No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dominator2005

New Ryan Smyth rumor...

Rate this topic

September 4, 2005

Flyers looking at Smyth

TheFourthPeriod.com

The Flyers are looking to lose a center, and according to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Michal Handzus appears to be the odd man out.

Handzus, who is set to earn $2.1 million this year and next, could be on his way to Edmonton for winger Ryan Smyth, claims the paper.

Flyers GM Bob Clarke has long coveted Smyth, who has yet to sign his one-year qualifying offer of $2.7 million.

The veteran winger is apparently looking for a three-year contract worth around $12 million.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi050904.html

04 SEPTEMBER 2005.

FLYERS INTERESTED IN SMYTH?

PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER: Tim Panaccio reports the Flyers want to lose a center and gain a winger, and Michal Handzus could become trade bait to accomplish this. Panaccio suggests a Handzus for Ryan Smyth trade would make sense. Smyth is seeking a three year deal (believed to be worth $4 million per season) which may not fit under the Oilers payroll, while Handzus's $2.1 million contract would fit, plus provide the depth the Oilers need at center. Panaccio believes it would take more than Handzus to tempt the Oilers to move Smyth "but not that much more".

Spector's Note: There's been speculation for some time now that the Flyers are trying to land Smyth by using Handzus as trade bait. Smyth has already agreed to a one-year deal with the Oilers, meaning they're in no rush to move him at this time. That being said, Smyth's trade status should be the subject of rumour for some time.

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spectors_...de_rumours.html

Not bad trade. Would benefit the both teams so I think this will happen.

Gagne - Forsberg - Knuble

Smyth - Carter - Kapanen

Brashear - Primeau - Stevenson

Sharp - Richards - Radivojevic

Very good offence.

I don't know if they could afford to take on an extra $2M. Here's the only way this deal could work:

Philadelphia has $34,120,600 in disclosed salary, and two rookies signed (+$1.5M). Now, if the other four players they have signed are ALL for the league minimum, it would push them up to $37,420,600. So, if they lose Handzus's $2.1M, bringing them down to $35,320,600, then take on Smyth's $4M that would bring them up to $39,320,600. I think the cap is at $39.5M, so that gives them BARELY just enough wiggle room IF they have those four I mentioned at league minimum.

Of course, they could avoid all that hoopla just by dumping another player or two--they wouldn't even have to be signficant ones--but bah humbug I don't believe it anyways.

I don't know if they could afford to take on an extra $2M. Here's the only way this deal could work:

Philadelphia has $34,120,600 in disclosed salary, and two rookies signed (+$1.5M). Now, if the other four players they have signed are ALL for the league minimum, it would push them up to $37,420,600. So, if they lose Handzus's $2.1M, bringing them down to $35,320,600, then take on Smyth's $4M that would bring them up to $39,320,600. I think the cap is at $39.5M, so that gives them BARELY just enough wiggle room IF they have those four I mentioned at league minimum.

Of course, they could avoid all that hoopla just by dumping another player or two--they wouldn't even have to be signficant ones--but bah humbug I don't believe it anyways.

That 34... is for 17 players.

Carter and Richards are probably both at the rookie max, so another 1.7 takes it to 35.82 for 19 players (12F/6D/1G)

Jamie Storr is signed probably around 750k.

36.57 for 20 players (12-6-2)

Say Radivojevic, Sharp, and Seidenberg are signed at the minimum. That's 1.35m more.

37.92m for 23 players (14-7-2)

It's unlikely the Flyers or anyone else with a mid-high 30s payroll will carry 23. So drop a forward--any of the minimum wagers.

37.47m for 22 players (13-7-2)

The salary cap is 39m, not 39.5m

So the Flyers would have 1.53 left to add in payroll.

Swap Handzus for Smyth, and they could pay Smyth as much as 3.658.

To get to that 4m number, they'd have to toss someone else in. They would need clearance of 0.342 to add to Smyth, plus 450k to replace the second player on the roster. So a minimum salary for the throw-in of 792k.

There is only one player I see who would suit the purpose.

Turner Stevenson. He makes 1.254m. The lower paid players than him above the threshold are Esche and Pitkanen (untouchable) and the higher paid ones are Forsberg, Rathje, Hatcher, Primeau, Desjardins, Johnsson, Handzus, Gagne, Brashear, Knuble, Kapanen. Forsberg and Gagne are untouchable, Primeau probably as well. Clarke will likely not deal any of his top four D here either.

Which leaves us with Handzus plus Brashear, Knuble, Kapanen, or Stevenson. The Flyers are trying to add a scoring winger, so dealing one off wouldn't make sense. Knuble and Kapanen off the list.

Brashear and Stevenson are left.

Stevenson is cheaper and likely more expendable. Oilers would probably be happy enough getting him along with Handzus. If not, Clarke would probably be willing to send Brashear along instead because he'd get Smyth back, and the Flyers would have 1.416 in cap space left.