I just completely blanked on the that one haha... Chara can move down the rotation as he gets older and less effective though, I'd stick with it and maybe work Dats in the same way on the bottom 6 somewhere.
I pretty much agree with this. Except I would have DAT on the third or fourth line. Then when he goes replace with staal.
That'd work for sure, It's so hard to narrow it down to 12 forwards, perhaps a cap compliant team would make this easier as others have mentioned.
I'd build my team with the best combination to win now and later (i.e. young players with lots of prime left). Of course no concern for the cap, and I'll try to build it not like an all star team, but with "bottom 6" type players in the bottom 6 (i.e. good defensively and/or hard hitters). Here we go:
Rick Nash - Sidney Crosby - Patrick Kane
Anze Kopitar - Steven Stamkos - Claude Giroux
Mike Richards - Jonathan Toews - Dustin Brown
Milan Lucic - Patrice Bergeron - David Backes
John Tavares, Jordan Staal
- On line one you have the big power forward Nash, the flashy and speedy Kane, and the of course Crosby who's very good defensively if needed. The opponents will never be able to focus on one threat on this line as they can all score and pass more or less
- Line two is all centres but the wingers have experience playing there. Kopitar's defensive strengths will cover for Stamkos' pure offensive focus. All 3 of these guys are electric when on their game.
- Line three has two centres for important faceoffs, captain serious in between two other captains who are gritty and can hit hard. Richards is also one of the best in his own zone and on the PK
- Line 4 also has two centres, with one excellent defensive forward in Bergeron surrounded by two huge bruising forwards. You're gonna be hurting when you're out against this line.
- With Tavares and Staal in the press box you have two guys who can step into the top and bottom 6, respectively, if necessary due to injury
Zdeno Chara - Erik Karlsson
Duncan Keith - Shea Weber
Drew Doughty - Kris Letang
You won't have to worry about matchups with this D-corps, roll them evenly as they can go head to head with the best in the business. Karlsson's offensive inclination is balanced by Chara's defensive one, but that's not a huge lean for either of them who are both very good at both ends. Keith and Weber are basically the perfect balance of top tier ability at both ends of the ice, as is Doughty and Letang. Pietrangelo is one of the league's best as well and he can slot in to replace anyone if necessary with minimal disruption.
Simply the two best goalies in the league today so it's an easy choice. However, If you're looking for a goalie who is more suited to the backup role, slot in Craig Anderson or Roberto Luongo instead as both have played 2nd fiddle for long periods and performed well when called upon.