I will fully admit that the overreacting on here drives me nuts, at times. I agree with your first two points 100%. After that, we tend to have a different view of the situations.
3. This is my primary disagreement. I have seen others on here wanting him bought out to add some fancy new free agent to the team. I couldn't care less about the cap hit coming off the books if a Samuelsson buyout were to occur; it's about making room on the roster for the younger guys. The man can barely stay healthy for more than a handful of games at a time, and if he does... what real good does he do? Do you want him in your top 6, seriously? He's a 3 million dollar third liner. If his presence on the team next season means that one of Tatar or Nyquist does not have a spot, it's absolute garbage. Cap isn't the issue here - it's a useless player taking away from the progress of others.
4. This isn't so much me disagreeing as it is me simply stating: I don't care if we're not good next year, as we were this year. I didn't care how much noise we made this year, either. Part of us doing well may be used as a justification for bringing a guy like Cleary back, at the expense of some younger guys learning from Z and Datsyuk, first hand. I like Cleary, but I feel his time has passed. Success with this team = Holland things he's got a fantastic team = "well, I guess we can still let the kids overripe." I'm not an advocate of bringing in overpriced, lower-tier FA talent - I'm a fan of letting our young guys get the proper experience now with some of the more talented two-way centers in the game.
5. It's fine to look right now and see that FA class, but how many of those guys will actually be there come next summer. Tons of teams lock up their UFA's before they hit the market. Again, I don't want anyone in this year's FA class, but to say that we're saving for next summer has been kind of a cop out for several years now, and was really only a solid idea when Parise and Suter tested the market (Bad outcome, but those are the guys you throw money at.) Don't get me wrong, there are some nice names there (Vanek, Gabs, Kessel, Pominville, etc.)... but how many will actually make it to July 1st?
3. The point is simply that its better to pay Samuelsson to sit in the press box if we aren't going to spend the $10+ Million on THIS free agent class. Much like last year, we started and finished the season with a ton of cap space, so why waste our last buyout on a guy with one year left on his contract when Johan Franzen still has 7 left on his. Foolish to not see how he plays for one more season.
4. Cleary should not get a 3 year contract, but unfortunately I can see why he might. He was our third best player in the playoffs. He finished second in points, and played like a warrior most games. Moving to the eastern conference, he remains one of our ONLY players that plays the style of game you need to to get from most of your roster to battle in the east. Still more polished then ABBY and his point totals reflect that...
5. Next summer, while i know players will still be resigned the free agent class is still going to be MUCH better than this years, but the biggest wildcard will be the compliance buyouts. Next year, the window closes on any chance of cap relief for the remainder of this CBA. Names like Kovalchuk, Parise, Richards, Hossa, are already being talked about.
- T.Low likes this