• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BringHomeTheCup!

What a hit by Cleary

Rate this topic

My simple thoughts. If we're gonna dish them out, we've gotta be prepared to take it. SIMPLE!!!

So as far as I'm concerned, Cleary had a great hit.

But Detroit fans, please don't complain when Phaneuf pummels him in game 4. Second to that, I thought Cleary was one of the best players on the ice in game 3.

I don't remember him playing that well before. He was a nobody in Edmonton, good for him for turning himself around.

From the wrong angle a lot of hits could look dirty. Datsyuk is positioned lower than Phaneuf and the point of contact is close to the elbow. The key is that he's got the elbow tucked when contact happens, so its clean.

Yeah the CBC guys are pretty simple. It's infuriating to watch sometimes with how many plays they completely mis-call. Plus Calgary's games are called by the worst of them because Ottawa and Vancouver are taking precedence this season.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking after seeing the replays again. I think both were probably clean now, but I can certainly see why both may seem questionable.

And good to know about the CBC announcers.

I don't remember him playing that well before. He was a nobody in Edmonton, good for him for turning himself around.

He's had a kind of a renaissance this season wearing the winged wheel. He was waaay hot early in the season and found himself on a scoring line for a while, but not he's back to his grinders role. Still, he can make a play.

MickMcGeough made a great post. Both Phaneuf and Cleary hits were solid hockey plays.

I gave you the link to look at the hit, how can you say he doesn't jump into Phaneuf?

Also check out how many strides he takes across the ice targeting Dion.

Could of easily been called a charging call.

Rule 47 Charging;

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A "Charge" may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

When a major penalty is imposed under this Rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed, and an automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100).

If it was a charge like you're saying, then why didn't the ref call it? He was standing right there when Cleary hit him, so obviously it was completely clean. You guys are upset because Phaneuf got nailed hard like he normally does to other players, and anytime he hits a player on another team, it's always a clean hit. There was no charge, no elbow and he didn't leave his skates before he hit him. Cleary is not a player who takes cheap shots, and anyone trying to say that needs to take off the blinders.(not talking about you)

But Detroit fans, please don't complain when Phaneuf pummels him in game 4.

Hey, if you guys want to take some bad penalties in retaliation to a clean check, that's fine with me. I just hope our power play is good enough to make you pay.

Was at the game tonight....awesome game..

Cleary hit on Dion, clearly a charging elbow to the head... happened right in front of where I was setting.But it didn;t Keep DIon on out for long

The great hit was Primeau on Bertuzzi :clap: Bertuzzi...who...what a player he turned out to be.

Took a simple little check from Zyuzin, and left with sore ribs... :P Yep, big bad bert who,

Of course it would look clean, because it wasn;t a wing who got hit.

And Finally a call on the WIngs for goaltender interfernece, after runnin Kipper Numerous Teams

HAH. Flames not so easy to beat at home are they

Series is far from over

Good for you about being at the game!!

No the Flames aren't so easy to beat at home, and guess what? We knew that already!!!! :)

About Cleary on Phaneuf - Clean hit. You may have been there - but you only saw it once. We at home had the benefit of seeing it multiple times from multiple angles. No elbow to the head. Clean hit. Not just because it was a Wing doing the hitting. Just a clean hit.

About Bertuzzi. Go ahead - get a cuncussion, have back surgery, and go skate in a game where you are getting hit around all night. He had bee the target all night, it wasn't Primeau's small hit on Bert that caused him to hurt, it was the whole night.

You were nice when you first started on the boards here. Now you are just getting uncivil.

I gave you the link to look at the hit, how can you say he doesn't jump into Phaneuf?

Um.....because the screenshot directly above shows Cleary, mid-hit, with his skates on the ice. How you can look at that picture and still think Cleary left his feet for the hit, I don't know.

Also check out how many strides he takes across the ice targeting Dion.

Could of easily been called a charging call.

Rule 47 Charging;

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A "Charge" may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

When a major penalty is imposed under this Rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed, and an automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100).

Well if we are using the link you posted, it clearly shows that Cleary stopped striding before he hit Phaneuf. A charging penalty is generally called when a player goes out of his way to lay a hit on another player, and doesn't stop striding. Even if you count the strides Cleary took, this cracks me up, he took 2 strides! One and a half if you want to get technical about it. It was a clean hit, get over it. And he wasn't 'targeting' Phaneuf. If you watch the replay (which I am becoming more and more convinced that you haven't) you'll see a little black thing on Phaneuf's stick, that's called the puck. The play follows it.

