• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

10/22 Drinking Game: Every Time the Wings Don't Score, Take a Shot GDT - Canucks @ Red Wings - 7:30 PM EST

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

None of those guys will be flops and I think you can count the number of "gems" pulled beyond the 2nd round on one hand. I don't think you can fault a GM for not finding those gems, and it's still possible that we have already found one in one of the past couple drafts...

I may be overly optimistic, but you're most certainly being overly pessimistic...

We'll have to wait and see how it pans out, but I disagree wholeheartedly with your opinion of where these prospects end up.

I said rounds 2 - 7. Means "inclusive". And plenty of guys have come out of the 2nd round. So far on this Wings team I only see Hronek and Bertuzzi. 

With regards to the 2nd bold. Average my pessimism and your optimism. See where that puts this team in terms of drafting and prospect development and ask if you're truly happy with this having suffered through most crappy on-ice products since basically 2014. I want more. 

26 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I said rounds 2 - 7. Means "inclusive". And plenty of guys have come out of the 2nd round. So far on this Wings team I only see Hronek and Bertuzzi. 

With regards to the 2nd bold. Average my pessimism and your optimism. See where that puts this team in terms of drafting and prospect development and ask if you're truly happy with this having suffered through most crappy on-ice products since basically 2014. I want more. 

I'm not sure how far you want to go back or how recent is fair to evaluate, but looking at 2013 to 2016, we've had two (Bertuzzi and Hronek) out of four 2nd round picks turn into high end NHL players. Nastasiuk is obviously a bust, but Smith could still become a reliable bottom six winger. I'm really not sure what your expectations are, but that's good value for the 2nd round.

Since 2017 we've had another six 2nd round picks (Lindstrom, Berggren, McIsaac, Tuomisto, Mastrosimone, Johansson). I'm not personally that high on any of them, besides maybe McIsaac, but it's still too early to say one way or another on any of them at this point.

I don't think our optimism and pessimism should be "averaged" though... I think you're off on your analysis. Again, none are likely to be elite players, but you don't get elite players beyond the top 5 or a huge amount of luck. All will be quality NHLers though. I'd honestly be shocked if a single one of the players mentioned end up being complete busts, let alone multiple players...

Edited by krsmith17

24 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not sure how far you want to go back or how recent is fair to evaluate, but looking at 2013 to 2016, we've had two (Bertuzzi and Hronek) out of four 2nd round picks turn into high end NHL players. Nastasiuk is obviously a bust, but Smith could still become a reliable bottom six winger. I'm really not sure what your expectations are, but that's good value for the 2nd round.

Since 2017 we've had another six 2nd round picks (Lindstrom, Berggren, McIsaac, Tuomisto, Mastrosimone, Johansson). I'm not personally that high on any of them, besides maybe McIsaac, but it's still too early to say one way or another on any of them at this point.

I don't think our optimism and pessimism should be "averaged" though... I think you're off on your analysis. Again, none are likely to be elite players, but you don't get elite players beyond the top 5 or a huge amount of luck. All will be quality NHLers though. I'd honestly be shocked if a single one of the players mentioned end up being complete busts, let alone multiple players...

I was willing to meet you in the middle.

But now I'm saying my "pessimistic" approach is going to be the more accurate take.