• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE (eva unit zero @ September 13, 2005 - 12:15AM)
Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Holmstrom--"Eurotwins" plus Homer for some grit and grinding.

Hudler/Lang/Shanahan--Hudler's skill can shine through because he's playing with two big strong guys who can score. Too concerned about Lang, teams can't sit a goon on Hudler.

Filppula/Yzerman/Williams--Three skill guys, nothing too gritty, but they won't be facing great defense as they're the third line. Could be reponsible for a lot of timely scores.

Maltby/Draper/Franzen--Grind line with a Swedish touch...Franzen is a perfect fit.

I like the way you think! Homstrom with the twins is a great idea, but alas, it doesn't look good for Datsyuk: http://www.rushockey...terviews&id=323

I'm interested in your lineups without Datsyuk! Come on, lets see what you got! biggrin.gif

#42 J-Swift

J-Swift

Clutch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (8888 @ September 16, 2005 - 07:21PM)
The wings should never play their rookies they should always play old washed up men. Thats why 29 other NHL teams beat us they just pound away because we don't have fast rookies on our roster. Babcock loves playing young guys because the ducks don't sign old washed up forwards i'm sorry they just don't. Filpulla should get a spot just for what he has done. Hank was great we let him have a change and Dats was great we let him play too. I don't think the whole team should be made up of rookies but you have to reward those players who perform well and he has done wonderful.

Twenty-nine other teams beat the Wings. Really? Every other team constantly beats the reigning President's trophy winners, and quite easily the best team over the past ten years? Besides that akward comment, the obvious thing wrong with Detroit is not age (they were, by a fair margin, the oldest team in the league when they won the Cup in '02); Detroit's problem is grit.

I noticed you are comparing Babcock's Ducks to the Wings. Yes, you're right; Anaheim does not sign many elderly, veteran forwards. And what do they have to show for it? One Cinderella playoff run in which they rode a hot goalie, and a follow-up year in which they failed to so much as qualify for the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as excited about Filppula as everyone else is, but despite what Zetterberg and Datsyuk have done, I'm not a big fan of taking a prospect straight out of a European league and sticking him into the NHL, while allowing them no time to develop a feel for the North American game. That strategy didn't exactly work wonders for Jiri Hudler. I would've been happy to start Fillppula in the AHL and have him as the top call-up for Detroit. However, with Datsyuk looking more and more like he will stay in Russia, I realize that Valtteri is likely to get his first real taste of North American hockey with the Wings. This is something I'm not impressed with.

#43 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:39 PM

Man J-Swift, you are super patient long term thinking person! I am in awe of you! biggrin.gif

#44 J-Swift

J-Swift

Clutch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (MrKnowItAll @ September 16, 2005 - 08:39PM)
Man J-Swift, you are super patient long term thinking person! I am in awe of you! biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif I wouldn't exactly call myself patient when it comes to the Wings. My mindset is primarily on this season, while ensuring that solid prospects are being developed in GR.

#45 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:52 PM

Sure you are! You are thinking long term - sign of a true fan!

#46 J-Swift

J-Swift

Clutch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (MrKnowItAll @ September 16, 2005 - 08:52PM)
Sure you are! You are thinking long term - sign of a true fan!

Well, I guess the mindset of a hockey fan has to change with the new CBA. I think the league will wind up more like the NFL, with teams rising up and down in the standings from year to year. Those who gamble for immediate success will almost certainly be met with a major dropoff in team performance in the future.

As for Filppula, my concern for him is the fact that we may have another good point-getting centre with solid two-way abilities (like Zetterberg) coming out of Europe, and by forcing him into the lineup, we are sorta' stunting his development. Personally, I feel Valtteri can probably start this season in the NHL, and play quite well and contribute to the team. But I think he could be even better if he got some time in the AHL to build up confidence and an understading to the game on this side of the Atlantic. With his solid camp, though, I realize it would be hard to cut him, considering the kind of heart and competitiveness he seems to have.

Certainly, more emphasis on the draft is likely to come in the next couple of years, as it's an easy way for teams to grab cheap talent. Let's hope the days of the Wings throwing away their top picks are over.

