• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MidMichSteve

NHL rescinds match penalty to Blues' Backes

Rate this topic

Backes has hit guys like this before. His hits like this are lateral, blindside, and sometimes push the boundaries of being late.

Like this? Well this hit may have been more lateral than not, but it wasn't blindside and I would argue not late either. I'm focussing more on "Huskin's, WTF were you thinking he was going to do when he came skating across the ice like that? Do you not know when he is on the ice and what he is capable of?"

Like this? Well this hit may have been more lateral than not, but it wasn't blindside and I would argue not late either. I'm focussing more on "Huskin's, WTF were you thinking he was going to do when he came skating across the ice like that? Do you not know when he is on the ice and what he is capable of?"

To be clear, I think the hit on Huskins was a fine and he definitely should've been aware of who was on the ice.

My point is it's a kind of hit Backes looks for, and it's essentially one misstep away from being the kind of dangerous hit the league is cracking down on. If the guy he's hitting leans forward he'll end up contacting the head and the hit becomes a Matt Cooke special. So I wasn't all that surprised the refs overreacted. That was all I was saying.

I think he caught Rafalski with one a few years ago.

Found the hit. And a good explanation from Mick. It basically meets all the criteria of being an illegal hit, except for the head contact. So it's a high risk hit. When the refs saw Huskins head snap they must've assumed Backes clipped him. That was my point.

As much as I don't like Backes, I'm not blaming him or anything for the hit.