• Please log in to reply
758 replies to this topic

#661 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,498 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

Wow, that was fun. I will admit I was totally expecting to lose 2-1 just because the Red Wings have pulled that tease so many times this season. In saying that, these guys deserve a ton of credit for not quitting tonight. They could have packed it in and gone away easily down 2-0, but they battled and got a huge two points against a very good team in a tough environment.

Is it fair to say the Red Wings as a whole are a lot like Franzen this season? Excellent at their best, decent other times though nothing special and listless borderline awful at their worst. It's frustrating to watch, but if the Red Wings team and Franzen that showed up late in the third and OT tonight does the same in a week, my confidence level increases immensely. Mule, Datsyuk and Jimmy were unreal. Ericsson continues to be very dependable and playing smart. IMO he's been the second best d-man on the team since his return. I like E with Nick and let Quincey/White be the third pairing. Kronwall/Stuart have struggled a bit, but I suspect they will be strong in the playoffs as usual.

Ian White has also regressed a lot the past few months. White never hits the net, even if his shot doesn't get blocked. He's a steal still for the contract, just hasn't been very reliable at either end lately. Kindl should probably not play another game this season. Smith would be way better on the point of the PP and I would prefer Smith to be the 7th d-man in the playoffs if one of the regulars is out.

Jimmy has to start again tomorrow. With a win and a Nashville loss in regulation, home ice advantage is clinched.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#662 dats13owns

dats13owns

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

For the first time in a long time, the Wings actually handled adversity. I hope this gives them a collective push in the right direction.

That said, nice and huge win.

#663 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

I felt physical pain every time I saw Kindl on this ice this game.

#664 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

Both teams were s***E. Howard and a last-minute surge gave us the edge.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#665 crispychris

crispychris

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

It was great to see #93 wake up and play!!! Looks like Datsyuk is back to game speed, he looked great tonight. Overall I thought the team played well. Good win. If we can get the power play going were going to be just fine. Great game by Jim Howard in net. This team is so weird, some nights we look SO good, other nights.......... not so much.

#666 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

game over

2-0 coming up, roll over and sleep wings

sorry Howard the players in front of you are laughable

Penalty to Homer.

We're done.

Ok this game is over

of course, game over

Ah, how quick some of us bail on our team.

In all seriousness, the Wings did show some heart this game. Both teams had a lot of chances, and the Blues definitely took advantage of some opportunities. At the same time, so did the Wings late in the game. This had playoff intensity all over it, and the Wings earned the extra point. Two games to go, seal up home ice in the first round!
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#667 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

It was great to see #93 wake up and play!!! Looks like Datsyuk is back to game speed, he looked great tonight. Overall I thought the team played well. Good win. If we can get the power play going were going to be just fine. Great game by Jim Howard in net. This team is so weird, some nights we look SO good, other nights.......... not so much.

Datsyuk turned up the skill and had St. Louis on their heels for the latter half of the third period, but I don't think he is back to his game speed yet. I could tell he was struggling to make moves and handle battles most of the game. Since he has been back, including tonight, he has gone down way easier than he ever has in the past. Seems to me his still favoring his knees, at least as far as being very cautious. Two great moves and passes from Pavel on the goals, and several great plays throughout the night, but he's not quite 100% yet. We're seeing Pavel on about 8, not 11.

The lesson: Datsyuk + Anybody in the whole world = good.

Game speed not withstanding, when in doubt, refer to this ^

#668 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,107 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

Ah, how quick some of us bail on our team.

Why must you always be so vague, so cryptic? Quit being a tease and tell us how you really feel, Nightfall.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#669 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

Datsyuk turned up the skill and had St. Louis on their heels for the latter half of the third period, but I don't think he is back to his game speed yet. I could tell he was struggling to make moves and handle battles most of the game. Since he has been back, including tonight, he has gone down way easier than he ever has in the past. Seems to me his still favoring his knees, at least as far as being very cautious. Two great moves and passes from Pavel on the goals, and several great plays throughout the night, but he's not quite 100% yet. We're seeing Pavel on about 8, not 11.

Pavel at 11 will arrive in time for playoffs.

The Wings will win the first two rounds of the playoffs. You heard it here first!
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#670 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

i said it after last game with blues, and i hane to say it again: certain team, wearing blue in home games, confuses toughness with stupidity.

good game wings, good to see mule back!

#671 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

34 pages? Daaaaaaaamn. Is that the most a GDT has spawned this year?

#672 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:26 PM

i said it after last game with blues, and i hane to say it again: certain team, wearing blue in home games, confuses toughness with stupidity.

good game wings, good to see mule back!

I agree. I'm really not too worried about playing the Blues in the playoffs. Their lack of discipline and their immaturity will kill them no matter who they play this playoffs.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#673 j.hoop

j.hoop

i hate the flyers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

todd bertuzzi isf****** clutch
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” - Sophocles
Posted Image

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

#674 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

Why must you always be so vague, so cryptic? Quit being a tease and tell us how you really feel, Nightfall.

Sure, I will elaborate since you asked.

If I bailed on the Wings everytime they went down 2-0, I would have missed so many great games. Like the brawl back in 1997, or the Wings beating Colorado in Game 2 of the Conference finals back in 1997.

I could understand if they were down by 4 or 5 goals, but 2? Some people here threw in the towel way too quickly and easily.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#675 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

Seriously, send Kindl down, bring Smith back up.

Posted Image

#676 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

:thumbup:

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#677 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

Pavel at 11 will arrive in time for playoffs.

The Wings will win the first two rounds of the playoffs. You heard it here first!

Maybe. If the coach allocates ice time appropriately and plays the players that deserve to be playing.
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#678 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

Posted Image He did didn't he? Kindl cannot be back in the lineup, it just can't happen.

Ericsson has take a lot of s*** on this board, but when you think about it he is the only d-man with size that can match up with the power forward reality of the NHL these days. He has progressed nicely with puck decisions and physicality this year. Yes, he has been a project, but I think Holland might have been correct on this one and I notice a big diff since he has been back w/ Lids.
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#679 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

^ he just needs to punch harder.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#680 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

What a game. Lots of good things to take away from this. Anyone surprised the inexperienced started to lose their composure when the going got tough? And Kronwall stepped up on Reaves.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid