• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

It's not Yzerman's team anymore

Rate this topic

Great read.

You could definitely feel that there wasn't as much weight on their shoulders. But that could just be because they scored within 5 minutes and dominated for three periods. :D

great article :clap: its still hard for me to accept stevie will never play again, he is ,was and will always be the captain to me :crybaby:

It's hard for all of us, I grew with Yzerman leading the team. Now that I think about it I can see all the work he did with the then youngsters Zetterberg and Datsyuk, so in my mind I know his "ghost "will stilll haunt our playoff oponents.

Reading and hearing some of the comments he's made since he retired - like, "my urge to play is gone" - I am convinced that he did the right thing for himself. As a fan, it sucks but he seems happy and somehow more relaxed, despite essentially having two jobs right now. And as a fan, I am happy for him. The last thing I'd want to hear Steve Yzerman say is, "man, I wish I had played just one more season."

Somehow it's still hard to think that this is not Stevie's team. In a way, it still is. He was captain all those years and he has had a huge impact on everyone who played with him, regardless of whether you're a veteran like Nick Lidstrom or a young kid like Brett Lebda. And with Steve having a hand in some of the trade deadline deals and the Datsyuk signing in particular, he's still influcencing the direction of the team. Plus, his responsibilities as VP will increase over time and at some point he may even become the teams' GM. Steve will be influencing the team for years to come, just not on the ice. So, in that way, it continues to be Stevie's team.

Reading and hearing some of the comments he's made since he retired - like, "my urge to play is gone" - I am convinced that he did the right thing for himself. As a fan, it sucks but he seems happy and somehow more relaxed, despite essentially having two jobs right now. And as a fan, I am happy for him. The last thing I'd want to hear Steve Yzerman say is, "man, I wish I had played just one more season."

Somehow it's still hard to think that this is not Stevie's team. In a way, it still is. He was captain all those years and he has had a huge impact on everyone who played with him, regardless of whether you're a veteran like Nick Lidstrom or a young kid like Brett Lebda. And with Steve having a hand in some of the trade deadline deals and the Datsyuk signing in particular, he's still influcencing the direction of the team. Plus, his responsibilities as VP will increase over time and at some point he may even become the teams' GM. Steve will be influencing the team for years to come, just not on the ice. So, in that way, it continues to be Stevie's team.

Even though Steve is not skating with the guys anymore, his presence is still felt within them. I was at last night's game and I looked behind me up into the boxes (suites) and there he was, watching the game. He had such an intense look on his face. It felt almost as a spiritual thing, Steve Yzerman's presence hovering over the arena and onto the ice with the guys! It was amazing!!!!!

Even though Steve is not skating with the guys anymore, his presence is still felt within them. I was at last night's game and I looked behind me up into the boxes (suites) and there he was, watching the game. He had such an intense look on his face. It felt almost as a spiritual thing, Steve Yzerman's presence hovering over the arena and onto the ice with the guys! It was amazing!!!!!

Stevie does cast a long shadow over the team and he will for a long time to come. And it's a VERY good thing!

it feels really odd for sure that this is the first playoffs the wings have had w/o stevie. if we go on to win the cup, it will feel really odd not to see #19 shaking buttman's hand... I mean bettman.

Edited by rwfan007