• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SwedeLundin77

Rumor: Holland talking to NJD about Gionta

Rate this topic

Rumor is, since Carter is now off the market, that Holland has decided to turn his sights to Gionta. From what I heard Lam wants a bluechip prospect (forward) and a pick (probably 1st or 2nd rd). Don't shoot the messanger by the way, this is something I heard from Code, a supposed insider, so just like an Eklund rumor or any other rumor, I decided to share it no matter if it may be valid or not, because it is interesting.

Personally I like this idea, Gionta may not be a big guy, but he is definately a pesky guy on the ice. And he did score 48 goals last season too. And he is a right winger. And he is still relatively young (27). I'd say if we could get him for a prospect and 1st round pick, we'd be stupid not to do it. Would Hudler count?

Year GP G A Pts +/- PIM Shots Sh% GWG GTG SHG SHA PPG PPA

Season Totals: 2005-06 82 48 41 89 +18 46 291 16.49 10 0 1 0 24 10

Assets: Has excellent speed and acceleration. Plays with loads of feistiness and energy. Shows better-than-average offensive upside and two-way ability.

Flaws: Must continue to adapt to the pro game and get physically stronger. Needs to avoid big hits at center ice.

Career potential Top six winger.

Not interested. I'd rather keep the pick than trade for another small forward.

Gionta isn't your typical small foward, and besides there aren't any 6'2' 220lb 50 goal scorers out there.

If we got him for a 1st it'd be a steal.

Gionta isn't your typical small foward, and besides there aren't any 6'2' 220lb 50 goal scorers out there.

If we got him for a 1st it'd be a steal.

Makes no difference in my opinion, the Red Wings doesn't need to get any smaller. Then let's trade for a 6'2" 220 lb 20 goalscorer. Any of those around? :rolleyes: Detroit will manage without Giontas 40+ goals.

Which is exactly why it won't happen. It would cost more. I simply stated I'm not willing to part with another 1st pick.

The thing is RB! is that there arent any other scoring wingers out there in that size range that could be had for a pick and prospect..Lou is in cap trouble, he's got about 10 days to get under the cap. There isn't another GM out there with that type of winger available..if the rumor holds true that is..

Anybody else who would potentailly be available is going to cost Kenny a roster player..and the two players who the GMs ask for first? Hank and Dats. And Kenny isn't going to let them go.. Lang isn't going to be a centerpiece in a trade and neither is Williams..

The thing is RB! is that there arent any other scoring wingers out there in that size range that could be had for a pick and prospect..Lou is in cap trouble, he's got about 10 days to get under the cap. There isn't another GM out there with that type of winger available..if the rumor holds true that is..

Anybody else who would potentailly be available is going to cost Kenny a roster player..and the two players who the GMs ask for first? Hank and Dats. And Kenny isn't going to let them go.. Lang isn't going to be a centerpiece in a trade and neither is Williams..

I'm saying we can do without for now. Goals is not a problem during the regular season.

RB!, you're allergic to even the mention of any forward who doesn't meet the size and grit club's requirements. How many times have your club members seen Gionta play? If acquired, immediately Gionta would be the best puck carrier to the net along side Zetterberg. Yeah he's tiny but he's willing to pay the price to score a goal. Next to a center like Zetterberg he'd have no trouble re-creating his points total from last season. He's fast, he's shifty and yes, he's gritty. He's a net crashing speedy winger we have plenty of use for.

i saw gionta take a run at chara last year near the end of the season, This kid is balls out insane when it comes to his size he's a warrior, something this club lacks. besides you think a guy like that will be reserved to taking permiter shots during playoff time?

Yzerman was never the biggest. It's about heart and willing to pay the price. Grit and size arent the same thing. The Wings need both. They also need speed on the wing and a legit scorer. As far as I'm concerned, Gionta addresses all of the above except size.

If we had the chance to get Gionta on this roster by giving up a bluechip forward prospect and a 1st rounder, we'd be completely IDIOTIC not to do so. Plain and simple, there isn't anything else to it, you can ***** and moan about how he is tiny and all that, but let's face it, the guy is all balls, and will do what he has to, to score. And at the same time if you think about it, we could have either Gionta manning a RW on one of the top 2 lines, or Hudler, gee, looks like we should keep Hudler I guess... :rolleyes::yowza:

passing up on gionta if we actually have a legitimate shot at adding him to the roster, well that would be like pulling a ken holland. doh!

here's hoping holland doesn't replicate his recent track record.

gionta reminds me a lot of verbeek... a great player to have on your club, regardless of size... he demands more of his teammates as well... and we definitely need more of that.

RB!, you're allergic to even the mention of any forward who doesn't meet the size and grit club's requirements. How many times have your club members seen Gionta play? If acquired, immediately Gionta would be the best puck carrier to the net along side Zetterberg. Yeah he's tiny but he's willing to pay the price to score a goal. Next to a center like Zetterberg he'd have no trouble re-creating his points total from last season. He's fast, he's shifty and yes, he's gritty. He's a net crashing speedy winger we have plenty of use for.

I get to see the Devils play on a regular basis. Gionta might have worked if Detroit had a couple of big bodies up front, but we don't. I see absolutely no reason for Detroit to get even smaller. Not even goals. Detroit will be pushed around as usual next season, and not winnning the Presidents' Trophy is the last thing on my mind.

Trading for Gionta ONLY makes sense if Hudler isn't going to make the team.

Hudler's value is still high right now, if he's traded it means he wasn't good enough to make the cut.

So Hudler+1st for Gionta would essentially be a 1st for Gionta. Plug Gionta, a speedy, gritty, scoring winger into the spot next to Zetterberg that Hudler might have occupied. Right now, that makes us a better team. Five years down the road, if Hudler were to realize his potential, perhaps not. But if Hudler shows signs he might realize his potential, he won't be dealt, not yet anyway. At least not for just Gionta.

I get to see the Devils play on a regular basis. Gionta might have worked if Detroit had a couple of big bodies up front, but we don't. I see absolutely no reason for Detroit to get even smaller. Not even goals. Detroit will be pushed around as usual next season, and not winnning the Presidents' Trophy is the last thing on my mind.

Sammy can be the big body on the first line, Franzen on the second. Hudler is basically going to play at the spot Gionta could occupy. Gionta has played with Gomez plenty, they've always found a way to score goals, no matter how big the opponent. Size isn't everything, these small guys have guile and speed, something we lack. Oh yeah, Gionta also has plenty of grit and doesn't get pushed around.

Screw the Presidents Trophy, we're not talking about that.