• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:54 AM

Just do a flash mob after the first Wings goal. They can't stop 1,000-2,000 Wing fans from tossing Pi' on the ice all at once.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#42 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:58 AM

one more suggestion.
how about writing an open letter to Mr. and Mrs. Ilitch, to Mr. Holland and other owner and GM. Publish it, spread the word around and let fans sign this letter. These are NHL owners, these employs Mr. Battman.
May be I'm naive, but if this little lawyer hears something from his employer he will for sure pay attention.

#43 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:00 PM

Sure, it's up to police/DA. But think what can happen next.
Battman is a little ***** lawyer, his sole purpose in life is to mess with people using law. The very next day after octopus hit the ice and no one arrested, man in a plain cloth and paychecks from NHL will file a complaint against a police officer/ security guard for .... (letting this happen, but written in lawyers language), and there would be a few witnesses who would testify...

It's a stretch. Moreover, a stretch I already addressed. There is massive precedent in the US legal system for 'common sense' law enforcement. Police are perfectly within their rights to issue warnings or just look the other way when no harm is caused.

If the NHL even tried that, which I doubt they would, they would likely find themselves facing sanctions for frivolous litigation. Possibly even a counter-suit for harassment from the city of Detroit.

By all means, please continue to hate Bettman. Just be sure to hate the DPD too (if they actually decide to enforce this).

#44 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,821 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:01 PM

"Officer Bullock informed me that the enforcement of Municipal Code 38-5-4 is at the request of the NHL. Evidently, police supervisors were informed Wednesday night, either before or during the game, by League representatives that they don't want anything thrown on the ice. An officer has to witness the throw and nab the thrower on the spot, but it's something they can and will enforce. Apparently, distance from players is not an issue: any octopus on the ice is grounds for ejection and a fine. I asked if it applied to hats thrown down for a hat trick and Officer Bullock pointed out it'd be much harder to enforce on hundreds/thousands of hats versus a few octopi."

http://onthewingsblo...todrama-update/

Hmmm if I were an officer I would say, yes, I see the octopus on the ice but I didn't see who threw it.

#45 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:01 PM

We need a leader on LGW who can really make sure letters get sent to the NHL office and Mr. and Mrs. Ilitch and whoever.

#46 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:06 PM

NBC supports!!!!! :thumbup:

#47 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:56 PM

We need a leader on LGW who can really make sure letters get sent to the NHL office and Mr. and Mrs. Ilitch and whoever.

I really would take this on as I love writing letters, etc, yet the whole 'being in Britain' thing kind of precludes me from direct participation. I am fully willing for people to sign my name via proxy.
  • ami likes this

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#48 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,322 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:02 PM

Posted Image

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#49 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:25 PM

Bettman tired to stop this before. I have 1997 playoff games on VHS/DVD, and whenever a octopus hit the ice, Bud Lynch had to tell the fans if something is thrown on the ice, it's an automatic penalty to the home team.

If it didn't work then, it won't work now.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#50 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:38 PM

You can definetly count me in, I'll do all that I can. I hate the NHL and what it does to the Detroit Red Wings. I've been believing that the NHL has been against the Wings for a long time. My best example is Game 1 or 2 of the 09 Stanley Cup Finals which I taped most of and afther Bettman's interveiw with Mickey and Ken Bettman is sitting in his seast at the Joe and at that point it's either 2 or 3-0 Wings and Bettman just looks like he is seething. I mean you could fry Sunday morning breakfast on top of his head he looks so pissed. So I'll do what I can and help the Wings gain respect from the NHL.

#51 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

I think a facebook page is a great way to keep everything together even if we decide to do multiple things. If we wanted to write letters, we could put addresses up on the facebook page and links to some petition websites, and all kinds of similar things etc.

#52 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

I think a facebook page is a great way to keep everything together even if we decide to do multiple things. If we wanted to write letters, we could put addresses up on the facebook page and links to some petition websites, and all kinds of similar things etc.

facebook page

#53 redwingcapt

redwingcapt

redwingcapt

• PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:35 PM

I'm all for helping... I don't have the time to be calling into the NHL offices but I think I could definitely call into NHL Live and stuff and get the word out there more... I think fans of all teams would find this to be a disgrace. This is a 59 year old tradition and some guy that has been in the league all of what 5 years is deciding that he can try to ruin that tradition for what cause.

