• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hckypete96

Lidstrom played unusually bad in game 3

Rate this topic

I am in no way a Lidstrom hater or anything like that, I like him just fine, but he really blew it on those last two goals. Bad outlet pass to Hank, then got beat by Iggy. I'm not too worried about this loss though, I think we will come back strong in game 4. I mean if we only lose by 1 when Lids plays like poop then we should be able to take the rest down with Lids playin great as usual.

In hindsight, he shoulda just chucked the puck outta the zone, but the Wings run that clear so effortlessly I'm not going to bag on him about it.

The other one, yeah, he got "beat" by Iginla, where beat is letting him fire off a forty foot wrister. If that's Nick getting beat, then I think we're all set. Dom knows he shoulda had that one, and he'll be ready for anything Jarome and the gang throw at him in Game 4.

I am in no way a Lidstrom hater or anything like that, I like him just fine, but he really blew it on those last two goals. Bad outlet pass to Hank, then got beat by Iggy. I'm not too worried about this loss though, I think we will come back strong in game 4. I mean if we only lose by 1 when Lids plays like poop then we should be able to take the rest down with Lids playin great as usual.

Lidstrom is one of my favorite Wings, but I have to agree with you about tonights game. Lidstrom's mistakes were ugly and both of them directly led to the game tying and game winning goals, but EVERY player is entitled to one bad playoff game in his career and the rest of the Wings (except Draper and Cleary) didn't seem to be at the top of their game tonight either. Tonights game simply means that Lidstrom is human afterall. Given his dominant play over the years, I give him the full benefit of the doubt and look forward to him playing a much better game 4.

Plus, I blame the CBC guys. They kept repeating how Lidstrom NEVER makes a mistake and they also kept talking about how Iginla needed to have a huge game and what do you know: Lidstrom made two big mistakes and Iginla got the game winning goal. I think CBC has voodoo dolls of all the American players and they have been using those dolls to help the Canadian teams advance deep in the playoffs for the past 3 seasons.

:P

If you watch the replay of Iginla's goal, he makes it seem like the shot should be going higher than it really is. I think it's from the way he follows through. It was tricky.

And as far as Lidstrom's mistakes, if there's anybody that can rebound from a bad game it's him, especially as captain. I don't think we'll be in much trouble in that avenue.

Plus, I blame the CBC guys. They kept repeating how Lidstrom NEVER makes a mistake and they also kept talking about how Iginla needed to have a huge game and what do you know: Lidstrom made two big mistakes and Iginla got the game winning goal. I think CBC has voodoo dolls of all the American players and they have been using those dolls to help the Canadian teams advance deep in the playoffs for the past 3 seasons.

:P

right there with ya, i turned to my roomate and guaranteed him that they would jinx it and lids would mess up, well look how that turned out.

I am sure lids will rebound nicely, and have a bigger hunger to shut iggy down for the rest of the series

i think dom shoulda had it too but you cant blame the goalie everytime.... lids shoulda stopped him.

Well, I don't blame the goalie "everytime." Two of those goals had nothing to do with Hasek. But no matter what Lidstrom did or didn't do on the third one, it still shouldn't have been a goal.

It's not really a big deal. I'm not mad or anything; this isn't Manny Legace here. A game is won or lost in a thousand places over the course of sixty minutes--lost when you can't convert on six straight minutes of power plays, lost when you fail to clear a puck, lost when you let in a bad goal--all of them combined are what do you in. It wouldn't be fair to just pick on Dom and that's far from what I'm doing.

You see what I'm saying? Normally, Lidstrom would give that puck to Hank and it would be gone--they make that play to perfection; normally, Hasek would make that save and we'd still be 2-2, he plays his angles to perfection. Unfortunately, their humanness creeps in from time to time. Thank goodness we're talking about some of the best players in the world, some with famed ability to bounce back from losses. We'll be OK.

Don't forget the interference with Z that led to that game winning goal to begin with. Z has been getting back to help on D super quickly all season, and I have no doubt he could have helped on that one if he wasn't being interfered with.

So what? We're still talking about a shot coming from forty feet away. It's not exactly a Sammy Floating Wrister Special, but it's something that Hasek's got to have anyhow.

Honestly, if you put any goalie in that situation Iginla is going to score. When he has that much time to shoot he is unstoppable, even from forty feet. That goal was completely lidstroms fault.

