• Please log in to reply
327 replies to this topic

#301 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

I would prefer Nyquist, Tatar, Bertuzzi or Eaves. If Jurco was good enough for the first line wouldn't he be better on the 3rd. Jurco was fine for his first NHL game but we need goals. Having a kid playing his first NHL game is not going to get us more goals

I guarantee Babs logic is that he thought Datsyuk would be able to cover for him and then the rest of our lines would have more depth and it worked for the most part but Datsyuk should be scoring because he's our best offensive player in the lineup.
I'm not even that mad about it. I just wish Babs would try things to get more scoring. Having one line get hot and carry us out of this slump. Load up on the top line try to win some games

It feels like you're pinning a whole lot on the simple fact that Tomas Jurco played on a line with Datsyuk and Alfredsson, becuse he's a kid, or something. I mean, yeah, we didn't score - but we haven't been scoring for a couple weeks now.

I don't think "loading up" (Jurco - Datsyuk - Alfredsson is actually a pretty solid line, on paper and the ice) is much of a plan. If we do that, the opposition just has to shut down one single line. And our entire bottom six would be defensive forwards.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#302 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

I'd like to see Pulkkinen get a look.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#303 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:46 PM

It feels like you're pinning a whole lot on the simple fact that Tomas Jurco played on a line with Datsyuk and Alfredsson, becuse he's a kid, or something. I mean, yeah, we didn't score - but we haven't been scoring for a couple weeks now.

I don't think "loading up" (Jurco - Datsyuk - Alfredsson is actually a pretty solid line, on paper and the ice) is much of a plan. If we do that, the opposition just has to shut down one single line. And our entire bottom six would be defensive forwards.

I blame Babcock, not Jurco. I don't blame Jurco at all. He played well for his first NHL game. I'm just sick of this team losing games the same way every night. I have to believe there is a line combination in this lineup that can score a goal.

#304 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

Another tough loss, at some point things will turn around though.  I wonder who they could possibly bring up now?  Last note they should wave Cleary on HBO/247 it would make compelling television, Holland, Babcock, Cleary all crying together etc....  

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#305 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:14 PM

Hopefully with Franzen out Sheahan gets the call next

#306 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

Babcock said he has no update on Franzen. Another head injury, he must go through the concussion protocol.

whats that mean hes out 5 games?

#307 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:35 PM

Out until he passes all tests

#308 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

It didn't even look like he really got hit, more of a shove from the glove into the face.   Can someone post the video of the hit again? 

#309 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

I am never a fan of losing, but I would much rather lose with our kids, than garbage in the lineup. I cannot wait for Z and Helm to be healthy so we can sit Cleary and Bertuzzi. I know cap space us an issue, but we need to just waive Cleary and have injuries mysteriously appear for Bert and Sammy. Then when Diesel gets back, we need to rid ourselves if Q.

this is a great time to be a Wings fan. With all these kids playing, it reminds me of watching the 90's Wings grow together and once they create that "core" of players, magic will happen yet again.

I do believe that Mrazek is our future. I may be in the minority, but with monster playing so well, and as cheap as he may be to re-sign, Jimmy just may becoming expendable. This team needs a legit top D-Man and a package of Jimmy, Q and something else just may land that #1 guy...just saying.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#310 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

Jesus, you people realize this s***ty team isn't Cleary or Sammy (or whoever else people love to shred) fault. Not even close. I guess since Robert Lang and Jason Williams aren't here, you've got to beat up on someone, right? :shock:

#311 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

I hate this.  This team can't put the puck in the net.  at.  all.  I wish Mick would shut up about the 'silver lining' too.  I don't care one bit that there's a 7 point cushion.  The team sucks right now.  Terribly.  They can't score for the freaking life of them.  That's it.  No silver lining to it.

I am so sick of watching losses.  I am going to go vomit now.

#312 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

Well I think most here would welcome Lang right now for his offense, and at least Jason Williams could have potted a few in the shootouts

#313 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

Ugh I'm so sick of this team I'm never watching them again... Until the next game that is.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#314 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:24 PM

1471362_10201337406027397_494829762_n.jp

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#315 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:30 PM

Yes, we are all sick of watching losses, but realize this team is the result of 20+ years of dominance. I am not sure if you are old enough to remember the Dead Wing era, but after that era is when they started building a team through the draft and trades that turned into the 90's Wings.

I am sick of watching losses with Dan Cleary, Todd Bertuzzi, Mikael Samuelsson and Johan Franzen in the lineup.  I have no issues watching losses with Jurco, Nyquist, Tatar, Dekeyser, Smith, Mrazek, et al. in the lineup.  It is that core of players that are going to define the next 20 years of Red Wings hockey.  I am not saying they are all going to be Hall of Famers, or even close to Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Draper, McCarty, Maltby, et al. BUT I am more than willing to ditch the dead weight and let these kids grow together, lose together and learn to win together and create that next Dynasty.

