• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Abdelkader

Rate this topic

Ever since he was moved to wing and everyone has been healthy he finally looks like he is playing physical again. The last few games hes had at least one big run at someone. He really is better suited to play wing and hopefully he stays there from here on out

I still think he could use some time in the forward rotation of sitting out. Personally, I think both Miller and Draper have been better than Abdelkader.

Babs must disagree because apparently Abdelkader's scoring touch is superior to our other forwards in a game with an extra attacker. That one is quite puzzling - every forward dressed last night is a better goal scorer than Abdelkader.

I still think he could use some time in the forward rotation of sitting out. Personally, I think both Miller and Draper have been better than Abdelkader.

Babs must disagree because apparently Abdelkader's scoring touch is superior to our other forwards in a game with an extra attacker. That one is quite puzzling - every forward dressed last night is a better goal scorer than Abdelkader.

I think sitting him would be a great idea as well to try and get back that hunger he seemed to have at the start of the season when he had like 7 points in 9 games and was laying guys out (cough luke schenn cough) a lot.

When Abdelkader is on his game he is much more effective then Miller, Draper, and Eaves

he needs to be in the pressbox till he plays with the tenacity that he played with after he got sent down to the griffs last year.

and im not talking one game im talking like 5, babs needs to get him good and pissed off.

Edited by wings1110

Where.Has.He.Gone?

I am all for whatever gets him to play like he did during the playoffs of last year and '09. He needs to get like the rest of this team does. HUNGRY AGAIN. ranting.gif

He has definitely looked a lot more gritty and tenacious on the wing and I have seen SHADES of the old Abby but still not getting it done. Last night we were getting just pushed around at times and could have used an equalizing type play. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Edited by HankthaTank

Wait...you mean you didn't start this thread to bash Abby? I think he has been more physical lately, too. A few games back, I remember somebody took a run at him or hit him hard (think he got laid out behind the net), I told my g/f, lookout, Abby's gonna knock somebody's head off. 2 seconds later, Abby comes flying in off screen slamming bodies. Just the way we like it.

when eaves is ready ABBY should ride the pine. INVISIBLE.

Even though he doesn't play a huge role on this team, it's pretty easy to see that the Wings could use Eaves right now. He works hard on the PK and has pretty decent chemistry with Helm and Draper. We could have used more effective 3rd and 4th lines last night.

You all are forgetting Abby is one of our best pk men. Shame on you guys. Having said that in truth having him sit a game or two here and there isn't such a bad thing for anyone. Wouldn't mind seeing some other guys on the top lines sit here and there for a wake up call either....

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

You all are forgetting Abby is one of our best pk men. Shame on you guys. Having said that in truth having him sit a game or two here and there isn't such a bad thing for anyone. Wouldn't mind seeing some other guys on the top lines sit here and there for a wake up call either....

I would argue that Zetterberg, Eaves, Stuart, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, and Miller are all on the same level of PKer or better than Abby, he seems to be playing very uninspired hockey lately, and I think we all expect a lot more out of him. Honestly, I see him as a 40 point a year player who can hit and kill penalties, and he just hasn't shown this as much in the last 20 games or so.

I also vote sit him in favor of Miller for a few games, then let him play, see if him knowing his roster spot is not guaranteed and needs to be earned just like anyone not named Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, etc.

Edited by Shaman464

I'd put Helm, Eaves and Miller all ahead of Abdelkader for penalty killing in terms of regulars. We also have two Selke calibre forwards that could PK at any point quite well if there wasn't the desire to keep their minutes down. Not to mention, Filppula and Cleary who are pretty strong in their own right.

I want Abdelkader to run people over and forecheck like crazy. Not that he isn't qualified for the role, but we have plenty of strong defensive forwards that can kill penalties.

I'd put Helm, Eaves and Miller all ahead of Abdelkader for penalty killing in terms of regulars. We also have two Selke calibre forwards that could PK at any point quite well if there wasn't the desire to keep their minutes down. Not to mention, Filppula and Cleary who are pretty strong in their own right.

I want Abdelkader to run people over and forecheck like crazy. Not that he isn't qualified for the role, but we have plenty of strong defensive forwards that can kill penalties.

