• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:22 PM

Ever since he was moved to wing and everyone has been healthy he finally looks like he is playing physical again. The last few games hes had at least one big run at someone. He really is better suited to play wing and hopefully he stays there from here on out

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#2 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

I still think he could use some time in the forward rotation of sitting out. Personally, I think both Miller and Draper have been better than Abdelkader.

Babs must disagree because apparently Abdelkader's scoring touch is superior to our other forwards in a game with an extra attacker. That one is quite puzzling - every forward dressed last night is a better goal scorer than Abdelkader.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#3 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:33 PM

I still think he could use some time in the forward rotation of sitting out. Personally, I think both Miller and Draper have been better than Abdelkader.

Babs must disagree because apparently Abdelkader's scoring touch is superior to our other forwards in a game with an extra attacker. That one is quite puzzling - every forward dressed last night is a better goal scorer than Abdelkader.

I think sitting him would be a great idea as well to try and get back that hunger he seemed to have at the start of the season when he had like 7 points in 9 games and was laying guys out (cough luke schenn cough) a lot.

When Abdelkader is on his game he is much more effective then Miller, Draper, and Eaves

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#4 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

he needs to be in the pressbox till he plays with the tenacity that he played with after he got sent down to the griffs last year.

and im not talking one game im talking like 5, babs needs to get him good and pissed off.

Edited by wings1110, 04 March 2011 - 04:43 PM.

#5 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:47 PM

Where.Has.He.Gone?

I am all for whatever gets him to play like he did during the playoffs of last year and '09. He needs to get like the rest of this team does. HUNGRY AGAIN. Posted Image

He has definitely looked a lot more gritty and tenacious on the wing and I have seen SHADES of the old Abby but still not getting it done. Last night we were getting just pushed around at times and could have used an equalizing type play. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Edited by HankthaTank, 04 March 2011 - 04:51 PM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#6 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:50 PM

Wait...you mean you didn't start this thread to bash Abby? I think he has been more physical lately, too. A few games back, I remember somebody took a run at him or hit him hard (think he got laid out behind the net), I told my g/f, lookout, Abby's gonna knock somebody's head off. 2 seconds later, Abby comes flying in off screen slamming bodies. Just the way we like it.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#7 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:03 PM

when eaves is ready ABBY should ride the pine. INVISIBLE.

#8 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

when eaves is ready ABBY should ride the pine. INVISIBLE.

Even though he doesn't play a huge role on this team, it's pretty easy to see that the Wings could use Eaves right now. He works hard on the PK and has pretty decent chemistry with Helm and Draper. We could have used more effective 3rd and 4th lines last night.

#9 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:26 AM

All I know is that I learned a random historical fact today that a man named Abd-el-kader was a North African rebel in the mid-19th century that caused quite a ruckus.

Connect that to Abdelkader's hockey play however you see fit.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#10 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:19 AM

You all are forgetting Abby is one of our best pk men. Shame on you guys. Having said that in truth having him sit a game or two here and there isn't such a bad thing for anyone. Wouldn't mind seeing some other guys on the top lines sit here and there for a wake up call either....

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 05 March 2011 - 09:20 AM.

#11 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:32 PM

You all are forgetting Abby is one of our best pk men. Shame on you guys. Having said that in truth having him sit a game or two here and there isn't such a bad thing for anyone. Wouldn't mind seeing some other guys on the top lines sit here and there for a wake up call either....

I would argue that Zetterberg, Eaves, Stuart, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, and Miller are all on the same level of PKer or better than Abby, he seems to be playing very uninspired hockey lately, and I think we all expect a lot more out of him. Honestly, I see him as a 40 point a year player who can hit and kill penalties, and he just hasn't shown this as much in the last 20 games or so.

I also vote sit him in favor of Miller for a few games, then let him play, see if him knowing his roster spot is not guaranteed and needs to be earned just like anyone not named Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, etc.

Edited by Shaman464, 05 March 2011 - 01:34 PM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#12 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:46 PM

I'd put Helm, Eaves and Miller all ahead of Abdelkader for penalty killing in terms of regulars. We also have two Selke calibre forwards that could PK at any point quite well if there wasn't the desire to keep their minutes down. Not to mention, Filppula and Cleary who are pretty strong in their own right.

I want Abdelkader to run people over and forecheck like crazy. Not that he isn't qualified for the role, but we have plenty of strong defensive forwards that can kill penalties.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#13 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

I'd put Helm, Eaves and Miller all ahead of Abdelkader for penalty killing in terms of regulars. We also have two Selke calibre forwards that could PK at any point quite well if there wasn't the desire to keep their minutes down. Not to mention, Filppula and Cleary who are pretty strong in their own right.

I want Abdelkader to run people over and forecheck like crazy. Not that he isn't qualified for the role, but we have plenty of strong defensive forwards that can kill penalties.

Yeah I would too however he would then be #4. Not a bad thing when neglecting Dats, Zetty, Cleary, Franzen, Draper and Flip. I find him better defensively on the kill compared to Zetterberg and Dats. I also believe there is a reason why Babs plays Justin a lot on the kill. Justin always works hard and still is improving imo. I was hoping for him to have more of a breakout season this year probably like a lot of other people but no worries.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 05 March 2011 - 02:15 PM.

#14 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:35 PM

Yeah I would too however he would then be #4. Not a bad thing when neglecting Dats, Zetty, Cleary, Franzen, Draper and Flip. I find him better defensively on the kill compared to Zetterberg and Dats. I also believe there is a reason why Babs plays Justin a lot on the kill. Justin always works hard and still is improving imo. I was hoping for him to have more of a breakout season this year probably like a lot of other people but no worries.

I would disagree with this, I think babs puts other players on the kill because the 18-22 minutes a night that Z and Dats play are better served as 5 on 5 or PP time. (I mean Abs will NEVER be a Selke level forward so to say hes better defensively in any capacity is pretty laughable). Even work horses like them can only log so many minutes a night and since the emergence of Eaves, Flip, Miller, and Abs as good PKers has happened its allowed Babcock to not have to use Z and Dats so much on the PK. Now if its games 7 of the Stanley cup playoffs and they need to for sure kill a penalty, I will bet my bottom dollar you'll see Z out there before abs.

Edited by Shaman464, 05 March 2011 - 02:36 PM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#15 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:09 PM

I'm just glad to see him in a Red Wings Jersey but yes I do think he is beter suited as a Wing and I do hope that he can stay there.

#16 hockeychik25

hockeychik25

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:39 PM

i wanna see him fight again.. a real fight.
Piet Van Zant and Kevin Rand better watch out, one day I will be athletic trainer for the wings or tigers! :)

#17 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

He just a spare part at this point. Enjoy your healthy scratch.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#18 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:29 PM

when has he had one that was good and didnt go to the ice quickly?

Edited by wings1110, 06 March 2011 - 02:30 PM.

#19 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,025 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:34 PM

I havent noticed him in forever. Huge disappointment this season, didnt people say he was tough? At least Ericssons fought a few times. I mean at the very least with Abby he could throw a few hard hits on the forecheck, it's not like we have a ton of guys who do that..

#NOMOREKINDL

#20 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

I havent noticed him in forever. Huge disappointment this season, didnt people say he was tough? At least Ericssons fought a few times. I mean at the very least with Abby he could throw a few hard hits on the forecheck, it's not like we have a ton of guys who do that..

Detroit management said no more being tough, its not allowed here