• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Louisville

Wayne Gretzky vs. Bobby Orr

Rate this topic

okay i'm really truely finished arguing this with you as there's really no point, parting shot,...

number 4 is worn by several people around the league, so is number 9 for better or worse

how many people have 99 on there backs?

Retiring 99 was about the publicity.

Edited by bogeygolfer

To me that really doesn't make a difference anyway....just another person's opinion. He barely played against Orr and played even less against Gretzky.

just another person's opinion??? are you kidding me?

it's Gordie freakin' Howe's opinion, that's who's. Have you ever skated a shift in the NHL?

I've said it tons of times but never on this site. There is no GREATEST HOCKEY PLAYER flat-out.

Here's how I rate them.

Gretzky- Greatest offensive player

Orr- Greatest offensive defenseman

Howe- Best all-around offensive player

Lidstrom- Best defensive defenseman

Bourque- best all-around defenseman

Roy- Best positional goalie

Sawchuk- Best all-around goalie

Hasek- Best unorthodox goalie

EDIT:

Brodeur- Best reflexive goalie

Brodeur has good reflexes, but his are far fro mthe best. He plays a hybrid style and his game is primarily about being in the right position.

I have always felt John Vanbiesbrouck and Kirk McLean had the fastest reflexes I've ever seen in a goalie.

Yeah OKAAAAY :rolleyes:

Seven consecutive victories in the world hardest cycling race is not dominating a sport? What do you think cyclists do all year after the Tour de France? Sit around and eat Cheetos?

Not only that but in 1996 Lance underwent brain and testicular surgery, and extensive chemotherapy to treat the testicular cancer that had metastasized to his brain and lungs. But he still game back and trained harder than ever to win again.

Please place the crack pipe down before you decide to post, thanks.

Did I say he didn't dominate the Tour de France? Didn't think so.

However, the professional race calendar runs from early February to late October. Some riders are competitive throughout the season. Lance chose a different path post-cancer where he spent most of season training for the Tour while riding a few races without any real interest of winning them. The Amstel Gold Race in the Netherlands was one of the few races where Armstrong consistently tried to win.

teh reason i dismise gretz after the oilers run is because what did he do besides taking the kings to there only finals appearance in 93?

How about winning 3 scoring titles? May not sound like much, but there are only 5 other guys in the history of the game (I think) that have been able to win more than 3 throughout their entire careers.

Also, Gretzky played from 1991 on with a wonky back, that had more to do with decline than playing for a different team than the Oilers.

Gretzky has a lot of crazy records, but to me, the most interesting one of all is assists. There are only 3 guys in the history of the game to ever have more than 100 assists in a season. Bobby Orr did in once (102), Mario did it once (114) and Gretzky did it 11 times!!! (highest - 163). And 3 of those seasons were post-Edmonton. It was 11 in a row actually. Would have been 12 if he played a full season, he had 90 in 74 games the next year. That stat is just unbelievable to me.

Edited by toby91_ca

How about winning 3 scoring titles? May not sound like much, but there are only 5 other guys in the history of the game (I think) that have been able to win more than 3 throughout their entire careers.

Also, Gretzky played from 1991 on with a wonky back, that had more to do with decline than playing for a different team than the Oilers.

Gretzky has a lot of crazy records, but to me, the most interesting one of all is assists. There are only 3 guys in the history of the game to ever have more than 100 assists in a season. Bobby Orr did in once (102), Mario did it once (114) and Gretzky did it 11 times!!! (highest - 163). And 3 of those seasons were post-Edmonton. It was 11 in a row actually. Would have been 12 if he played a full season, he had 90 in 74 games the next year. That stat is just unbelievable to me.

assists get my vote for the most overrated stat for modern era hockey players. the gluttony of second assists given out nowadays never happened when Howe was playing. To me it signifies even more what a perimeter player he was, how he never could stand to get his nose dirty.

this thread is filled with people who've obviously never seen either player play,....

we've got people implying that bobby orr a shut down defensive D-man (he just controlled the puck, hard for the other team to score if he has it 90% of the game) i've watched enough game film to know he wasn't, just the most gifted skater the nhl has ever seen

and we've got other people saying Gretzky was everything from "nothing special" to a "permiter player" and the benefit of padding his stats by secondary assists,...for one,...80% at least of his assists were direct ones,..i.e. he passed it, the other guy scored, For two you take away everyone of his assists he still breaks every scoring record in the nhl accept most points. For two, permiter players don't score 20 overtime playoff game winning goals.

assists get my vote for the most overrated stat for modern era hockey players. the gluttony of second assists given out nowadays never happened when Howe was playing. To me it signifies even more what a perimeter player he was, how he never could stand to get his nose dirty.

I gotta say, this is some strange commentary. You think having massive amount of assists is an example of why he isn't better than others? You know he also has more goals than anyone else as well right?

If assists are so easy to come by nowadays, why are there not more players that have 100 assist seasons?

Edited by toby91_ca