• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Richdg

Howard

Rate this topic

Just enjoy Howard playing well.  I wonder just how much of an impact having a new goalie coach, coupled with the clarity of the situation of Jimmy being the backup maybe giving him a chip on his shoulder is factoring into his play.  Maybe he had gone as far as he could with Bedard as his goalie coach.  (Sort of like a talented student musician moving on from their high school director to a college professor for lessons).

As has been said, worst case we have two great goalies if he keeps it up.

8 minutes ago, TheXym said:

Just enjoy Howard playing well.  I wonder just how much of an impact having a new goalie coach, coupled with the clarity of the situation of Jimmy being the backup maybe giving him a chip on his shoulder is factoring into his play.  Maybe he had gone as far as he could with Bedard as his goalie coach.  (Sort of like a talented student musician moving on from their high school director to a college professor for lessons).

Depth.  What a horrible thing to have!! 

I mean, realistically, if we can't get an upgrade on defense having two studs in the net can go along way to help propel this team pretty far.

3 hours ago, TheXym said:

Indeed.

Seems like a good portion of the league has injured netminders...Just waiting for Price to go down again, and Montoya choking :lol:

Ya some teams have injured starters and are relying on borderline NHL goalies (LA has their starter and backup from their minor league team filling those roles on the big team, Price is hurt again leaving Montoya to start) going forward instead of trying to work out a deal for Howard when it's been known he's been available for awhile now. Normally when a (former in this case) starter is available, some team with a need finds a way to bring him in. Jimmy should be gone by now, but he obv has too many question marks for a team to take him on. Those two good games, while i'm happy about the result and happy for Jimmy, they really mean nothing.

As noted previously, I'm a fan of depth. Hanging onto Howard has been good for both Mrazek's development and hopefully re-raising the value of Howard in a trade.  Last season there was only a small window of opportunity to trade him for anything of value before his stock plummeted. Trading him prior to the season start would have been nothing more than a salary dump and we probably would have had to retain more than desired anyway.

So, as far as "Jimmy should be gone by now"   Where?  When?

Even though Jimmy has been available and teams know it -- it's pretty early in the season for some teams to be making a move like bringing in what might end up being a $5.3 million backup.  A starter going down this early isn't a concern for teams like LA or the Habs. It's not crunch time when every game counts, or desperation time to make the playoffs or time to bring in a vet to backup a young hot netminder that may not have it once the playoffs start.  Other teams are seeing if they can make a go of it with lesser goaltending without taking on a guy like Howard.

I know I keep harping on about how Howard should go to th' 'Peg in a package for Trouba, but I don't really believe that will happen.  TBH I'm not even sure I want it to happen this early in the season.  I hate the fact we're rolling with $9.3 million in goaltending but I do like the fact that we get solid, determined goaltending from Howie in a backup role, and exceptional young skill from Mrazek.  We should relish in the fact that we don't have to worry about goaltending night in and night out.

I'm not a Howard-slappy by any stretch of the meaning but, if he keeps up his play from the start of this season, steals a couple more games here and there, and shows he's overcome his mental blocks --  he deserves a shot at being a #1 somewhere.

Jimmy Howard should and hopefully will go to a team that needs a #1. It will hopefully be a meaningful trade for us, not just a salary dump. Worst case scenario, he gets picked up in the expansion draft and well... "we lose him for nothing."