Here is a replay from CBC on NHL.com.

Cleary hits Phaneuf

Really hard to tell if it was an elbow, or forearm, but it is not hard to tell that Cleary jumped into the hit, which makes it an unclean hit according to the NHL rule book.

Watched the hit. His skates leave the ice after he has connected with Phaneuf. Watch it again.

That hit was bordering on charging. Look at how many strides Cleary takes in his path to Phaneuf. Borderline at best.

He was going for the puck. Phaneuf got the puck, so he got hit. How is that charging?

Well if we are using the link you posted, it clearly shows that Cleary stopped striding before he hit Phaneuf. A charging penalty is generally called when a player goes out of his way to lay a hit on another player, and doesn't stop striding. Even if you count the strides Cleary took, this cracks me up, he took 2 strides! One and a half if you want to get technical about it. It was a clean hit, get over it. And he wasn't 'targeting' Phaneuf. If you watch the replay (which I am becoming more and more convinced that you haven't) you'll see a little black thing on Phaneuf's stick, that's called the puck. The play follows it.

:clap::clap::clap:

Well if we are using the link you posted, it clearly shows that Cleary stopped striding before he hit Phaneuf. A charging penalty is generally called when a player goes out of his way to lay a hit on another player, and doesn't stop striding.

Simply not true. I would even go as far to say that if you look at most charging penalties, the player is normally coasting in for the hit (i.e. stopped taking steps).

Guest GordieSid&Ted

My simple thoughts. If we're gonna dish them out, we've gotta be prepared to take it. SIMPLE!!!

So as far as I'm concerned, Cleary had a great hit.

But Detroit fans, please don't complain when Phaneuf pummels him in game 4. Second to that, I thought Cleary was one of the best players on the ice in game 3.

Holy crap, a reasonable Flames fan! :D

I'll second your thoughts and go 1 further

Cleary on Phaneuf = Clean

Phaneuf on Datsyuk = Clean

anybody who claims otherwise is likely misinformed because they haven't watched the replays they just "think" they know what they saw or worse, they've seen the replays and are in denial and drinking the hometown brew.

anybody who claims otherwise is likely misinformed because they haven't watched the replays they just "think" they know what they saw or worse, they've seen the replays and are in denial and drinking the hometown brew.

Definitely agree.

I don't think I can name a single cheap shot from the whole series so far. The only thing that comes close is Cleary's hit on Kiprusoff, but it was obviously unintentional. Phaneuf's hit on Datsyuk? Not an elbow by any stretch of the imagination.

:clap: Both hits were totally clean... If you can't take it, don't dish it out. It is that simple.

IPB Image

Looking at the picture, it is quite obivous this wasn't dirty: his feet are planted & his elbows are clearly not up.

:clap: Both hits were totally clean... If you can't take it, don't dish it out. It is that simple.

IPB Image

Looking at the picture, it is quite obivous this wasn't dirty: his feet are planted & his elbows are clearly not up.

It was a clean hit, no doubt, but in this still you posted, Cleary's feet are off the ice. Cleary didn't leave his feet until the hit was initiated. Just watch the replay. There is a link somewhere on page 3 of this thread. He blew up Phaneuf. And how much fun was it watching Phaneuf almost fall over after the goal?

Phaneuf after the hit ------> :blink:

IPB Image

It was a clean hit, no doubt, but in this still you posted, Cleary's feet are off the ice. Cleary didn't leave his feet until the hit was initiated. Just watch the replay. There is a link somewhere on page 3 of this thread. He blew up Phaneuf. And how much fun was it watching Phaneuf almost fall over after the goal?

I realize that they both went airborne after the hit. But it wasn't like he jumped into him as part of the hit. It was more like a after effect after contact occured.

LOL at the phaneuf after the hit!

IPB Image

Ummm, if you look at that picture and think that Cleary's feet are planted on the ice, I think you need to schedule an appointment with your eye doctor ASAP.

That said, it really doesn't tell you when he left his feet.

My take is this:

- If it was called a charge or an elbow, I wouldn't have cried foul, because I do think there could be some argument made (more for a charge than an elbow), but for the most part, I think it was fairly clean. If I was a Flames fan, I'd probably lean more on the charging side.

- Phaneuf hit on Datsyuk? I really can't find any evidence at all to suggest it was anything but clean.

