• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

Well I am sure both media sites are trying to create something out of nothing here. Yakupov made some comments and Cherry replied to it thats all.

The game will for sure be decided by the better defensive team, Canada's lockout line was insane against Germany but the first true test will be against the USA, if they beat this team easily too then Russia is going to have a very hard time overcoming the Canadians.

Gauging by their performances against Sweden and Germany, Can and USA seem to be on very similar paths. USA vs Swe (3-2 OT), Can vs Swe (2-1 SO), Can vs Ger (9-3), USA vs Ger (8-0). We'll see how that pans out when they hit the same ice.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: Glendening.  MOTB TOTAL: $12

#22 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,425 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Canada's lockout line

Not there too!

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#23 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

In European hockey, what is considered "dirty" is different than what Canadians call "dirty" hockey. It's always been that way.

It's just a different style of hockey and different ideals for what's considered sportsmanlike.

This, plus although I am not an apologist for Yakupov, I have lived in many countries around the world and work with people from several nationalities I have to wonder about Yakupov's proficiency of the english language. On several occasions foreign nationals with a "less than normal" grasp of the english language have said a few things that have riled some feathers with their american counterparts and not meant to. Maybe it's not what he meant at all, maybe...oh f*** it nuke the commie bastard!

#24 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,269 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

Cherry is wrong, they didn't LET him in the CHL, they WANTED him in the CHL just sao he didn't go elsewhere. IF not the CHL then maybe an American College or maybe the WHL, etc... the CHL wanted to best young prospect in the world to grace their league, so Cherry is WAY off target with his statement...

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.333 PPG

#25 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,295 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

As a child during the "Cold War" 1970's - I honestly don't believe for 1 second the Soviets feared the potential for a American attack with ICBMs...Oh no...Their fears ran much - much deeper.....

I believe they instead feared an attack would include stealthy American aircraft loaded-up with Canadian hockey players - parachuting upon them while they slept...During the night like busy lil'beavers the Canadian Hockey Commandos would construct 'Tim Horton' donut shops, and North American NHL sized hockey rinks on every street corner.

Before they could acknowledge the sting from a Bobby Clarke 2-hander (and if any comrade would complain - he'd get a Dave Schultz knuckle sandwich) - they were living in an exact replica of Winnipeg with Don Cherry as their mayor.

LOL.

I'm pretty sure Canada vs Russia wouldn't make much of a war.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#26 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

This, plus although I am not an apologist for Yakupov, I have lived in many countries around the world and work with people from several nationalities I have to wonder about Yakupov's proficiency of the english language. On several occasions foreign nationals with a "less than normal" grasp of the english language have said a few things that have riled some feathers with their american counterparts and not meant to. Maybe it's not what he meant at all, maybe...oh f*** it nuke the commie bastard!

From my understanding Yakupov was interviewed by a Russian newspaper, so either something has been lost during the translation or he really meant it. In terms of hockey I think Canada vs Russia is a nice war *g*

Cherry is wrong, they didn't LET him in the CHL, they WANTED him in the CHL just sao he didn't go elsewhere. IF not the CHL then maybe an American College or maybe the WHL, etc... the CHL wanted to best young prospect in the world to grace their league, so Cherry is WAY off target with his statement...

Yeah but he still did learn the NA way of hockey in the CHL. Maybe I am in the minority here but I love such PR stunts, maybe the WJ will gain some attention I like the tournament.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#27 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,425 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

Apparently, the interview in question was done a couple of weeks ago and has only been printed now. News travels slowly in Russia. He's also not making himself available to the media for "clarification" on his comments, in particular the Canadian media.

#28 HelmFan

HelmFan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

Just to correct you: the WHL is part of the CHL.

the WHL (western hockey league), OHL (ontario hockey league), and QMJHL (quebec major junior hockey league) all make up the CHL (Canadian Hockey League). Here's the wiki leak: http://en.wikipedia....n_Hockey_League

It's the same as how the NL and AL make up the MLB

#29 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

Apparently, the interview in question was done a couple of weeks ago and has only been printed now. News travels slowly in Russia. He's also not making himself available to the media for "clarification" on his comments, in particular the Canadian media.

After Canada's performance against the Slovaks today (58 PIMs, 2(!) 5+20 miscondacts) maybe it is the Canadain media that should be the ones "clarifying" their statements on the subject of dirty play?

Edited by sibiriak, 28 December 2012 - 11:06 PM.

#30 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

After Canada's performance against the Slovaks today (58 PIMs, 2(!) 5+20 miscondacts) maybe it is the Canadain media that should be the ones "clarifying" their statements on the subject of dirty play?

Curious, did you even watch the game ? The refs admitted they tossed out Camara for a clean hit. Lipon deserved to be tossed though, and got a one game suspension.

North America plays a different style then Euro's, it's as simple as that. Russians don't like physical play, but Canada plays that style, it's the way they were taught. Yakupuckhog should be more concerned about passing the puck to his teammates instead of trying to be someone he's not (Datsyuk). Hopefully he keeps his head up against the Canadians otherwise things might get ugly.

02_notcomplicated_Kronwalled55_zpsc7d665

#31 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,425 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

As Head Coach Spott declared early on, the officiating in this tournament has lead to some questionable calls.

#32 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

Curious, did you even watch the game ? The refs admitted they tossed out Camara for a clean hit. Lipon deserved to be tossed though, and got a one game suspension.

North America plays a different style then Euro's, it's as simple as that. Russians don't like physical play, but Canada plays that style, it's the way they were taught. Yakupuckhog should be more concerned about passing the puck to his teammates instead of trying to be someone he's not (Datsyuk). Hopefully he keeps his head up against the Canadians otherwise things might get ugly.

Yes, I watched the game. And yes, Camara probably deserved 2 min.rough at most. But there were other things that were not called, especially in the 3rd.

Also, did you watch any of Russia's games? Yakupov's carreer WJC stats: 1G +11 (!) A. He "should be more concerned about passing the puck to his teammates instead of trying to be someone he's not (Datsyuk)"?

#33 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

I'd like to thank the Russians for their clean play.  Those 2 power play goals as a result of the Russian player cheapshot really helped Canada in their win today.

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#34 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

I'd like to thank the Russians for their clean play.  Those 2 power play goals as a result of the Russian player cheapshot really helped Canada in their win today.

Well, McKinnon got away with a crosscheck in the face today. Shalunov got 5+game+extra game for a similar hit against the Slovaks. Sometimes the refs see it and sometimes not. See you in the final, if you can beat the US again that is.