#401 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,624 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

Come back soon, Helm.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#402 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

The fans also expect a cup or its a failed season. This is all part of winning 4 cups the last 15 years.

Just based on what I have seen so far, I will consider a conference finals exit to be an overachieving season. 2nd round is more realistic.

We as fans do perhaps expect too much, especially given the success of the last two decades. However, the most frustrating thing is not the teams failure, its the unmet potential, squandered chances, and apparent lack of effort. So many players on this team can play so much better if they just applied themselves. The pieces in the top-six between now and 2008 haven't changed much, and yet the play has dipped dramatically. Franzen, who was signed as an offensive threat to what basically amounts to a franchise contract, has gone completely belly-up since signing in 2009, and his attitude seems to be the main problem. Cleary is night and day between this season and last, due in main part to his injury. Bertuzzi shows flashes of brilliance when playing with two linemates that skate. When playing with Datsyuk and Nyquist, it seemed to rub off on Bert and he asserted himself. Enter Franzen to float on the opposite wing and Bertuzzi returns to being a non-factor. I just don't understand how relatively similar lineups can play so much worse. Leadership looks to be an issue, after losing veterans like Drake, Osgood, Draper, Maltby, and Rafalski. Beyond that, there appears to be zero accountability.

TOP 6 from 2008
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom/Cleary
Franzen-Filppula/Hudler-Samuelsson

TOP 6 in 2012
Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Franzen(-)
Filppula(+)-Zetterberg-Hudler

#403 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

Glad I missed the game tonight.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#404 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

Come back soon, Helm.

Even when he does come back he'll need a significant amount of games to get back to NHL speed.

We've seen this year and last year how when someone comes in cold from an injury that it's as if the team slows down when injured players come back.

#405 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,624 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:54 PM

What the WIngs need to hear -

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 30 March 2012 - 11:54 PM.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#406 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:02 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=W45jXVKj_CM

God, what I would give to hear this team jolted like that. I'm not saying I prefer Tortorella as a coach over Babcock, but things have gotten way too comfortable for the players on this team. There seems to be zero accountability, and the trademark Babcock scowl and silent treatment doesn't have the effect it used to.

#407 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=W45jXVKj_CM

Can you send this link to all the players' email addy? Or hack into team bus and pipe it into the AV system?

#408 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

I forgot about that. Same goes for Ericsson. He is so bored by the regular season, he sees no point in clearing the crease and dropping the gloves. Well, with Ericsson's stay at home prowess and Franzen's golden hands coming alive in the playoffs, we should make it out of the first round.

Dude - Franzen, and Ericsson are too busy writing their podium speeches for the Cup parade to be bothered with this silly regular season bit :ph34r:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#409 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

Dude - Franzen, and Ericsson are too busy writing their podium speeches for the Cup parade to be bothered with this silly regular season bit :ph34r:

They probably wrote those right at the beginning of the season. How long does it take to write a podium speech? :hehe:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#410 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:03 AM

The wings don't need a motivational speaker. Certain players are playing well and doing the right things. Just for the love of god Mike Babcock change the lines!! The top 6 need to be moved around. Don't just swap third line players for fourth line players. I may sound crazy but break up the Flip-Z-Huds line. Flippula and Zetterberg's good play will be contagious on any line I believe. I like Abdelkader on the top 6 he'll at least mix things up...

And am I the only one that isn't disappointed Stuart won't be here next season? He is absolutely terrible with the puck in any kind of situation. I haven't liked him on this team for the last two years. It's always him who can't clear the puck when the wings are killing a penalty and win the face off and he has a good 3 seconds to wind up and shoot it down the ice and the other team keeps it in the zone. I've noticed Quincey is good at getting the puck out actually.

#411 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:13 AM

We as fans do perhaps expect too much, especially given the success of the last two decades. However, the most frustrating thing is not the teams failure, its the unmet potential, squandered chances, and apparent lack of effort. So many players on this team can play so much better if they just applied themselves. The pieces in the top-six between now and 2008 haven't changed much, and yet the play has dipped dramatically. Franzen, who was signed as an offensive threat to what basically amounts to a franchise contract, has gone completely belly-up since signing in 2009, and his attitude seems to be the main problem. Cleary is night and day between this season and last, due in main part to his injury. Bertuzzi shows flashes of brilliance when playing with two linemates that skate. When playing with Datsyuk and Nyquist, it seemed to rub off on Bert and he asserted himself. Enter Franzen to float on the opposite wing and Bertuzzi returns to being a non-factor. I just don't understand how relatively similar lineups can play so much worse. Leadership looks to be an issue, after losing veterans like Drake, Osgood, Draper, Maltby, and Rafalski. Beyond that, there appears to be zero accountability.

