• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
StaticWithABeat

G Joey MacDonald placed on waivers

Rate this topic

From TSN's Ice Chips:

Dominik Hasek will start in goal Friday against the Oilers, while Chris Osgood will start Saturday against the Predators.

Joey McDonald has been placed on waivers. - Detroit Free Press

It was inevitable...he clearly didn't have a long-term place with the team and you can only carry 3 goalies on the roster for so long before it becomes cumbersome. Even if he clears, his time with the Wings is probably at an end.

Guest Crymson

From TSN's Ice Chips:

It was inevitable...he clearly didn't have a long-term place with the team and you can only carry 3 goalies on the roster for so long before it becomes cumbersome. Even if he clears, his time with the Wings is probably at an end.

I'll be damned. Good luck, Joey.

Guest Crymson

On a sidenote, I can't believe Dom is starting tonight, in lieu of tommorrow.

Better not let HC see that comment.

Keep in mind that Babcock is not insane.

Edited by Crymson

From TSN's Ice Chips:

If tonight's game wasn't so important I would like to see him start one last time. He deserves better than the fate he received...

Now I don't expect to see him as a #1 in the near future, but he needs more than just a little redemption against the Oilers. I just wanted to smack the living hades out of Raffe Torres for that lame head-bob crap that he displayed during the shoot-out. God, how I wanted Joey to stonewall that idiot for grandstanding like that.

[PS I do want to see Torres in a Wings jersey some day, but that little chicken-head move was just soooo annoying...]

According to Ek - The reason that Joey on waivers because Detroit is up to something...

There are some very strong indications that Tkachuk may be a Wing soon. (or is it Guerin) <_<

According to Ek - The reason that Joey on waivers because Detroit is up to something...

There are some very strong indications that Tkachuk may be a Wing soon. (or is it Guerin) <_<

Nevermind... brain fart.

Edited by GoCryWolfe

This seems to be the primer for sure.

When Joey clears waviers it will be Saturday night.

We will have the games done and nothing but time before the deadline.

This is going to be either explosive, or very anticlimatic.

Taking all bets.

Oh and one more thing, if Liv is on the block like some have suggested. This could actually be in order to drop Joey back to the Rapids if we move Liv.

Edited by Majsheppard

Wings may be up to something, but putting Mac on waivers is not even related.

The Wings, now with 4 healthy goalies on the big roster, have to send one down; turns out they are keeping Dom, Ozzie, and Jimmy.

You are wrong! Mac's sallary was counted against salary cap and Jimmy's not. Mac was 3rd goalie in the roster.

Wings may be up to something, but putting Mac on waivers is not even related.

The Wings, now with 4 healthy goalies on the big roster, have to send one down; turns out they are keeping Dom, Ozzie, and Jimmy.

Yeah I was just about to ask how Joey being placed on waivers has anything to do with what could be going on with trades..

You are wrong! Mac's sallary was counted against salary cap and Jimmy's not. Mac was 3rd goalie in the roster.

Hmmmm. How much was Joey making? I still don't think it has much to do with a trade. Since the beginning of the season they've said they'd have three goalies just in case because of Dom but later on they'd let Joey go. Well now is later.

Hmmmm. How much was Joey making? I still don't think it has much to do with a trade. Since the beginning of the season they've said they'd have three goalies just in case because of Dom but later on they'd let Joey go. Well now is later.

He is making not much in cap space, but this is also roster spot clearence

from mlive

It appears the Wings are clearing up some salary cap space, or perhaps a roster spot, for a move or two before Tuesday's trading deadline. Even though MacDonald doesn't make much, the Wings would be right up against the cap if they acquired a $5 million-plus player like Keith Tkachuk or Todd Bertuzzi without clearing a little space.

The timing is odd because you'd figure they'd want MacDonald to back-up Chris Osgood Saturday in Nashville instead of bringing Dominik Hasek along on the trip. MacDonald might still be around. If he clears waivers, the team doesn't have to send him down right away, or even at all.

Bill Guerin or Tkachuk of the Blues still appears to be at the top of their wish list. Florida's Bertuzzi, who had back surgery in November, might not play before Tuesday, which might kill any potential trade possibilty

Proof once again that God is, in fact, a Red Wings fan.

Like other posters have said above me, it's not a salary move - he didn't make enough money to really be saving much of anything at this point in the season... it's the wasted roster spot that he's filled all season long. This way, if we acquire a player for a draft pick or a prospect, NO ONE on the current roster needs to be sent down (read: Flip, because Hudler would have to be waived).

I've been one of the loudest opponents to Joey MacDonald lately, but he clearly did not fit in on an NHL roster - especially this one. I wish him the best of luck, health, and success wherever he can find it, but the time has come to move on and have a Detroit Red Wing fill that roster spot.

Edited by JeeSpot82