• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

Filppula Hudler Helm Abdelkader Dekeyser Lashoff and a bunch of others have come in and played over vets when they showed they were ready. For the most part once a fut proves, it he sticks. They will not, however, leave a spot open to give a kid a tryout, then send him down and have to find a plug later if he can't handle it. One, it can be bad for the kid's confidence and development, and two it's generally more expensive to fill a hole mid season than it is in the off season. The disconnect is when fans think a kid is ready and when the coaches think he's ready. People wanted both Ericsson and Smith up earlier than they were and both struggled when they were full time NHL players a year later.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#42 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

No. One game, no matter how good a team looks doesn't matter. unless it is game 7 of course. A true turning point is going on a run. Win 7 of 8, 8 of 11 etc..... That is a turning point. Fact is we play Chicago tough and always have. In many ways we are mirror images of each other. Good skating skilled teams that are not physical. Let's not over look the "over looking" factor. Most teams are not scared by us anymore. That can be a good/bad thing.

#43 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

Here's how I look at it up front. We can only have 14 forwards until the 23-man roster limit is lifted. Let's say, miraculously, we're completely healthy. Take the actual lines with a grain of salt.

Zetterberg--Datsyuk--Abdelkader

Franzen--Helm--Alfredsson

Nyquist--Weiss--Tatar

Miller--Andersson--Cleary

Scratches: Bertuzzi and Samuelsson

Sent down just because they can be, even though they don't deserve to be (thanks to Sammy, Kenny!): Eaves, Glendening, Sheahan and Jurco

I don't think we'll ever be totally healthy, so at least one of Eaves, Glendening, etc. will be up. But when the 23-man roster limit is lifted (after the trade deadline I believe), I think they'll definitely challenge for 4th line spots and possibly play their way into the lineup that way. Of course, Weiss' play after injury is a huge question mark as well.

#44 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

Legit question here for the forum.  How does the roster expansion work after the trade deadline?  I mean, how do the rules work to ensure that there is no cap circumvention?  I legitimately don't know the nuts and bolts of this one.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#45 shoe

shoe

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

Win at least 3 games in a row by more than a goal in 2 of them and I'll call it a turning point.

We have seen them loose we have seen them win but when was the last time they WON? You know up by a goal in the 2nd not letting the other team come back in the 3rd no OT no shootout just a plain old big win. Would really like to see that happen with Montreal tonight.

#46 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

Legit question here for the forum.  How does the roster expansion work after the trade deadline?  I mean, how do the rules work to ensure that there is no cap circumvention?  I legitimately don't know the nuts and bolts of this one.

You can add as many players as you can fit under the cap.  For the playoffs, there is no cap I think

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#47 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

You can add as many players as you can fit under the cap.  For the playoffs, there is no cap I think

Aha, so barring an injury to a player who makes a decent amount of money the Wings would be able to add nobody because we're up against the cap?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#48 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

Aha, so barring an injury to a player who makes a decent amount of money the Wings would be able to add nobody because we're up against the cap?

Correct as far as the period from the trade deadline to the end of the regular season.  Players are only paid for the regular season, so once teams get to the playoffs the salary cap no longer applies either.

#49 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

Cool, thanks for the info fellas.

#50 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

Ya no cap and roster restriction are why you saw players like Helm and Abs feature in the playoffs quite a bit long before they were regulars on the roster during the season.

#51 ash11

ash11

Rookie

• Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

as i said turning point! woo! wish we would get pav soon!

#52 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

http://octopusthrowe..._medium=twitter

Go read this. Its a great read about the teams newfound chemistry.

#53 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

No. One game, no matter how good a team looks doesn't matter. unless it is game 7 of course. A true turning point is going on a run. Win 7 of 8, 8 of 11 etc..... That is a turning point. Fact is we play Chicago tough and always have. In many ways we are mirror images of each other. Good skating skilled teams that are not physical. Let's not over look the "over looking" factor. Most teams are not scared by us anymore. That can be a good/bad thing.

Wrong. A turning point IS one game. It is just the games following the Chicago win that determines if said game was a turning point or not. If the team does continue to win now, then we can look back and say that game VS Chicago was the turning point. Not an entire winning streak. Going on a good run would be part of the whole turn around, however. 

#54 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

Wrong. A turning point IS one game. It is just the games following the Chicago win that determines if said game was a turning point or not. If the team does continue to win now, then we can look back and say that game VS Chicago was the turning point. Not an entire winning streak. Going on a good run would be part of the whole turn around, however. 

Yes this is correct. A streak isn't a turning point.The streak defines the turning point. I haven't really read any of this thread but to be honest that fluke goal against LA would be my turning point so far this season. If they can keep this consistent play up and slowly creep up the standings, it has to be the turning point. Did I say turning point enough?

#55 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

Ok, we started the year with:

DATS, Z, ABBY

WEISS, ALFIE, MULE

BERT, ANDY, TATS

MILLER, TOOTS, SAMMY. (Tats, Sammy and Toots as the sitter)

We have just won our second in a row with:

GUS Z ABBY

JURCO, SHEHAN, TATS

CLEARY, HELM, ALFIE

MILLER, GLENNY, EAVES

Its not even the same team!!!  We haven't even discussed D or our goaltending issues. Guys on this team who never thought they would be playing in the NHL this year....Remember back in October how frustrated we all were that Gus wasn't called up and now the guy is on the TOP LINE.

We can win 65% of the remaining games. If we are mostly healthy, this squad should win more.

Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#56 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

Make the playoffs and then ice the best lineup possible.  I personally believe that with a 2nd line of Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar, we can win a Cup as long as the bottom 6 has no Cleary, Tuzzi, Sammy….any of those guys.  Come playoffs, I don't care if Weiss is our 4th line C, put him there if other guys are playing their way up.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#57 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

Make the playoffs and then ice the best lineup possible.  I personally believe that with a 2nd line of Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar, we can win a Cup as long as the bottom 6 has no Cleary, Tuzzi, Sammy.any of those guys.  Come playoffs, I don't care if Weiss is our 4th line C, put him there if other guys are playing their way up.

I think we will see a different Weiss when he comes back.

#58 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

I think we will see a different Weiss when he comes back.

I agree 100%, once he's healthy and doesn't have lingering issues.  I just used him as an example cause of his offensive woes.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#59 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

I agree 100%, once he's healthy and doesn't have lingering issues.  I just used him as an example cause of his offensive woes.

I agree, and would ease him in as our 4th line center until he feels comfortable. Especially since, God willing, you can go Dats-Z-Helm down the middle until Weiss gets his legs/timing down.

#60 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

I agree, and would ease him in as our 4th line center until he feels comfortable. Especially since, God willing, you can go Dats-Z-Helm down the middle until Weiss gets his legs/timing down.

And come playoffs, Sheahan and Glendening can also play wing quite good.

Free darkmanx!