I was also thinking some one mentioned about everybody in the entire arena throwing octopus on the ice at once, yes thats a little over board but the same concept could be used. I think if you got a handful of people try to get the upwards of 30-40 people all to throw Octopus at the same time at the same game. That would be quite a site and as dumb as it sounds might make a little bit of a statement saying that we are going to go against whatever he tries to pull. I think even attaching a note to one of the legs basically telling Bettman to F Off would be a nice touch. I obviously think this needs to be done at the end of the game or a late goal or some time where 30-40 octopi wont be too long of a delay to the game. I love the tradition as long as it's done in the confines of the rules. Really no matter when it happened I don't think it could cause any more of a delay the the Rats during the Panthers games in what 94,95 or 96?

This is getting a little absurd, the reasoning behind his complaints are starting to get old and quite frankly are garbage.

crash

I LOVE this idea, really anyone GOING TO GAME ONE ROUND 2 with like a spare 10-12 bucks, head down to Superior Fish Market in Royal Oak MI and go buy an octopus. These guys are the people you go to to get the octopus. Good people and theyre the "official" supplier of Detroit Red Wings octopi. Thats when we should do it right after the national anthem. thatll fire up the WINGS and get the crowd going big time. im an every game day thrower of the octopi so its really bugging me. im gonna be going to pick up another batch of octopi over the next week, so if anyone knows theyre going to game one round 2 and theyre interested in throwing with me, PM me or email me and we can work something out if you want me to pick you up an octopus.

THANKS GO WINGS
To whom much is given, much is expected

#54 RedFlag85

RedFlag85

Rookie

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:30 PM

Last Friday I was listening to the local Metro Detroit Sports station, 97.1 The Ticket. The subject that dominated the airwaves was the issue of throwing Octopi on the ice. I had an idea. I was going to call 97.1 during Valenti and Foster (Highest rated show) and challenge the radio station to set up a fund. A fund to mail Gary Bettman as much Octopi as we as a fan base could afford. Mail him 20 tons of Calamari attached with a simple note saying, "Go Wings!"

Unfortunately, I was en route to work and didn't have the time to call. I got the idea from a few years back when those fans of that CBS show "Jericho" mailed tons of peanuts to CBS to force them to make a second season. It worked.

Maybe even LGW could organize an Octopi Blockade of NHL HQ.

#55 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:16 AM

I really think that even getting 10-15 octopi on the ice at once would be the best... Especially on a versus or NBC game... I would choose NBC cause they have better pre game coverage in my opinion. I think a national audience seeing 15 octopi hit the ice would make a statement... If you plan it right and everyone is throwing at the same time during the anthem. It will be harder to track down the throwers with everyone standing and with 15 flying it would be hard to pin point any way... I also think it would be best cause you will be less likely to hit any players since they will be at a stand still and it will really get the boys going. If I saw my fan base make that kind of stand, I'd want to make a stand for them...

#56 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:24 AM

If they have to see the thrower, perhaps the best way to do it would be to have a dozen or so people milling around the thrower as it is done. Then they couldn't prove who threw it.

#57 Lord Stanely

Lord Stanely

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts
  • Location:North Central Iowa, via Chicago, via Adrian, MI; via Warren

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:13 PM

1) I think the greatest victory of all in this would be during the presentation of the Stanley Cup- Bettman is handing it over to Lidstrom and a Pi lands right in the cup or on Bettman.

2) Small octopi- baby ones shot from a tennis ball sling shot from the upper deck areas. Hold it down near your feet and let them fly. Who could see where they came from?

3) remote control activated Pi launcers? Fill the confetti bags full of seplipods and boom away it rains.

4) Can somebody please make a History will be made video showing a man throwing a pi and being arrested with Bettman smirking? Maybe play it backwards and erase history?
Stuck in God-forsaken North Central Iowa with no hockey, hills, food or trees!

#58 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:24 PM

1) I think the greatest victory of all in this would be during the presentation of the Stanley Cup- Bettman is handing it over to Lidstrom and a Pi lands right in the cup or on Bettman.

Have a bunch rain down on the bastard. One smacks him right in the face. He tries to dodge the rest but then he slips on one and lands face first on top of another. if that's not the ultimate motivation to win the cup I don't know what is.

#59 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:45 PM

good on you MajSheppard. i support this thread 100%. someone should email dave hodge at TSN and tell him to do a segment on traditions in the NHL being cast aside by Gary Bettman and his lackeys. maybe i'll do that...he already read one of my emails on tv about why Vancouver won't win the cup, so i'll try my luck with sparking his interest.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#60 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:12 PM

good on you MajSheppard. i support this thread 100%. someone should email dave hodge at TSN and tell him to do a segment on traditions in the NHL being cast aside by Gary Bettman and his lackeys. maybe i'll do that...he already read one of my emails on tv about why Vancouver won't win the cup, so i'll try my luck with sparking his interest.

The problem is that I don't know any other traditions being destroyed. Besides fighting!

Keep calling the NHL.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.