4 replies to this topic

#1 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

TSN.ca

St. Louis Blues forward Andy McDonald has decided to retire as he continues to deal with post-concussion issues.

McDonald played 12 NHL seasons with the Blues and Anaheim Ducks, scoring 182 goals and 307 assists for 489 points in 685 games. He also suffered five known concussions over his career.

"The last few years, too much of the focus became worrying about the next hit. I was always thinking about it." McDonald told truehockey.com.

The 35-year-old had thoughts of retirement during the season and made the decision after sitting down with family after the Blues were eliminated from the playoffs.

"I'm fortunate to get out now," added McDonald. "I know I could play two or three more years and I love the game of hockey, but healthwise, I know I shouldn't be playing."

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#2 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

Good for him knowing to get out now, and not suffering another concussion. Pretty scary stuff.

IPB Image

#3 Yeti

Yeti

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

its sad to see a player stop playing because of an injury, but its probably the right decision.

#4 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

The right decision indeed if you are worried about every hit coming your way.

Good call by McDonald.

#5 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

With the number of wreckless headshots in the NHL these days, I'm not surprised.  Probably the best decision for him unfortunately.  He was a really good player and the Blues will no doubt miss him.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.