So what? We're still talking about a shot coming from forty feet away. It's not exactly a Sammy Floating Wrister Special, but it's something that Hasek's got to have anyhow.

it's easy to blame the goalie (obviously), but Nick knows he blew that play...

I agree. If that's "getting beat" then I have no worries about that play. "Getting beat" is like what Spezza did to Souray last season.

Iginla's shot couldn't have been more perfect. If that had been a 1/4 inch lower, higher, sideways, or any other direction you can think of, that game is still tied 2-2. Dom should have had it but at the same time Iginla has made a fool out of a lot of goalies with shots like that.

In the end, we lost a tight game that we were leading in the 3rd. I don't think our forwards played the same way they did in game 1 and 2. We need to get back to basics by combining good puck possession with a strong forecheck and 'shoot first' attitude. If we do that, this series will be wrapped up this weekend.

Lidstrom has done a marvelous job on Iginla. He was invisible the first few games, until last night. Yeah Lidstrom did make a few mistakes last night, and it allowed the flames to take advantage of it. No reason to freak out, because he rarely has bad games. In fact, if Iginla can only score when Lidstrom makes mistakes, I'm thrilled. Iginla's the one who should be worried. I expect Lidstrom and those who didn't play great to bounce back in the next game.

Edited by Mighty Wings

it's easy to blame the goalie (obviously), but Nick knows he blew that play...

Lidstrom is just as quilty as Hasek on that play and Hasek is just as guilty as Lidstrom, plain and simple. There is absolutely no doubt that Iginla should never have been in that position to get a shot off, but these things are going to happen occasionally, even Lidstrom makes mistakes (maybe more this game than ususal), but when a mistake is made, the goalie needs to be there to bail his teammate out. If Iginla beat Lidstrom and came in on a breakaway, there would be less blame on Hasek, but in this play, Hasek needed to stop that shot.

Lidstrom is just as quilty as Hasek on that play and Hasek is just as guilty as Lidstrom, plain and simple. There is absolutely no doubt that Iginla should never have been in that position to get a shot off, but these things are going to happen occasionally, even Lidstrom makes mistakes (maybe more this game than ususal), but when a mistake is made, the goalie needs to be there to bail his teammate out. If Iginla beat Lidstrom and came in on a breakaway, there would be less blame on Hasek, but in this play, Hasek needed to stop that shot.

The only good thing about that goal is that it should tick off Hasek. I expect him to be on top of his game for Game 4. Expect a 2-0 or 3-1 win.

It won't happen again. He has a bad game like once a season. Bad games happen even to the best of players. He will be great again next game.

He may have had his head up more because someone on Calgary hit him hard and elbowed him into the glass..remember that? No call. That was called in games 1 and 2.

Hank should have been paying attention and expecting the usual outlet play.

Mick said that he admitted it. He also allowed himself to be taken out of the play on the winning goal, that's classic Flames playoff hockey... I wouldn't hang it all on Lidstrom. Lids' mistake was trying to intercept a pass mid-rink in a 2-2 game.

Hank should have been paying attention and expecting the usual outlet play.

Mick said that he admitted it. He also allowed himself to be taken out of the play on the winning goal, that's classic Flames playoff hockey... I wouldn't hang it all on Lidstrom. Lids' mistake was trying to intercept a pass mid-rink in a 2-2 game.

That blown call on Zetterberg was brutal. I'm always going to defend the refs as I think they have a really tough job. I'm hoping that call is made in Game 4.

That blown call on Zetterberg was brutal. I'm always going to defend the refs as I think they have a really tough job. I'm hoping that call is made in Game 4.

So do I, but it won't be, I'm afraid... But that's the way it goes in Calgary and we have try to play through it, if that makes sense.

Honestly, if you put any goalie in that situation Iginla is going to score. When he has that much time to shoot he is unstoppable, even from forty feet. That goal was completely lidstroms fault.

A goal is rarely one player's fault alone.

Lids misplayed Iginla, but Hasek is usually gonna stop a wrist shot from the top of the faceoff circle, even if it is Iginla. That's not exactly a high quality scoring chance for a wrist shot.

I like how the first two games everyone is badmouthing Iginla, now that he scores the gamewinner on Hasek, suddenly he has an unstoppable shot.