Stefan Liv was on the plane as well.

#342 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,360 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:05 PM

Stefan Liv was on the plane as well.

Sadly, he is among those confirmed dead.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#343 wings3011

wings3011

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:32 PM

R.I.P. LOKO PLAYERS...TRIBUTE...http://www.youtube.c...h?v=emqug0_8AFU ....at 1.49 is the player that survived...Galimov, I hope he makes it

so many countries lost their palyers today...Czech's lost first line from last world cup, where they took gold

we lost some young talented players including Sobchenco andUruchev...they were part of the World Juniors team that won gold medal game against Canadians this year...

from what I have read here (Russia), Salei was on the plane...

btw the plane was charter V.I.P., this was not regularflight...the plane was not old like some of you said, manufactured in1994, believe it or not by aviation standard this is far from old...
also with regard to banned Russian jets, most russian jets are banned to due to higher noise levels as well as higher emission levels...does not mean they can't fly...

This video made me cringe! My father worked with Lokomotiv back home in Russia, and I've been a wings fan for years! Absolutely devastating....so many young lives lost...such a waste!

#344 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,360 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

The video showing the plane taking off also made me cringe.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#345 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

Hockeytown's Helmetless Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:32 PM

http://macombdaily.com/articles/2011/09/09/sports/srv0000013722514.txt

Apparently Joey MacDonald almost signed with Locomitv, but decided on the Wings offer instead. I'll bet he's glad he settled for a spot in GR

On Wednesday, about an hour after hearing about the crash, I was thinking about Joey because I knew he was certainly heading to the KHL before signing with the Wings at the last second. He may not necessarily have signed with Lokomotiv, but in some way, his life was saved.

My heart goes out to Brad McCrimmon's and Ruslan Salei's families, as well as all of the families of the other victims. May they find the peace and strength to survive the loss of their loved ones.

#346 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,525 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:47 PM

I just watched the funeral mass at the arena clip, and cried all the way through it. I couldn't watch it at work, as no one there would have understood why I was crying my eyes out.

This may be the saddest thing I've ever seen... so senseless and tragic. Rest in peace, all, you will be remembered.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#347 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:10 AM

Sadly, he is among those confirmed dead.

Confirmed dead? I'm pretty sure everyone (excluding Galimov and the crew member) have already been confirmed dead. Or have the news not reach USA yet?
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#348 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

Silver lining with Joey Mac. He almost signed with Lokomotiv before getting his deal with the Wings.

What a tragic story this all is.

Reading the statement from Rusty's wife on Mlive was heartbreaking.

#349 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:05 AM

Confirmed dead? I'm pretty sure everyone (excluding Galimov and the crew member) have already been confirmed dead. Or have the news not reach USA yet?

There was some speculation that he was not on the plane. I suppose because he was Belarussian and they were landing in Minsk. There was rumour that he had gone separately to visit early. Unfortunately, he was with the team.

#350 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,525 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:30 AM

Ryan Kennedy, Hockey News

This is a great, sensitive piece on the rebuilding of Locomotiv. Well done! I will be a fan, in my heart.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#351 Rick

Rick

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:44 AM

Datsyuk's Perspective

apparetly the wings had an aviation scare before.

http://sports.yahoo....urn=nhl-wp12220

#352 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:10 AM

Datsyuk's Perspective

I wish they would just leave Dats alone. Everyday theres another interview with him. He is torn up; leave him to grieve in peace rather hash up his thoughts every 6 hours with the same questions.

#353 TheWestWing

TheWestWing

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

Team prez says they will not play again this year. That would be tough for a fan as I'd think you'd want to try to carry on some semblance of normality, but IMHO its the right thing to do.

#354 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

It is rather brave of him that he goes out and does what he has to do even though you know his heart isn't really in it. I hope when I see him next week in Traverse City that I can let him know how much we share his grief and his loss. That is, if I don't fall apart myself.
Posted Image

#355 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,360 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:18 PM

Eerily similar to the grim atmosphere at training camp 10 years ago, which started on 9/11.

#356 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,077 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:32 PM

Datsyuk's Perspective

I remember that.

I think it was late 2000.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#357 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:27 PM

Team prez says they will not play again this year. That would be tough for a fan as I'd think you'd want to try to carry on some semblance of normality, but IMHO its the right thing to do.

I was hoping this would be the decision they would make. It's only right. And the true fans of the team will understand.
Posted Image

#358 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

I am just at a loss for words...this is someone saying goodbye to Stefan Liv earlier today...(sorry, it won't embed)

Goodbye Stefan

And there was a good write-up on Liv the other day: here

Heres an excerpt:

Born Patryk Sliz in Gdynia, Poland, on Dec. 21, 1980, the future pro netminder was left at an orphanage in Gdansk by his teenaged birth mother, who realized she would be unable to properly care for the baby. At the age of 2, he was adopted by Swedish couple, Jens and Anita Liv, who traveled to Poland from their home in Norrahammar, Sweden (near Jonkoping) to receive the child. He took on the name Stefan David Patryk Liv.

I only wonder how things could have been if he had decided to tough it out in Grand Rapids....

#359 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,304 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:54 PM

YAROSLAVL, Russia—
They came by the tens of thousands to mourn, from world leaders to ice hockey stars to ordinary Russians, with flowers and tears and aching hearts.

An estimated 100,000 people flocked to a memorial ceremony Saturday in the western city of Yaroslavl for the victims of the Russian plane crash that devastated a top ice hockey team.

"For the first time in my life, I had trouble entering an ice arena," Vyacheslav Fetisov, a former NHL star who is chairman of the Kontinental Hockey League, said at the ceremony. "It's an inexplicable tragedy."

http://www.latimes.c...0,7608072.story

#360 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:31 PM

IDK if it was just me, but at Hockeyfest today Kindl still looked pretty upset. He looked very rough and weary, wasn't very talkative, and had to have smiles coaxed out of him. I felt so bad for him. :((((
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.