Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

WCSF Game 2 GDT : Red Wings 4 at Blackhawks 1 - (Series Tied at 1)

gdt

• Please log in to reply
632 replies to this topic

#581 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

This group just continues to impress the hell out of me. The resiliency they constantly have shown is unreal. A dominating performance on the road against the best team in hockey to get the series even. Mike Babcock is the Jack Adams winner -- nobody has done a better coaching job between the injuries, offseason losses and incorporating a ton of youth all at once. 

I don't know the Red Wings will win this series, but I have no doubts they will compete and give the Blackhawks everything they can handle. The Joe is going to be nuts on Monday!

Edited by GoWings1905, 18 May 2013 - 06:41 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#582 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

The Joe is going to be nuts on Monday!

They'll show hawks fans how a real fanbase celebrates the NHL playoffs

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#583 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

[quote name="Playmaker" post="2406686" timestamp="1368902201"]Smith is a rookie who is going to make mistakes.  Pucks will get past you at the point.  If Cleary does his job, it's a good scoring chance, and nothing more.  He's a seasoned playoff veteran and shouldn't be making plays like this.  Cleary isn't the scapegoat.  He's getting well deserved criticism for his extremely poor play.[/quote

What you call "well-deserved criticism" is what I'd call obsessive overkill. He is not playing well. But Cleary commentary has gone from well-chosen, logical and timely remarks to a kind of pubescent, smart-ass, sarcastic let's-all-dump-on-him-because-it's-the-current-thing-to-do thing. Kind of like mindless, absentee bullying. What I find interesting about my own reaction is that whether it's my business or not; and even though I don't have any control over it, I feel embarrassed and sad for those of you who are persisting, even when he plays ok. It's just a guess here. A stab in the dark? But I'm thinking the point has been made that Daniel Cleary is not playing well.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#584 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,455 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

sad panda fans... aw.

game2smittygoalwhat_zps3bf97ce2.jpg

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#585 winginKentucky

winginKentucky

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

How Babcock doesn't get the jack adamns I don't know. Haters gonna hate but you can't argue against the results.

I do realize that the awards go to the regular season champs....but.....

Edited by winginKentucky, 18 May 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#586 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

Two historic numbers to pitch in:

This was the Club's 600th playoff game game, with a record of 318W-281L-1T

This was Head Coach Mike Babcock's 106th game, moving him into second place on the Club's all-time lis, ahead of "Jack" Adams (Bowman, 134).

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#587 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

Big giant huge win today. I was at work so couldn't watch. But we did what needed to be done. I thought we would get 1 in Chitown. Glad to be right on that. Now how do the b hawks react and can we sustain? Hope we do.

#588 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

Had a huge gig today playing bass with my band at a wine festival, so I'm glad to hear the boys kicked ass in the rink like we did on stage. Looking forward to Game 3. I'm going to enjoy watching the DVR of the game later.

Edited by TheXym, 18 May 2013 - 07:47 PM.

It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#589 Phil Lesh

Phil Lesh

Silver apples in the sun.

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

Anyone else catch Toews whining about the "no calls" today? guy spends the game flopping every time Z gets near him then has the nerve to cry about the refs. Classy move.

edit: Just spotted LeftWinger's post.

You guys really have to get over your obsession/envy of Sidney Crosby.  He's a great player, one of the best in the NHL right now. 

One of the top ball punchers in NHL history.

Edited by Phil Lesh, 18 May 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#590 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

OH NOES! Another Chicago Tribune writer needs his bottle and a nap. The headline? 

Wings play extra tough with Toews

Awwwwww, they're playing hockey against us. That's not fair. We're the #1 seed and we've spent months calling this team invincible. We should get every call in every game. It worked for Jordan. HEY LEAGUE, stop letting them check our players. The writer gives Toews a chance to fill his diaper:

"It's just tough to understand sometimes why we get roughing penalties and hooking penalties, whatever it is, and it doesn't go both ways," Toews said. "If that's the way it's going to be, well, we need to understand that and play more physical and be tougher on them. We'll know that going into the next one.

http://www.chicagotr...0,4395897.story

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#591 Phil Lesh

Phil Lesh

Silver apples in the sun.

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

I had to double check and make sure I wasn't watching the Canucks the way he was whining.

#592 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

OH NOES! Another Chicago Tribune writer needs his bottle and a nap. The headline? 

Wings play extra tough with Toews

Awwwwww, they're playing hockey against us. That's not fair. We're the #1 seed and we've spent months calling this team invincible. We should get every call in every game. It worked for Jordan. HEY LEAGUE, stop letting them check our players. The writer gives Toews a chance to fill his diaper:

"It's just tough to understand sometimes why we get roughing penalties and hooking penalties, whatever it is, and it doesn't go both ways," Toews said. "If that's the way it's going to be, well, we need to understand that and play more physical and be tougher on them. We'll know that going into the next one.

http://www.chicagotr...0,4395897.story

It's become pretty obvious to me that The Trib doesn't do hockey so well. I'd be livid if I was a Hawks fan.

Ugh, I just threw up in my mouth a little.

I'd be sending some uncomplimentary e-mails to that rag, for sure.

Edited by MidMichSteve, 18 May 2013 - 08:11 PM.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#593 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

Hrm, they need to get rougher than cross-checking to the head and flying elbows on defenseless already checked (and boarded) red wings?

I hope they goon it up at the Joe and Shanahanigans ensue. Shanahan will have to recuse himself because of his fear of being called a homer, and some lackey of his will have to hand out suspensions to the Hawks.

#594 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

Sounds like the Wings have thrown them off their game. Let's hope their new strategy of running the Wings backfires.

Also, Wings had the advantage in matchups in Chicago. One can only assume that advantage will be stronger in Detroit. Is a 3-1 lead heading into game 5 too greedy yet?

I don't expect Chicago to roll over, but let's hope the Wings teach them a lesson we had to learn a few times on our rise to greatness: never underestimate the underdog.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#595 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,061 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

There was one play where Hank knocked Tayz down from behind, and kinda crosschecked him in the head on his way down, then pushed him down when he tried to get up, then pushed him down again.

The zebras were very much on our side this afternoon.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#596 winginKentucky

winginKentucky

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Calls will go either way. Just stop with the whining toews.

#597 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

Toews whining today would be as silly as if Z had done so (not that he would) after Game 1.

Your team got outplayed for 60 minutes there captain. The refs had no bearing on the beat down.

#598 winginKentucky

winginKentucky

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Exactly.

whining to the refs after the fact is gonna be bad for the hawks.

Who likes to be second quessed?

#599 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,061 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

The refs had no bearing on the beat down.

Sure they did. I mean, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying we didn't flat-out own this game. We did. And it was Glorious. But we definitely had a little "help."

Unrelated note:

"They kind of used our own style against us as far as holding onto the puck and keeping it away from us," Kane said.

It's called puck-possession, Patrick, and you damn well now you learned it from us.

Not that he doesn't know that. But, well, point is: he's a ****** bag.

EDIT:

Oh, come on, guys...

whining to the refs after the fact is gonna be bad for the hawks.

Who likes to be second quessed?

And Babcock wasn't all over that lineseman re: that icing call?

Edited by Dabura, 18 May 2013 - 09:11 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#600 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

I don't remember any specific plays that were blatant penalties by the Wings that got overlooked. If you have the puck and are controlling play more, the less likely you are to commit infractions. Toews should know this on a puck possession team.

This was just one team being far better than the other. The refs influence outcomes all too often in the NHL these days, but it's silly to claim a little physical play prevented Chicago from winning. Toews doesn't care that Shaw skates around like an idiot though nearly every shift?