I also would like to keep the playoff streak alive, but I am not all for suppressing the growth of our youth in order to play the crap vets that Holland refuses to let go by the wayside.  To me, and maybe I am not in the majority here, but Cleary, Franzen, Bertuzzi, Sammy, Quincey and possibly Jimmy are all expendable. I know Q has his good nights (rarely) and Franzen seemed to have gotten a little life in him playing center again (he has since cooed WAY down) but think ab out the needs of this team.  Yes a #1 scorer (even I have pined for that) but most importantly, I think we need that #1 top defenseman.  Which is why it really hurt not being able to snag Suter away from his family ties.  But honestly, looking at our depth in goal, on D (when it comes to #'s 3-7) and even eventual 20-30 goal scorer's, think about what could be had out there if Howard, Franzen and Quincey were offered in a package... I am not saying trade them right f'ing now, but if they are very expendable considering the return and what we have waiting in the wings...

www.thinkdunes.com

#316 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

Yes, we are all sick of watching losses, but realize this team is the result of 20+ years of dominance. I am not sure if you are old enough to remember the Dead Wing era, but after that era is when they started building a team through the draft and trades that turned into the 90's Wings.

I am sick of watching losses with Dan Cleary, Todd Bertuzzi, Mikael Samuelsson and Johan Franzen in the lineup.  I have no issues watching losses with Jurco, Nyquist, Tatar, Dekeyser, Smith, Mrazek, et al. in the lineup.  It is that core of players that are going to define the next 20 years of Red Wings hockey.  I am not saying they are all going to be Hall of Famers, or even close to Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Draper, McCarty, Maltby, et al. BUT I am more than willing to ditch the dead weight and let these kids grow together, lose together and learn to win together and create that next Dynasty.

I also would like to keep the playoff streak alive, but I am not all for suppressing the growth of our youth in order to play the crap vets that Holland refuses to let go by the wayside.  To me, and maybe I am not in the majority here, but Cleary, Franzen, Bertuzzi, Sammy, Quincey and possibly Jimmy are all expendable. I know Q has his good nights (rarely) and Franzen seemed to have gotten a little life in him playing center again (he has since cooed WAY down) but think ab out the needs of this team.  Yes a #1 scorer (even I have pined for that) but most importantly, I think we need that #1 top defenseman.  Which is why it really hurt not being able to snag Suter away from his family ties.  But honestly, looking at our depth in goal, on D (when it comes to #'s 3-7) and even eventual 20-30 goal scorer's, think about what could be had out there if Howard, Franzen and Quincey were offered in a package... I am not saying trade them right f'ing now, but if they are very expendable considering the return and what we have waiting in the wings...

I didn't see the game, but reading the board here seems like a trade might be what this team needs (along with a healthy roster).

Only problem is...Who wants our 'junk'?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#317 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:08 PM

Which is why we cannot trade "junk."  This team needs an impact player.  Our depth in goal, the D on the farm and our mid-higher level scorer's on the farm make Howard, Quincey and Franzen expendable and VERY replaceable.

I am not going to say trade them or Holland sucks, but as mentioned no one wants our junk, so if those three were packaged for a legit #1 defender, I really don't think the lose of players would be an issue.

www.thinkdunes.com

#318 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

Which is why we cannot trade "junk."  This team needs an impact player.  Our depth in goal, the D on the farm and our mid-higher level scorer's on the farm make Howard, Quincey and Franzen expendable and VERY replaceable.

I am not going to say trade them or Holland sucks, but as mentioned no one wants our junk, so if those three were packaged for a legit #1 defender, I really don't think the lose of players would be an issue.

Of those 3 players (Howard/Quincey/Franzen) - I think it's safe to say that rival GM's would only have interest in Howard, and in return we'd get someone of similar value...It's questionable as to what we'd get in return for the other 2 slumping players (even if they were part of the Howard package).

With that said - I personally wouldn't mind seeing Holland make a few moves, but as in past years we hear the  - 'our returning players from IR will be our trade deadline acquisitions'.  :confused:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#319 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

Of those 3 players (Howard/Quincey/Franzen) - I think it's safe to say that rival GM's would only have interest in Howard, and in return we'd get someone of similar value...It's questionable as to what we'd get in return for the other 2 slumping players (even if they were part of the Howard package).

With that said - I personally wouldn't mind seeing Holland make a few moves, but as in past years we hear the  - 'our returning players from IR will be our trade deadline acquisitions'.  :confused:

Not advocating trading Franzen, but I would think he would fetch a decent return. Considering the fact that he doesn't have a big cap hit and if he's healthy he would still score 30 or close to it. I know he has lot's of years left on his contract but taking into account his production and the salaries in the sport his cap hit is plenty reasonable.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#320 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:53 PM

Franzen has been great since coming back from injury. Remarkably consistent and over a point per game since, I think. The Franzen-hate is just old now. He's had hustle on the back check, is scoring, is assisting and is playing solid defensively. Move on for now.

We can't trade. Holland has been trying apparently. We will have to waive someone and until Babcock started giving Cleary PP time it seemed like Holland was about to turn that page. Maybe he still is and Babcock is desperately trying to get Cleary going to save him from the chopping block.

At any rate, once DeKeyser comes back, someone HAS to go, so we don't have to wait long for a (minor) shakeup.

Best the team can do is weather the storm, squeak into the playoffs and lose some contracts next summer. There aren't any real big superstars available on the UFA market, but there are bound to be servicable vets who would be improvements on who we have.

The good news is, Sammy being waived won't help us cap-wise, so only Cleary fits the bill. Unless through a bout of insanity they waive someone like Miller.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.