#47 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (MrKnowItAll @ September 16, 2005 - 08:15PM)
QUOTE (eva unit zero @ September 13, 2005 - 12:15AM)
Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Holmstrom--"Eurotwins" plus Homer for some grit and grinding.

Hudler/Lang/Shanahan--Hudler's skill can shine through because he's playing with two big strong guys who can score. Too concerned about Lang, teams can't sit a goon on Hudler.

Filppula/Yzerman/Williams--Three skill guys, nothing too gritty, but they won't be facing great defense as they're the third line. Could be reponsible for a lot of timely scores.

Maltby/Draper/Franzen--Grind line with a Swedish touch...Franzen is a perfect fit.

I like the way you think! Homstrom with the twins is a great idea, but alas, it doesn't look good for Datsyuk: http://www.rushockey...terviews&id=323

I'm interested in your lineups without Datsyuk! Come on, lets see what you got! biggrin.gif

My most recent lineup is looking something like this:

Holmstrom/Lang/Yzerman
Filppula/Zetterberg/Shanahan
Maltby/Draper/Williams
Lacouture/Franzen/Cleary
Mowers

Holmstrom/Lang/Yzerman--This line provided just about all our offense in the last couple games of the Nashville series, great chemistry.

Filppula/Zetterberg/Shanahan--Shanny gets a kick in the ass from Babcock, and his power and shot is put with two skilled two-way Scandinavians.

Maltby/Draper/Williams--Williams is a great energy player, a bit more natural offensive talent than Draper or Maltby, especially his shot. His addition to this line will allow this line to capitalize on many more of the chances they create.

Lacouture/Franzen/Cleary--Three solid two-way players with grit. All three have offensive capability if they get a chance or are needed to play on a higher line.

One advantage the Wings have over other teams?
Lang, Yzerman, Zetterberg, Shanahan, Draper, Williams, Lacouture, Franzen, Cleary, Mowers all can and have played all three forward positions. Filppula, Maltby, Holmstrom all can play two--Filppula has never played the right side but he has played center and left, Maltby and Homer play both wings. Most teams do not have that many easily convertible forwards.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#48 Cruiser008

Cruiser008

Headed to the Rafters

• Silver Booster
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (J-Swift @ September 16, 2005 - 09:43PM)
Well, I guess the mindset of a hockey fan has to change with the new CBA. I think the league will wind up more like the NFL, with teams rising up and down in the standings from year to year. Those who gamble for immediate success will almost certainly be met with a major dropoff in team performance in the future.

As for Filppula, my concern for him is the fact that we may have another good point-getting centre with solid two-way abilities (like Zetterberg) coming out of Europe, and by forcing him into the lineup, we are sorta' stunting his development. Personally, I feel Valtteri can probably start this season in the NHL, and play quite well and contribute to the team. But I think he could be even better if he got some time in the AHL to build up confidence and an understading to the game on this side of the Atlantic. With his solid camp, though, I realize it would be hard to cut him, considering the kind of heart and competitiveness he seems to have.

Certainly, more emphasis on the draft is likely to come in the next couple of years, as it's an easy way for teams to grab cheap talent. Let's hope the days of the Wings throwing away their top picks are over.

I would like to see Filppula play maybe 10-20 games with the big club as a form of motivation, but yeah your arguments are pretty solid.

Also this has nothing to do with your post but....

Filppula > Hudler.... something I've long suspected from watching the World Juniors back in the day. Hudler was always more talented, but it was Filppula who steped up in the big games.

Edited by Cruiser008, 16 September 2005 - 09:38 PM.

#49 TNBT

TNBT

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE (Cruiser008 @ September 16, 2005 - 10:36PM)

I would like to see Filppula play maybe 10-20 games with the big club as a form of motivation, but yeah your arguments are pretty solid.

Filppula > Hudler.... something I've long suspected from watching the World Juniors back in the day. Hudler was always more talented, but it was Filppula who steped up in the big games.

I'm a huge fan of Filppula. I like Hudler as well, but I just can't see him becoming more important to the Wings than Filppula.

