line than Abby. Also, with the Wings Kope only had 19 points in his best season. Abby should come close to matching that this year. I think that Abby will be a better player, but he likely won't get as good of linemates while Cleary, Homer, Bert are on the team. Therefore, his number will be lower than Kope's but I don't think they tell the whole story.

Simply put... his best game as a Red Wing. Way to go #8!!!! thumbup.gif

2 goals in a 3-0 comeback and a few big hits. ALso getting in peoples faces and not backing down.. where was this all season? Oh well I still love it :thumbup:

2 goals in a 3-0 comeback and a few big hits. ALso getting in peoples faces and not backing down.. where was this all season? Oh well I still love it :thumbup:

He has deserved to be on the scoresheet. I have felt it lately, him being with Bert and Mule is honestly a perfect combo. Keep it up Abby! Lovvvvin it brotha!