• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

2014 Team USA Roster Predictions

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

I wouldn't mind seeing Cam Fowler in the mix somewhere...he seems like he's been doing pretty good at Worlds (I haven't been watching every single game, but just a first impression). I didn't know Callahan and Brown were American - sweeeet!! Goalie's going to be a tough decision - I think Miller's going to make a comeback, Howard will continue to be solid, and I think Quick's pretty much got it going on and will for the next few years. I'd put Quick first in line, but I wouldn't count the other two out at all. We're looking pretty good, and I'm glad we've got a lot of guys to choose from. Canada will be hard to beat, but it looks possible.

Fowler will really have to break out. Lot of guys ahead of him right now.

Canada

Tavares - Crosby - Stamkos

Seguin - Toews - Giroux

Hall - RNH - Eberle

Skinner - Bergeron - Sharp

Letang - Doughty

Weber - Keith

Petriangelo - Del Zotto

USA

Kane - Stastny - Kessel

Parise - Kesler - Ryan

Pacioretty - Pavelski - Stephan

Brown - Backes - Callahan

Suter - Carlson

McDonagh - Yandle

E.Johnson - J.Johnson

Edited by matemate

Guest blueadams

USA

Kane - Stastny - Kessel

Parise - Kesler - Ryan

Pacioretty - Pavelski - Stephan

Brown - Backes - Callahan

Suter - Carlson

McDonagh - Yandle

E.Johnson - J.Johnson

1) Wow. Lot of love for Carlson. Care to explain?

2) Are you referring to Derek Stepan on the wing of the third line?

1) Wow. Lot of love for Carlson. Care to explain?

2) Are you referring to Derek Stepan on the wing of the third line?

1) Not a Caps fan, but this kid is awesome.

He played like a legit top pairing defenseman as a rookie, and logged a ****-ton of minutes on one of the best teams in NHL. He's the definition of an all-around defenseman - he can play PP, PK, he can shoot it, join the rush, and start the rush. Very heady player, too. Also played very well against the Rangers in the playoffs from what I saw. He is also gritty.

For a comparison...hard to think of one. Think of any big, RH, two-way defenseman. Maybe Brent Burns, but better defensively, and a bit worse offensively.

2) Yes, Stepan from Rangers.

Edited by matemate

Guest blueadams

1) Not a Caps fan, but this kid is awesome.

He played like a legit top pairing defenseman as a rookie, and logged a ****-ton of minutes on one of the best teams in NHL. He's the definition of an all-around defenseman - he can play PP, PK, he can shoot it, join the rush, and start the rush. Very heady player, too. Also played very well against the Rangers in the playoffs from what I saw. He is also gritty.

For a comparison...hard to think of one. Think of any big, RH, two-way defenseman. Maybe Brent Burns, but better defensively, and a bit worse offensively.

2) Yes, Stepan from Rangers.

Interesting. I'll keep an eye on Carlson. Lots and lots of competition to make this team for a defenseman.

And Stepan, just don't really see him having a legitimate shot unless we only go with one checking line.

Guest blueadams

Chris Kreider sure is making a big early impression isn't he? Kid looks awesome.

Just like a couple years ago, up front, I like who USA has on the wings. The top six, however, could really use a more than legitimate playmaking center you know? Especially on a bigger ice surface where skill comes out a little more. I suppose they can try Kane at center but meh... yuck. They got Pavelski I suppose but meh...

Canada has ridiculous wealth down the middle WITHOUT Crosby

Sweden has Sedin, Backstrom and Zetterberg

Russia has Malkin and Datsyuk

Finland has Koivu

Even Slovenia has Kopitar

USA needs their own version of Crosby of something.

Although it'd be quite a story if the USA made it to the gold medal game again without such notoriety at the center position.

Guest blueadams

Just like a couple years ago, up front, I like who USA has on the wings. The top six, however, could really use a more than legitimate playmaking center you know? Especially on a bigger ice surface where skill comes out a little more. I suppose they can try Kane at center but meh... yuck. They got Pavelski I suppose but meh...

Canada has ridiculous wealth down the middle WITHOUT Crosby

Sweden has Sedin, Backstrom and Zetterberg

Russia has Malkin and Datsyuk

Finland has Koivu

Even Slovenia has Kopitar

USA needs their own version of Crosby of something.

Although it'd be quite a story if the USA made it to the gold medal game again without such notoriety at the center position.

