• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukianDekes

Ovechkin joins elite company

Rate this topic

Well I have only really been a Wings fan and if Tatar or Nyquist or pretty much any other winger not named Franzen played like Ovechkin did/does they wouldn't be around. Two way players is in my opinion the only way hockey should be played and all the rest of those guys are one trick ponies who sit in the slot or on the dot most the game waiting for a good pass or cherry pick waiting for a pass to score easy. Just not my thing.

I would love for us to have a one trick pony that scores 50 goals and shoots right handed. The two way forward thing is good too, but not mandatory when you have other guys that can fill that role. We don't have anyone who can score goals like Ovechckin. I guess nobody does except for Tampa.

Hmm. Personally, Ovechkin, when he gives his all, is the most exciting player in the game. Hands down. He hits. He scores. He's got incredible wheels.

I have watched a lot of Caps games purely just so I could watch Ovie, and this year I've definitely noticed a change in his game. There is a commitment to actually back checking and playing D that just wasn't really consistently part of his game before now. Too many times the Caps lost the puck and Ovie would skate nonchalantly back into his own zone, waiting for someone else to take the puck away so he could rush it back the other way.

I lost a little respect for him a few years ago when I started to properly analyse his game. I thought and knew, with a little more effort and willingness, he could turn himself into such complete player that would garner the respect of everyone in ways he hasn't had before. I'm seeing that now. The dogged effort to get the puck back is coming from him now. He's skating hard, even in just a checking role. And it's so good to see.

I agree to an extent with korrowan. Playing at both ends of the ice is the only way to play. But there are guys that are such special talents, that the defensive aspect of the game goes over their heads.

My respect and admiration for Ovie has gone up a notch watching him play this year.

Hmm. Personally, Ovechkin, when he gives his all, is the most exciting player in the game. Hands down. He hits. He scores. He's got incredible wheels.

I have watched a lot of Caps games purely just so I could watch Ovie, and this year I've definitely noticed a change in his game. There is a commitment to actually back checking and playing D that just wasn't really consistently part of his game before now. Too many times the Caps lost the puck and Ovie would skate nonchalantly back into his own zone, waiting for someone else to take the puck away so he could rush it back the other way.

I lost a little respect for him a few years ago when I started to properly analyse his game. I thought and knew, with a little more effort and willingness, he could turn himself into such complete player that would garner the respect of everyone in ways he hasn't had before. I'm seeing that now. The dogged effort to get the puck back is coming from him now. He's skating hard, even in just a checking role. And it's so good to see.

I agree to an extent with korrowan. Playing at both ends of the ice is the only way to play. But there are guys that are such special talents, that the defensive aspect of the game goes over their heads.

My respect and admiration for Ovie has gone up a notch watching him play this year.

On LGW Ovie is one of the best wingers of all time and Franzen is possibly the worst.

On LGW Ovie is one of the best wingers of all time and Franzen is possibly the worst.

Are you really comparing the two? Even if you said they both float and play the same type of game, you can't even try to compare the fact that ovie scores twice as much as the mule.

Are you really comparing the two? Even if you said they both float and play the same type of game, you can't even try to compare the fact that ovie scores twice as much as the mule.

Nope, obviously they're two very different players. But I do find it amusing that many here are quick to overlook Ovi's laziness, but then quick to condemn Franzen's, that's all ;)

most people would have a good time if they only watched ovie for a full caps game. most people would fall asleep if they only watched mule for a wings game.

Oh is that the difference between a 1st liner and a 2nd/3rd liner? I had no idea.

i think a lot of people that call ovie a floater just go off of what they hear opposed to what they see. he's been improving his all around game you can notice that with his plus minus.

Oh yes, because +/- is sucha reliable stat. Gimme a break. Hippocrites.

lmao i knew you would bash plus minus. i was thinking of a quick way to prove to ppl that dont watch ovie that hes been more of an all around player.

oh well who cares, ovie is making his mark on the history books, i can appreciate what hes done.

As can I, He's a great player. Most likely a HOFer. Not sure why he escapes the lazy argument and Franzen doesn't. Both do their jobs well for their price tags.

As can I, He's a great player. Most likely a HOFer. Not sure why he escapes the lazy argument and Franzen doesn't. Both do their jobs well for their price tags.

he doesnt, he gets called lazy a lot by people like don cherry and whoever else. this is basically and appreciation thread even though its not labelled as one, which is why most people are just praising him, so feel free to bash him if you'd like.

ovie and franzen both get called lazy, difference is, this is a wings board so you will hear the bashing of any wings player more than anywhere else. especially someone who noticeably disappears (if that makes any sense). and people are hard on mule because hes super talented just like how babs in harder on tatar than other players.

he doesnt, he gets called lazy a lot by people like don cherry and whoever else. this is basically and appreciation thread even though its not labelled as one, which is why most people are just praising him, so feel free to bash him if you'd like.

ovie and franzen both get called lazy, difference is, this is a wings board so you will hear the bashing of any wings player more than anywhere else. especially someone who noticeably disappears (if that makes any sense). and people are hard on mule because hes super talented just like how babs in harder on tatar than other players.

?? Whats's wrong with Tatar??

"Tats is a competitive kid," Babcock said. "I might be harder on Tats than anybody on the team just because I think Tats has a chance to be a real player. We're going to hold him to that.

"We think he should be good every night because he's capable of being good every night and every shift. So we expect a lot from Tats and he's capable of doing that."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/11/red_wings_mike_babcock_pushes.html

how dare you make me research to back up my own words lol. just saying we are harder on franzen because he is so talented, kind of like babs is towards tats.

we are so off topic.

"Tats is a competitive kid," Babcock said. "I might be harder on Tats than anybody on the team just because I think Tats has a chance to be a real player. We're going to hold him to that.

"We think he should be good every night because he's capable of being good every night and every shift. So we expect a lot from Tats and he's capable of doing that."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/11/red_wings_mike_babcock_pushes.html

how dare you make me research to back up my own words lol. just saying we are harder on franzen because he is so talented, kind of like babs is towards tats.

we are so off topic.

Ok now dig up the same words on Franzen...

Edited by number9