• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
uk_redwing

Interesting stat for fight fans

Rate this topic

15 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I would have liked to see them both go in their prime. Unfortunately I think Khabib would prolly wreck GSP now, but like 5 years ago? IDK

I genuinely don't think so.  Khabib is an absolute monster on the ground, and his pace will kill you if he gets you there.  But GSP has plus level wrestling, grapping, AND striking.  His takedown defense would be too good for Khabib to do what he typically does to everyone and GSP would pick him apart standing up, just like he did to Bisping.  I think GSP, Woodley, and Usman are the only guys who have a real change against Khabib because they all have plus level wrestling AND the striking.  Khabib's striking sucks (minus that sweet right hook he dropped on Conor's stupid mug).

31 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I genuinely don't think so.  Khabib is an absolute monster on the ground, and his pace will kill you if he gets you there.  But GSP has plus level wrestling, grapping, AND striking.  His takedown defense would be too good for Khabib to do what he typically does to everyone and GSP would pick him apart standing up, just like he did to Bisping.  I think GSP, Woodley, and Usman are the only guys who have a real change against Khabib because they all have plus level wrestling AND the striking.  Khabib's striking sucks (minus that sweet right hook he dropped on Conor's stupid mug).

I just mostly think GSP is aging out.

It would be interesting to see the strategy fersure. GSP knows Khabib wants to roll, so he's probably going to avoid that at all costs and make him stand up and slug, where, like you said, GSP has the advantage. But all Khabib really needs is one early/lucky takedown and then he can go to work on the mat wearing GSP down. I think that has to be Khabib's strategy. Get the older fighter down as early as possible and grind on him. You're probably not gonna get GSP to tap, but you can probably get the decision if you control the pace.