Well, even though he's kind of struggled as of late, Stastny fits the bill of a play-making center. Kane could as well, if desperate, sure. Parise's played some center before. Bobby Ryan's played some center before. Pavelski's certainly got offensive skill. T.J. Oshie as well.

Kesler and Backes are more defensive oriented guys, but with some skill as well.

No real superstars down the middle, but I'd hold off on calling it a weakness.

Here's why I think Yandle's in an up hill battle...

Take a look at Brian Burke's 2010 blue-liners: (* = missed games due to injury)

Eric Johnson (6-4, 232)

Jack Johnson (6-1, 231)

Brooks Orpik (6-2, 219)

Tim Gleason (6-0, 217)

Ryan Whitney (6-3, 210)

Ryan Suter (6-1, 198)

Brian Rafalski (5-10, 194)

...Seven defensemen, and the second smallest guy is Ryan Suter, who is a very, very tough 6-1, 198lbs. If the makeup of the team in 2014 is anything like the makeup of the team in 2010, there's only going to be room for one finesse defenseman. Maybe two - as it will be on olympic sized ice? But I personally think we'll be storming into Sochi with an even bigger, meaner and tougher team after we saw it come so close to working in 2010.

Dustin Byfuglien (6-5, 265)

Eric Johnson (6-4, 232)

Jack Johnson (6-1, 231)

Ryan McDonagh (6-1, 216)

Zach Bogosian (6-3, 215)

Kevin Shattenkirk (5-11, 208)

Ryan Suter (6-1, 198)

Keith Yandle (6-1, 190)

...Even Shattenkirk, the smallest guy in competition with Yandle for one of those last spots, has 18 lbs on Yandle. That's a lot of weight. Maybe Yandle makes it. I'm not saying he isn't one of our top 7 defensemen. I'm just saying, he's fighting an up-hill battle in terms of the kind of player that we're looking for.

Vancouver games were played on NHL-size ice, so premium was on big,tough D-men. Next Olympics are going to be played on big ice, where skating ability, and PP prowess will be more important than size.

Here's why I think Yandle's in an up hill battle...

Take a look at Brian Burke's 2010 blue-liners: (* = missed games due to injury)

Eric Johnson (6-4, 232)

Jack Johnson (6-1, 231)

Brooks Orpik (6-2, 219)

Tim Gleason (6-0, 217)

Ryan Whitney (6-3, 210)

Ryan Suter (6-1, 198)

Brian Rafalski (5-10, 194)

...Seven defensemen, and the second smallest guy is Ryan Suter, who is a very, very tough 6-1, 198lbs. If the makeup of the team in 2014 is anything like the makeup of the team in 2010, there's only going to be room for one finesse defenseman. Maybe two - as it will be on olympic sized ice? But I personally think we'll be storming into Sochi with an even bigger, meaner and tougher team after we saw it come so close to working in 2010.

Dustin Byfuglien (6-5, 265)

Eric Johnson (6-4, 232)

Jack Johnson (6-1, 231)

Ryan McDonagh (6-1, 216)

Zach Bogosian (6-3, 215)

Kevin Shattenkirk (5-11, 208)

Ryan Suter (6-1, 198)

Keith Yandle (6-1, 190)

...Even Shattenkirk, the smallest guy in competition with Yandle for one of those last spots, has 18 lbs on Yandle. That's a lot of weight. Maybe Yandle makes it. I'm not saying he isn't one of our top 7 defensemen. I'm just saying, he's fighting an up-hill battle in terms of the kind of player that we're looking for.

Actually you are 100% wrong.

They build the team you listed in a way that fit playing on a North American sized rink. 2014 will have us playing on a international sized surface. Not only will Yandle make the team, he will be in the top 4

Guest blueadams

Actually you are 100% wrong.

They build the team you listed in a way that fit playing on a North American sized rink. 2014 will have us playing on a international sized surface. Not only will Yandle make the team, he will be in the top 4

it's been a while since i thought about the lineup...but i do believe i agreed and put yandle in there a while ago.

i think last check i was at...1) suter, 2) yandle, 3) jj 4) byfuglien, 5) ej, 6) shattenkirk...7) mcdonagh?

No chance for Buff. Carlson or Fowler will lock that spot up.

And I be completely honest I don't think either Canada or the US should be favorites in 2014. They simply cannot adjust to the larger ice surface.

Here's a fun trivia question. Tell me the last time either North American country won a gold medal in men's ice hockey played on a INTERNATIONAL sized surface?