TOP 6 from 2008
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom/Cleary
Franzen-Filppula/Hudler-Samuelsson

TOP 6 in 2012
Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Franzen(-)
Filppula(+)-Zetterberg-Hudler

You do realize 4 years is an eternity in professional sports? Both the wings fans and management have a strong propensity to live in yesterdays accomplishments. Yes there are always core players that are key - Lids, Dats, Z thru multiple years, but the rest of the cast should change as needed. The teams that compete for the cup have, besides luck and lack of injuries, is a good mix of core veterans, solid mid-career contributors and hungry youth. The formula has always been the same - and was for each extended run the wings have made. It's called team chemistry.
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#412 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:14 AM

I forgot about that. Same goes for Ericsson. He is so bored by the regular season, he sees no point in clearing the crease and dropping the gloves. Well, with Ericsson's stay at home prowess and Franzen's golden hands coming alive in the playoffs, we should make it out of the first round.

At least Franzen can produce.

Is it just me, or is Franzen normally the reason we lose hockey games nowadays?

Good news about seeing that game in person: I got a free green hat (Sponsored and everything, WHOA!), some stickers of Filppula, and got to wave at Larry Murphy in a backpack.

Other than that, pretty lame.

Edited by Doc Holliday, 31 March 2012 - 01:16 AM.

Posted Image

#413 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:16 AM

The wings don't need a motivational speaker. Certain players are playing well and doing the right things. Just for the love of god Mike Babcock change the lines!! The top 6 need to be moved around. Don't just swap third line players for fourth line players. I may sound crazy but break up the Flip-Z-Huds line. Flippula and Zetterberg's good play will be contagious on any line I believe. I like Abdelkader on the top 6 he'll at least mix things up...

And am I the only one that isn't disappointed Stuart won't be here next season? He is absolutely terrible with the puck in any kind of situation. I haven't liked him on this team for the last two years. It's always him who can't clear the puck when the wings are killing a penalty and win the face off and he has a good 3 seconds to wind up and shoot it down the ice and the other team keeps it in the zone. I've noticed Quincey is good at getting the puck out actually.

Stewie had always been 1 of our more consistent defensive minded Dmen these past few seasons - however I tend to agree with you that he's been more prone to mistakes this season when compared to previous seasons, and when Lids went down - both he, and Kronner looked outta place at times being the top 2 guys.

#414 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:19 AM

Can you send this link to all the players' email addy? Or hack into team bus and pipe it into the AV system?

Gotta love Torts. That's priceless. Babs, on the other hand, is more like my wife's silent treatment. I won't talk to you because you should know better...
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#415 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:21 AM

Good news about seeing that game in person: I got a free green hat (Sponsored and everything, WHOA!), some stickers of Filppula, and got to wave at Larry Murphy in a backpack.

Hopefully he'll show up for the playoffs.

Yeah, I kind of jumped on the blame Franzen train for the night. 1 shot on net in over 16 minutes of ice time.

Should've waved with a hot dog in your hand, maybe you would've got his autograph :lol:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#416 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:22 AM

I'm no physics expert, but somehow I just can't see anyone squeezing Larry Murphy into a backpack :g:

#417 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:25 AM

Funny how people think they know how the Wings will play in the playoffs this year. Detroit fans should know more than anyone that the playoffs is completely different than the regular season. We won't know how the Wings will do in the playoffs until they actually start.

4th seed, 5th seed, 6th seed, I really don't care.

There are certain important indicators, though. Where is the PP and PK ranked? How well can you play on the road vs. at home? Goal differential, etc. Yes the playoffs are different, because the NHL treats the game differently from an officiating point of view, but beyond that you are left hoping the underachievers are sand-bagging for the playoffs. Never a good feeling IMO

#418 jroc86

jroc86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:44 AM

This way this team performing right now the Wings are looking like the Avs in 2008 ... a once great team with an aging core that just doesn't have the depth and spark to make much noise in the post-season. Yeah, with some bounces and a great effort getting out of the first round wouldn't be mind blowing - but odds are a younger, hungrier, deeper team will be waiting for us and have home ice advantage.

I certainly dont expect a cup every year - if we can beat the Preds in the first round Ill be very pumped and will b e able to take some consellation in that. If the Wings fall to the Preds it will meanmore than a short season after having such high hopes through the first 60+ games of the year - it will ensure Weber or Suter will NOT sign here for greener pastures and a better chance to win. If the Wings can win they remain "big brother" and this will really help in trying to land either of them if they hit free agency.

#419 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:51 AM

"Fans" like this are who I am addressing.

I suppose you could always go root for the Canucks. They need a fan like you.

I get it. Criticism is considered traitorous.... You do realize that healthy dissent has always formed a huge role in the progression of any society/organization/government. There is a reason why certain groups suppress it. Are you a nazi?

#420 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:38 AM

If the Wings fall to the Preds it will meanmore than a short season after having such high hopes through the first 60+ games of the year - it will ensure Weber or Suter will NOT sign here for greener pastures and a better chance to win. If the Wings can win they remain "big brother" and this will really help in trying to land either of them if they hit free agency.

I dunno, I can imagine Holland selling the "You're the missing piece" line pretty well.

Don't Toews me, bro!