I realize that they both went airborne after the hit. But it wasn't like he jumped into him as part of the hit. It was more like a after effect after contact occured.

LOL at the phaneuf after the hit!

Hopefully the rest of the boys will get some of whatever Danny has beent eating before the games. He has been great. I am curious to see if Phaneuf got a concussion on the play, and if he did, will he play in game 4?

Ummm, if you look at that picture and think that Cleary's feet are planted on the ice, I think you need to schedule an appointment with your eye doctor ASAP.

My take is this:

- If it was called a charge or an elbow, I wouldn't have cried foul, because I do think there could be some argument made (more for a charge than an elbow), but for the most part, I think it was fairly clean. If I was a Flames fan, I'd probably lean more on the charging side.

- Phaneuf hit on Datsyuk? I really can't find any evidence at all to suggest it was anything but clean.

How is that a charge? It isn't anywhere remotely near a charge. Please stop using this argument, it was a perfectly clean hit. If Cleary had bounced off Phaneuf, everyone would be talking about how much of a beast Phaneuf is. Bottom line is Phaneuf got rocked. He went down hard. Obviously when he got up he wasn't in Calgary.

My take is this:

Ugh. No need to get insulting. It is hard to tell in the picture if he left his feet there. And looking at it again, it is still hard. At one point he did go airborne, but I think it was way after contact was made. People have their opinions, so I think it should be left at that. Some think it was charging, others think it was elbowing, and some think it was clean.... that said I agree with you on everything else you posted. :D

But I am clearly bias, because Cleary is my favorite player.

EDIT: spelling.

Edited by Wings_Rule_1010

Another thing you'll notice is that the check hit Phaneuf's shoulder not his head. I don't care for the 'clean but someone got their head smashed in' check and I'm glad this wasn't one of those. Even so, it looks like Phaneuf's brain got sloshed around a bit whether from the initial hit or from the boards. I hope he's OK and comes back to play so we can beat you guys without excuses :)

How is that a charge? It isn't anywhere remotely near a charge. Please stop using this argument, it was a perfectly clean hit. If Cleary had bounced off Phaneuf, everyone would be talking about how much of a beast Phaneuf is. Bottom line is Phaneuf got rocked. He went down hard. Obviously when he got up he wasn't in Calgary.

You may want to re-read my post. I suggested that I thought it was a clean hit, but wouldn't be scratching my head if a charging penalty was called, because I do think there is some merit to that argument.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Definitely agree.

I don't think I can name a single cheap shot from the whole series so far. The only thing that comes close is Cleary's hit on Kiprusoff, but it was obviously unintentional. Phaneuf's hit on Datsyuk? Not an elbow by any stretch of the imagination.

Yeah, its been a relatively "clean" series. I took exception to folks from Calgary calling the Cleary hit a run. Cleary was hunched over with Flame defender on him and he looked back for the puck. When he turned his head back to the goal Kipper was right there and Cleary was ontop of him, too late to pull up. If anyone has a still of it, Cleary's real low to the ground and he's dragging a leg behind him as he was in a full coast and there was no way he could've pulled up and hit the brakes. Not too mention that Kipper was to the left of the crease. Had he been in net, Cleary would've blew right past the side of the goal without so much as touching Kipper.

The reason Flames fans think it was an intentional run was because of the Flames reaction after that with the huge scrum. That's understandable, although they're still wrong as it was not intentional. If anybody wants to see intentional running of a goalie they can go check out the youtube clip from a few years back when Kevin Sawyer of the Ducks drills Vernon I believe right in the face intentionally because earlier Berube ran the Ducks goalie. That's intentional.

The one thing I haven't liked is Iggy going after Z in game one. It hasn't been brought up but Z is getting under his skin. If you ever see Iggy lose the puck or see him getting stick checked to hell, odds are its #40 doing the work. Iggy's had a hard on for him because of his dogged checking all series. Last night, after a Hasek save, nobody noticed but Z gave Iggy a light cross check to the lower rib/upper thigh area. It wasn't much but it was enough for Iggy to turn around and get in his face. I thought it was great because how often do you see Z do that unprovoked. Z just straight up gave him the stick because he had driven to the net. Priceless.

Ugh. No need to get insulting.

It was just a sarcastic joke.

You really can't draw any conclusions from the picture other than the fact that his feet are off the ice, but it doesn't show when his feet came off the ice. If they came off the ice after initial contact, that's fine.