• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

Unfortunately I didn't get to see the game today because of that stupid thing called employment but I saw the highlights and was following along in the office.

I'm not quite sure what my expectations for the season are yet but it's certainly to make the playoffs either via a division crown or the wild card and I do like how we have converted to a fast team this season and I think that suits our ball park better. I actually think KC has a good team and could be our major threat in the Central this year.

Anyways, we're on pace for 162-0!

Eat 'em up Tigers!

Edited by 8 Legged RedWing, 31 March 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#2 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

When the hell did they sign Joba Chamberlain? Also, is Castellanos up full time now?

It's an interesting make-up of a team though, much different than last years obviously. Hopefully replacing power hitting with speed will keep the runs high like before.

#3 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

Yea Castellanos is our full time starting 3rd basemen and Joba was a mid off season acquisition. I don't expect Joba to play too much of a role early on. When we start playing weeks in a row later in the season he will be needed to throw some innings late in the games.

#4 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

I wish they would have traded Scherzer instead of Fister; the make up of the team behind the pitcher now suits Fister (groundball outs guy) than Scherzer (strikeouts).  I also would have thrown in any prospect not named Castellanos to get Elvis Andrus instead of Ian Kinsler.  The Venezualen turn between Andrus-Infante-Cabrera, with the rangy Iglesias at third (of Cuban-descent, and a great relationship with Omar Infante), would have been significantly better than what they went with.  The difference between Kinsler and Infante is insignificant as far as talent; but Dombrowski threw away that camraderie and is now asking a multitude of players to develop new relationships.  Let's say Infante went down with an injury... Perez is a solid backup.  Let's say Andrus goes down with an injury... Iglesias slides over.  Let's say Iglesias goes down with an injury... Castelanos steps in like he did.

There was no point in trading for a 2B when there was a competent guy that could have been re-signed... I didn't understand that trade whatsoever.  They could have traded Scherzer for a guy like lefty pitcher James Paxton and utility player Nick Franklin (Seattle), re-signed Infante for 2 years or so at $13M/yr, and swung Fielder, Eugenio Suarez, and Austin Schotts for Andrus.  Give up the draft pick to bring in Curtis Granderson for 2-years, $19.5M/yr, and pick up the option on Jose Veras.  They could have still brought in Joe Nathan at $10M/yr  AND signed Edward Mujica (2-years, $4.75M/yr) to round out the bullpen. 

ALLLL these moves and they STILL would have been under $175M.  Going forward, I figured Cabrera would cost $29M in 2016 (I would have only given him a 3-year extension for up to $33M/yr), but the team would have been back under $160M in 2015 by letting Hunter and Martinez move on, even with Andrus' salary bump and Fister getting about $15M/yr.

Edited by _SP_, 13 April 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#5 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

Do you mean Fister? And Scherzer>>>>>>>>>>>>Fister, Scherzer was their best pitcher last season by far. I think even Sanchez did better than Verlander IIRC.

#6 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

Do you mean Fister? And Scherzer>>>>>>>>>>>>Fister, Scherzer was their best pitcher last season by far. I think even Sanchez did better than Verlander IIRC.

:lol: :lol:  Good lord.  I was just talking to a buddy about Eric Fisher and how he went #1 overall, but people expect two of Lewan, Robinson, and Matthews to fall out of the top 10 in the NFL Draft.  Guess I should stick to talking about one sport at a time.

That's embarrassing... but yes, Scherzer was a one-time, one-trick pony.  Doug Fister has put up some of the best stats in baseball for groundball-per-at-bat, and with a defensively-oriented infield, that would only get better.  Scherzer is going to be Scherzer regardless of the team behind him- he's going to try to overpower the hitter and rack up K's. 

#7 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#8 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,835 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

Nice win last night.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#9 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:05 AM

I'm glad that the team is trying to become more athletic. The past few years they went with slow guys that couldn't field but they sure could hit the ball. That was fine during the regular season but when they got to the postseason and had to face better pitchers and better defenses it was hard to hit doubles and homeruns, they could only go station to station on singles which were hard to string together. 

I hope that over the next few years they start to rebuild the farm system. Trade bait and future stars.

Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#10 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:56 PM

The Tigers are red hot right now. Can we just play the Astros all season? That'd be great.

#11 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:20 AM

Still red hot. 24-12. Best record in baseball. Won 12 of their last 15 I believe? This has been fun so far!

#12 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,835 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:40 AM

Tigers. That is all.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#13 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

Lol 10 road game wins in a row. Now that's impressive. We've got a chance to sweep the Red Sox in Boston for the first time in over 30 years today.

It was nice when we were beating up on bad teams like we should be when we're winning and sweeping series against good teams like Baltimore and Boston, that really bodes well for the Tigers.

#14 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,835 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

Boston = swept. 

#15 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,835 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

Geez, walk off balk. What a way to lose.

#16 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,835 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

Back in the win column.

#17 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,835 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

Wow, Tigers are suffering right now. Defeated by 10 runs or more in their last 3 games. 

#18 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,835 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:05 PM

Am I the only one posting here? 

#19 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

Lol I check in every now and then. I went to the game last night. First game of the season and it was great although Nathan tried to blow it late...

#20 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:52 PM

I'll be showing the Tigers feed from now until sometime in Sept at my site, for those that use it.

Your any-time FSD online source, with pre and post game coverage along with any Red Wings specials.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users