• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mighty Wings

Puck Possesion style

Rate this topic

After the game on sunday night, Babcock was asked about the giordano/zetterberg ordeal and he said, that puck possesion is what they're about and they want to dictate that style of play against their opponents. Later Paul Woods had similar thoughts stating that they should continue to keep doing that has helped them get to where they are.

When I heard em both, it seemed to me like they don't need (mind not getting) a "martin lapointe" type of player at the deadline. Although, ulitimately it is upto holland and co. to decide whether or not they need that kind of player. Lately, We've heard that holland is looking for just a scoring winger.

The last couple games obviously with Macdonald in net, and lilja out, its not the best time to make a judgement. However, with hasek in net, and markov back in the lineup, in addition to holland's scoring winger that he'd like to acquire (assuming thats his plan at the moment), will the puck posession style + these components, enusre more success in the playoffs than the last few seasons?

I don't think they should voluntarily go away from the puck possession style. My complaint is that when the time comes that a team takes that away from them - which happens, especially in the playoffs - they have no backup plan. The best teams are versatile. They'll hurt you with special teams, they can skate and make plays, and they can grind it out when the have to. The grind it out part is what the Red Wings have no answer for. But to play a dump and chase type game, you need tough, physical forwards. This roster is lacking that, so it's not so easy to do.

I don't think they should voluntarily go away from the puck possession style. My complaint is that when the time comes that a team takes that away from them - which happens, especially in the playoffs - they have no backup plan. The best teams are versatile. They'll hurt you with special teams, they can skate and make plays, and they can grind it out when the have to. The grind it out part is what the Red Wings have no answer for. But to play a dump and chase type game, you need tough, physical forwards. This roster is lacking that, so it's not so easy to do.

I agree 100% with that

Guest Crymson

I think that the style works for the most part--as our records reflects--but that, in circumstances in which it is not working, it must be relaxed.

Flip Saunders has been criticized for rigidity in style as well.

I think that the style works for the most part--as our records reflects--but that, in circumstances in which it is not working, it must be relaxed.

Flip Saunders has been criticized for rigidity in style as well.

Puck possession was instituted back with the Russian Five. That team was suited for that style,and continued to win.Styles have changed since then,especially in the playoffs,and we have not be able to adapt,hence the early exits.

Puck possession requires greater skill,and it sure is pretty to watch when it works,but teams in the playoffs seem to be able to disrupt our flow,frustrate us and eventually beat us.

The Wings are too predictable and one dimensional right now, they need a few bangers on this team. Remember when they won their Cups they were able to excel at any style of play. It was literally "pick your poison" where the Wings could beat you with any style of play

Great point Barnesy. The lack of adaptability is what kills this team. They are good enough to finish in first place in the regular season playing the same style game in, game out. They never have to change their game plan. But when they get up against an aggressive, physical team, a tight defense and good goaltending (Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton), they don't know what to do. Remember the series with Anaheim, they just kept shooting and shooting from the same places--high slot, along the boards--and NEVER ONCE made Giguere move. No wonder the guy stopped 60 shots, he saw every one. And nothing has changed in a playoff series since then. Detroit just keeps rolling and rolling, even though they can see the edge of the cliff approaching.

As for this year's edition, other than in net, I don't see where they are any better than any of the last 3 teams. And since Hasek can't put the puck in the net, I don't see them going very far this year either. Especially if Hasek gets hurt.

I think they need to start working on playing against the trap. You know we're gonna see it in round one against whoever.

If I see another series of us getting trapped and dumping the puck in for 60 min and basically doing nothing with it, I'm gonna FU***NG scream!!!!!

Hello MIKE BABCOCK, do you hear me!!!???? start teaching these guys this s*** now, so they don't look at you like they're lost later