Yeah I would too however he would then be #4. Not a bad thing when neglecting Dats, Zetty, Cleary, Franzen, Draper and Flip. I find him better defensively on the kill compared to Zetterberg and Dats. I also believe there is a reason why Babs plays Justin a lot on the kill. Justin always works hard and still is improving imo. I was hoping for him to have more of a breakout season this year probably like a lot of other people but no worries.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Yeah I would too however he would then be #4. Not a bad thing when neglecting Dats, Zetty, Cleary, Franzen, Draper and Flip. I find him better defensively on the kill compared to Zetterberg and Dats. I also believe there is a reason why Babs plays Justin a lot on the kill. Justin always works hard and still is improving imo. I was hoping for him to have more of a breakout season this year probably like a lot of other people but no worries.

I would disagree with this, I think babs puts other players on the kill because the 18-22 minutes a night that Z and Dats play are better served as 5 on 5 or PP time. (I mean Abs will NEVER be a Selke level forward so to say hes better defensively in any capacity is pretty laughable). Even work horses like them can only log so many minutes a night and since the emergence of Eaves, Flip, Miller, and Abs as good PKers has happened its allowed Babcock to not have to use Z and Dats so much on the PK. Now if its games 7 of the Stanley cup playoffs and they need to for sure kill a penalty, I will bet my bottom dollar you'll see Z out there before abs.

Edited by Shaman464

I havent noticed him in forever. Huge disappointment this season, didnt people say he was tough? At least Ericssons fought a few times. I mean at the very least with Abby he could throw a few hard hits on the forecheck, it's not like we have a ton of guys who do that..

I havent noticed him in forever. Huge disappointment this season, didnt people say he was tough? At least Ericssons fought a few times. I mean at the very least with Abby he could throw a few hard hits on the forecheck, it's not like we have a ton of guys who do that..

Detroit management said no more being tough, its not allowed here

Detroit management said no more being tough, its not allowed here

Must have used the same tactic on guys like McCarty and Kocur back in the day with the SAME management. Same tired excuses from a guy with an Abby avatar. Go figure.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I think in Abdelkader's case it may be due to being overcoached. To get into the NHL Abs played his style of game which endeared him to what Babs wanted. An element that was sorely needed. A player who can come in and be tough to play against and provide the odd goal. But now that Abs is an NHL regular, he could have his coaches telling DO THIS AND DON'T DO THAT. DON'T TAKE BAD PENALTIES, PICK YOUR SPOTS, ETC. I've seen is alot over the years with various players on other teams. While some guys are cereberal assassins (like Lidstrom) and can think the game miles ahead of everyone else, most players need to just play. Maybe I am off base here but when I watch Abs I don't think it's a lack of effort, I think he is playing hesitant because his coaches have him scared s***less. It's like he is afraid to make a mistake which is the worst thing a coach can do. It's like they've cut his balls off and now he has lost his drive.

Must have used the same tactic on guys like McCarty and Kocur back in the day with the SAME management. Same tired excuses from a guy with an Abby avatar. Go figure.

Abby was never an enforcer or anything resembling one. He is probably the toughest player on the Wings (E fights better, but Abby hits more) and I think we expected him to playe tougher because of this. There are no excuses because he is not that type of player. Abby is a the perfect definition of a grinder. He showed a scoring touch earlier in the year playing with the third line, but his offense has stagnated since moving back to the fourth. Hopefully he can get some more chances with a scoring line. I would say he's a bit like Clutterbuck- can score if put in that role, and can play a good defensive grinding fourth line role.

Abby was never an enforcer or anything resembling one. He is probably the toughest player on the Wings (E fights better, but Abby hits more) and I think we expected him to playe tougher because of this. There are no excuses because he is not that type of player. Abby is a the perfect definition of a grinder. He showed a scoring touch earlier in the year playing with the third line, but his offense has stagnated since moving back to the fourth. Hopefully he can get some more chances with a scoring line. I would say he's a bit like Clutterbuck- can score if put in that role, and can play a good defensive grinding fourth line role.

Was more piggybacking off the "Wings management have told him to not be tough" post. I understand he isn't an "ENFORCER" and will never be. He has been hitting again as of late which is nice but would still like to see a bit more from him when he gets challenged. Been seeing him skate the other way at times. And don't get me started on Ericsson.......