27 replies to this topic

#1 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

The National Hockey League rescinded the match penalty assessed to St. Louis Blues forwardDavid Backes in the game Friday night against the Detroit Red Wings.

Backes received a match penalty for an illegal hit to the head of Detroit's Kent Huskins at 9:38 of the third period. Replays appeared to indicate that no contact to Huskins' head was made.

Detroit's Pavel Datsyuk scored the game-winning goal on the ensuing five-minute power play in an eventual 5-3 victory.

No surprise there.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#2 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

It's the right call by the NHL.  I don't blame the refs, they thought he got the head and called it that way. 

#3 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

I will take the win, but man that was a bad call that gave us the game. 3-3 tie with 9 to go, and the refs gave us a 5 min PP on a phantom call. The down side is, sooner or later the same will happen to us.....

#4 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,825 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Absolutely the right call to make.

I'll take the two points, but I definitely feel that the bad penalty call cost the Blues their chance in that game.  Over the course of a full season, though, I have no doubt the Blues will be on the better end of questionable calls.

Glad the NHL realized their mistake, and made sure that Backes doesn't get an undeserved black mark on his record.

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#5 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

My gosh do the blues fans hate the Wings.  Was on a few other sites last night and today and boy are they bitter.  I mean, they have fans just like other teams that realize you have to play better than a bad call or 2 or 3 but the majority of them are very whiney.  Maybe they just have a bunch of new (bandwagon) fans in their base or at least in social media.  But, my gosh, they seem to consider themselves to be the new avalanche for us.  I wish we really could just pay the officials like they say we do.

Edited by Marty Barry, 02 February 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#6 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

it was a bad call but you know how consistently we're dicked on bad calls? And how often STL plays goon hockey and gets away with it?

If you believe in karma, last night was a textbook example.

#7 redwingsindiana

redwingsindiana

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Upon replay it was a bad call, but from behind and at full speed I see how maybe the ref missed it.  He should have at least conferred with other refs.  Oh well, sometimes we get the calls and sometimes we get the shaft, this time we win the game. I believe the NHL made the right final judgement, Backes is not a goon.

Life is short..........so get on with it  :champs: 

#8 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

******* moron ref.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#9 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

Right call but the league has to look at all the stupid 5:3 penalties and how the refs are killing all sorts of gameflow in way too many games, it has become extremely boring.

Loved the hit from Backes, guy is an absolute beast.

Edited by frankgrimes, 03 February 2013 - 08:50 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#10 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,525 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

That was the right thing to do.  However, I've lost count of the games the Wings have been robbed of a win over things as wrong as this call.

I am glad it won't be on Backes' record, though.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#11 cprice12

cprice12

Resident St. Louis Blues Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

It's the right call by the NHL.  I don't blame the refs, they thought he got the head and called it that way. 

How can you not blame the refs?  It was a horrible call, made by a referee.

He is most certainly to blame because he was dead wrong.

it was a bad call but you know how consistently we're dicked on bad calls? And how often STL plays goon hockey and gets away with it?

If you believe in karma, last night was a textbook example.

Enlighten me.  How often does St. Louis play "goon hockey"?  I'd like to know.

#12 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

I've already mentioned it and you ignored it. Your Blues got away with at least 3 interference calls, a couple tripping calls and probably more that I did not see. This bad call evened it out a bit

#13 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,906 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

The Blues should be LIVID! If Detroit got screwed like that, this forum would be lit up with conspiracy and cheating and Bettman... They Blues lost two valuable points with that non-penalty.  I like to win, but don't like to be handed the win ala Pitt in 2009.

You and I have had our differences in the past, but this is dead on.  If the Wings go screwed that way, we all would be calling for somone's head! I do agree with the NO goon hockey too. I wish upon wishes that we had more players like Backes on this team....too bad for your loss, but I am sure you will make it up this season while Detroit continues to play like the local squirt team in town....

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#14 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

The Wings HAVE been screwed like that.  On many occasions.  And yes, the board lights up like a Christmas tree.  It didn't cost the Blues the game, though, from all I have read.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#15 cprice12

cprice12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

I've already mentioned it and you ignored it. Your Blues got away with at least 3 interference calls, a couple tripping calls and probably more that I did not see. This bad call evened it out a bit

Interference?  Tripping?

And how again is that "goon hockey"?  

#16 cprice12

cprice12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

The Blues should be LIVID! If Detroit got screwed like that, this forum would be lit up with conspiracy and cheating and Bettman... They Blues lost two valuable points with that non-penalty.  I like to win, but don't like to be handed the win ala Pitt in 2009.

You and I have had our differences in the past, but this is dead on.  If the Wings go screwed that way, we all would be calling for somone's head! I do agree with the NO goon hockey too. I wish upon wishes that we had more players like Backes on this team....too bad for your loss, but I am sure you will make it up this season while Detroit continues to play like the local squirt team in town....

Well, I never said it cost the Blues the game, that would imply the Blues would have won if no penalty was called...which we'll never know.  Detroit may have still won the game, but the penalty ended up leading to the game winning goal...so yeah, Detroit was handed one there.  But as far as blame goes...yeah, Walsh was to blame 100%.  It was just a bad call.  I'm not sure how anyone can say they don't blame him when he is the one who messed up.

The Blues will have their chance for redemption quickly... we play each other again on Thursday.  I'm kinda liking this short season.  Lots of division games close together.

#17 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

Interference?  Tripping?

And how again is that "goon hockey"?  

It is not "goon" hockey, but it's not like you guys weren't getting away with a lot of penalties in that game. You didn't deserve THAT penalty, I agree. It does even out though, and we got a little justice for it

#18 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

I've never had much respect for Backes, but apparently he has changed over the last few years, hence his improved reputation.  It will take more than that to convince me otherwise, but I'm open to him having turned over a new leaf.  

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#19 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

They shouldn't call a 5 min major unless they are sure especially not in the 3rd period of a close game. The ref should be rescinded.

#20 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

They shouldn't call a 5 min major unless they are sure especially not in the 3rd period of a close game. The ref should be rescinded.

I believe the ref was sure, which is why he didn't confer with the other refs on the call. That doesn't mean he was right though