Hudler has all the skill in the world, but he is just so small. If he was really quick, similar to Martin St. Louis, then he would probably be OK, but Hudler's other problem is that he isn't really that quick. He's that small that he will cop a heap of physical punishment, and he's not fast enough to get away from it.

Filppula is a bit bigger, and he has a lot more speed. He also is a solid two-way player, whereas Hudler is almost a purely offense-only guy. In a couple of years, Filppula is going to be a key part of our nucleus for the future.

I was just curious if anyone knows what number Filppula will be wearing with the Griffins/Wings this season?

#50 TNBT

TNBT

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 05:49 AM

QUOTE (TNBT @ September 22, 2005 - 08:02AM)
I was just curious if anyone knows what number Filppula will be wearing with the Griffins/Wings this season?

Bump.

#51 Satrebil

Satrebil

Satrebil

• PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (TNBT @ September 22, 2005 - 08:02AM)
QUOTE (Cruiser008 @ September 16, 2005 - 10:36PM)

I'm a huge fan of Filppula. I like Hudler as well, but I just can't see him becoming more important to the Wings than Filppula.

Hudler has all the skill in the world, but he is just so small. If he was really quick, similar to Martin St. Louis, then he would probably be OK, but Hudler's other problem is that he isn't really that quick. He's that small that he will cop a heap of physical punishment, and he's not fast enough to get away from it.

Filppula is a bit bigger, and he has a lot more speed. He also is a solid two-way player, whereas Hudler is almost a purely offense-only guy. In a couple of years, Filppula is going to be a key part of our nucleus for the future.

Indeed, Hudler's lack of both speed and acceleration (for a NHL player of his stature) is a huge drawback. If a small NHL player makes it, it is because of his speed and acceleration, second to none.

Edited by Satrebil, 28 September 2005 - 12:25 PM.

#52 TNBT

TNBT

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:04 AM

So, no one has any idea what number he wears?

There was a picture of him on the Wings site, but you could only see a little bit of his arm. I need to know so I can get my Wings jersey personalized...

#53 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:06 AM

QUOTE (TNBT @ October 4, 2005 - 02:04AM)

There was a picture of him on the Wings site, but you could only see a little bit of his arm.  I need to know so I can get my Wings jersey personalized...

I'd hold off on that if I were you. When Datsyuk first came over he had a number in the 50's (all the rookies and tryouts are just given numbers) before he established himself with the team and picked out a number.

I'm not sure if Valtteri has locked himself into a number with the Wings just yet.

peace

EDIT - you would have looked as silly as Pavel does wearing this jersey.
user posted image

Edited by norrisnick, 04 October 2005 - 02:11 AM.

Posted Image

#54 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE (TNBT @ October 4, 2005 - 03:04AM)

There was a picture of him on the Wings site, but you could only see a little bit of his arm. I need to know so I can get my Wings jersey personalized...

He wore 52 in preseason...but he's obviously not on the final roster.

So ultimately, Filppula does not wear any number with the Red Wings.

On the subject of tryout numbers:

Mathieu Dandenault wore 65 in preseason his first year with Detroit, before switching to 11 for the regular season after he made the roster.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#55 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:15 AM

He apparently wears #15 for the Griffins and if that remains empty when he finally breaks in with the Wings that may (heavy emphasis on MAY) be his number.

peace

Posted Image

#56 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:00 AM

NN, when was that photo taken of Datsyuk?

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#57 TNBT

TNBT

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

I noticed that some of the tryouts were wearing numbers in the 70's and stuff like that, but I thought that seeing as how Filppula was Wings property (unlike the other tryouts who were free agents), then he may have been given a permenant number when he came over to America.

I will have to wait until next season when he breaks into the team on a full-time basis.

#58 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE (TNBT @ October 4, 2005 - 07:25AM)
I will have to wait until next season when he breaks into the team on a full-time basis.

Shouldn't have to.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#59 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (Aussie_Wing @ October 4, 2005 - 03:00AM)
NN, when was that photo taken of Datsyuk?

A preseason game in September of 2001.

peace

Posted Image

#60 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (norrisnick @ October 4, 2005 - 11:56AM)
A preseason game in September of 2001.

peace

Cheers.