• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

drsingle

The Shadow of the Winged Wheel

Rate this topic

once again, it's funny how many of you will get so worked up and argue until you're blue in the face that it's not a rivalry. If there's nothing there, then there wouldn't be anything to argue about would there? I don't see this type of discussion about any other team in the league.

But no... there's no rivalry :rolleyes:

once again, it's funny how many of you will get so worked up and argue until you're blue in the face that it's not a rivalry. If there's nothing there, then there wouldn't be anything to argue about would there? I don't see this type of discussion about any other team in the league.

In fairness, in this case, they are responding to a post started by a Preds fan.

That said, they are not always arguing with you, I, or some other Preds fan either.

David

You know what the problem here is? It's the way some posters here treat Preds fans and their organization as a whole. They simply dismiss them as the little brother that isn't good enough to be mentioned in the same sentence as the all-mighty Detroit. It's extremely arrogant.

I agree that I don't feel the rivalry towards Nashville that it seems the Preds fans feel towards the Wings, but I won't sit here and make comments such as "just another team who likes to think they're as good as us" or "i guess that Predsnation website is a good example of the Preds...good for a while but fails in the end". It's comments like these that give Red Wings fans a bad reputation as having a superiority complex. God forbid, the Preds are actually tied for points with the almighty Detroit Red Wings! God forbid the Preds have led the division for the good majority of the season! God forbid the Preds actually have a legit shot of winning their first divisional (and conference) title this year!

That being said, this already has turned into a good standings rivalry, and could possibly turn into a true all-around rivalry if the Wings meet up with the Preds in the playoffs, which could happen in round 2. Just because people don't view the Preds as a Colorado type rivalry, doesn't mean there is no rivalry whatsoever.

The Wings are a great team, and if you ask most of the Preds fans, they'll give the Wings the respect they deserve. Isn't it time we give some back? :sly:

hey, don't get me wrong. The Preds are a damn good team, and i throughly dislike them....i'd love to have a true Colorado type rilvary with them, but these thing either develop over a long period, or with a single incident. Neither of which have happened as yet. I just don't consider them a rival, a contender yes, but not a rival.

Predators fans like to think of it as a rilvary because they have no one in their geological location, i believe the closest city is St Louis, or maybe Atlanta. They don't even play Atlanta this season, and St Louis have either been too good for them, or too bad...hence the lack of rilvary. So their only look at a rival has been a team that they've aspired to beat since their inception. They'res absolutely nothing wrong with this, through i'd much rather play Toronto, Buffalo, Colorado, Chicago etc. I don't think you can expect us to forget almost 80 years of tradition, bitterness and titanic struggle and accept a divisional rival against a "new" team that is only a few years old. Now i'd love to have a 5 season fitgh with Nashville the way that we did with Colorado, but with the way the league is with the lack of fighting and the movement of players, rentals etc i just don't see this being more than a divisional matchup, unless they'res a major sparkplug in the playoffs

hey, don't get me wrong. The Preds are a damn good team, and i throughly dislike them....i'd love to have a true Colorado type rilvary with them, but these thing either develop over a long period, or with a single incident. Neither of which have happened as yet. I just don't consider them a rival, a contender yes, but not a rival.

Predators fans like to think of it as a rilvary because they have no one in their geological location, i believe the closest city is St Louis, or maybe Atlanta. They don't even play Atlanta this season, and St Louis have either been too good for them, or too bad...hence the lack of rilvary. So their only look at a rival has been a team that they've aspired to beat since their inception. They'res absolutely nothing wrong with this, through i'd much rather play Toronto, Buffalo, Colorado, Chicago etc. I don't think you can expect us to forget almost 80 years of tradition, bitterness and titanic struggle and accept a divisional rival against a "new" team that is only a few years old. Now i'd love to have a 5 season fitgh with Nashville the way that we did with Colorado, but with the way the league is with the lack of fighting and the movement of players, rentals etc i just don't see this being more than a divisional matchup, unless they'res a major sparkplug in the playoffs

Again, hence why I called it a standings rivalry. Of course Nashville isn't near where Toronto, Chicago or Colorado has been in the past. However, tell me one time where a Preds fan has compared the Wings/Preds to any of those other rivals?

The point is, some of the statements in your previous post came off very arrogant. The above past post was written much better, IMO. While the Preds may view the Wings as a huge rival simply because of their short time in the NHL, the Wings have had much more time to achieve bitter rivals. So why do we need to knock them back down every time they post about how they feel their rivalry towards the Wings is growing? For the Preds fans, it is growing, and its an exciting time for them. Just because a good amount of Wings fans don't feel the same way towards the Preds, doesn't mean they need to be belittled as well.

Guest LivingtheDream

Instead of "rival" Nashville really is a "contender." That's a bit different. They are trying to succeed and in order to do that, they have to get through the Wings. No other way around it. That's exciting enough for both teams and their fans all this "rivalry" propoganda is fluff.

P.S. Speaking of rivalries, seems like Buffalo and The Sens started a real one last night! :-)

Edited by LivingtheDream

About the closest this has gotten to being a real rivalry so far was when Jiri Fischer knocked Scott Hartnell's ***** ass down in one punch, then pulled him up and gave him two more for good measure.

Really, its our fault this isnt a physical rivalry, Nashville has the players in place to play a rivalry style game, we obviously dont.

It's a rivalry, but only one way. Until the predators come out and wash detroit out of the playoff a time or two, the wings just aren't going to view the predators in the same light as our rivals of old.

Now that being said, because of the standings issue, and the fact that you guys have had an increasingly good team over the past few years, I have been finding myself getting more and more up for wing/pred games. And having fans getting excited over the games, seeing them as something different, is definately the first step towards a true rivalry.

I'm looking forward to the possible match up between us in the playoffs this year.

Guest Tunbo Batman

so tired of these words....

"is it a rivalry?"

"is Detroit a dynasty?"

boring.

Guest ZetterBurger40

I think if there were ever something to create a true rivalry between these two teams, the Floppa trade could be it

According to your logic, then 29 other teams are our rival. :yowza:

A lot of people have mixed opinions if this really is a rivalry.

Lets just ask this then - when the Predators and Wings play - does the game feel different? Does the game feel more or less important?

It does! This is a divisional rivalry, and of course it's not the same unique rivalry that we once had against the Avalanche.

Edited by aflac9262

sorry but since when did we become so nice?!

f*** the preds. i want the presidents trophy. i want first place and i want the predators bawling like sissies at center ice.

Written like a true adolescent.

This is a rivalry, created or not. These two teams will be battling each other for domination for years to come, just like the Wings and Leafs in the '40s and '50s. I don't like the Predators, but mostly because of the cherry pickers on the team and, to be honest, the vast majority of their fans (including their on-air personalities) come off as redneck yokels. It's hard for me to respect a team that is so proud of being hayseed.

sorry but since when did we become so nice?!

f*** the preds. i want the presidents trophy. i want first place and i want the predators bawling like sissies at center ice.

i'd like the presidents trophy because lets be honest, it's the only trophy were going to win.

were either going to be #1 seed or #4 seed. #1 seed we get Edmonton, Minnesota, Calgary or Vancouver...NO THANKS...i think we only really stand a chance against Minnesota there.

#4 seed and we get either Anaheim (lose), San Jose (swept) or Dallas (maybe)...

either way were screwed...we're the easiest team to beat in the top 9 in the west.