Guest blueadams

No chance for Buff. Carlson or Fowler will lock that spot up.

And I be completely honest I don't think either Canada or the US should be favorites in 2014. They simply cannot adjust to the larger ice surface.

Here's a fun trivia question. Tell me the last time either North American country won a gold medal in men's ice hockey played on a INTERNATIONAL sized surface?

Do you think the ice size is really going to have THAT big of an impact on our squad selection??

Guest Hatethedrake!

I think it's between Russia, Canada, US and Sweden. I say it comes down to Canada-Russia with Canada winning it. But really. Any of these 4 teams can win it.

Guest blueadams

I think it's between Russia, Canada, US and Sweden. I say it comes down to Canada-Russia with Canada winning it. But really. Any of these 4 teams can win it.

in regards to our personnel i meant. no chance for byfuglien? what about e johnson, or z bogosian?

Guest Hatethedrake!

in regards to our personnel i meant. no chance for byfuglien? what about e johnson, or z bogosian?

Of the 3, Johnson for sure. But I'm Canadian so I don't really think of the U.S. line-up. I know they will have a very good team though. But man, a Malkin-Datsyuk-Ovechkin line would be pretty lethal when playing Russia. Then you throw Kovalchuk in there.

As for Bogosian, I am not a fan of his game, HIgh draft pick, high expectations but when I watch him play, I only see an average player on the ice. I know he's still young. Byfuglien has weight issues and on the big ice, his lack of defensive positioning may hurt his chances.

Do you think the ice size is really going to have THAT big of an impact on our squad selection??

Yes I do. I mean I think it is a common sense type thing more then anything else. Here are a couple excerpts and quotes as well as a defensive selection from someone at hockey prospects:

"The 2010 Olympics in Vancouver were won on the NHL-sized sheet that North American players are accustomed to, but the tournament in Russia will be played to IIHF specifications, which is four metres wider. That extra space produces a different-looking game and tends to put a premium on speed and mobility."
“It’s an eye-opener for the players,” said Yzerman. “It’s just a different game and some players adapt better to it than others. … The big thing is skating, you’ve got to be able to get around the ice. For defencemen, they’ve got to be able to move out there.”
R. Suter – R. McDonagh

K. Yandle – K. Shattenkirk

J. Johnson – J. Carlson

DEFENSE: While the common theme up front was size, the common theme on D is speed. All 6 are good skaters and all are excellent at moving the puck. Others in consideration that didn’t make the cut were Erik Johnson (inconsistent), Brooks Orpik (age, speed), Cam Fowler (weak defensively)  and its too early to tell for rookies like Gardiner and Faulk."

"Whether it’s at forward or on defence, intelligence is the most important thing. You’re playing with different players … we put so much importance in that tournament and there’s so little time to prepare. Chris Pronger was a good player for us in the Olympics and he didn’t skate like he did when he was a kid, but he’s so smart and he passes the puck so well. He knows where to go and, as the tournament went on, he got better and better. That said, on a big ice surface, it’s more important that defencemen are mobile more then anything else.”

The larger ice surface is a huge element - for either of the North American GM's to not take it into consideration when constructing the team would be insane. NHL surface play is a game of bumper cars while international surface play is more a uptempo, speed based game.

I would also like to say again that the defensive 6 in the quote above was not mine, it was a pundits. I am not saying that's 100% what it should be - even though it looks pretty solid.

Guest blueadams

The larger ice surface is a huge element - for either of the North American GM's to not take it into consideration when constructing the team would be insane. NHL surface play is a game of bumper cars while international surface play is more a uptempo, speed based game.

I would also like to say again that the defensive 6 in the quote above was not mine, it was a pundits. I am not saying that's 100% what it should be - even though it looks pretty solid.

I think you're right to some extent. I switched some of the pairings in my original post. I think that Suter, Johnson, yandle and Shattenkirk are all pretty safe bets. I actually think that Byfuglien is a somewhat safe bet as the 7th defenseman due to his versatility (your 7th defenseman can actually skate in international hockey). Then you've got some questions..

I went with McDonagh and Faulk.

It sounds like a lot of people think it will be Carlson. Could be. Fowler seems like a longer shot. Some people seem to think that Goligoski is in good standing, but I'm not sure I buy it yet. Paul Martin I'd keep an eye on still.

Erik Johnson might still have a shot, but his game doesn't really fit. Same deal with Orpik, Whitney and others..