• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NeverForgetMac25

Here's a PP idea!

Rate this topic

Instead of just whining about Sammy being on the point like a lot of members are lately, I actually took it one step further, and thought about a possible solution.

Here's a whacky thought, but here goes:

We all know that Z isn't playing at the level he was at before he wen't down in February. Even though he's struggling to get back to form, he's still the Wings best two-way player if you ask me. That being said, what does everyone think of putting Z on the PP to replace Sammy, ala Fedorov style?

1st PP Unit:

Dats-Homer-Filppula

Lids-Z

2nd PP Unit:

Hudler-Lang-Bertuzzi

Schneids-Lebda

Think about it. With Z struggling right now, you could get some other young blood up front, with a sure-fire smart defenisve forward alongside Lids. Z has the better ability to move the puck than that of Sammy, and could cheat down low when the puck is in the other corner.

This isn't 100% ideal, but maybe it'll help get the PP back on track.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I like it in theory, the only flaw is that Sergei had a HUGE slapshot from the point. Z on the other hand...

Thus my "not 100% ideal" comment. While Z can move the puck better, he doesn't have near the slapshot Fed's did. But you've still got Lids on that line.

It's not so much a matter of personnel, if you want to know what I think. I hate Sammy as much as the next honest to goodness Red Wings fan, but what's it matter if it's he or Lebda on the point? Like, not at all.

They need to change up their philosophy a bit. It became downright embarrassing last night watching the point and half wall play catch, the Flames in perfect position to get down and block the shooting lane because they knew every Wing on the ice was trying to set up a big one-timer. What happened to working the puck down low, creating odd man situations and hitting the cross crease pass?

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

Guest Agalloch

No thanks. Having Zetterberg on the point seems like it'd be a disaster to me.

It's not so much a matter of personnel, if you want to know what I think. I hate Sammy as much as the next honest to goodness Red Wings fan, but what's it matter if it's he or Lebda on the point? Like, not at all.

They need to change up their philosophy a bit. It became downright embarrassing last night watching the point and half wall play catch, the Flames in perfect position to get down and block the shooting lane because they knew every Wing on the ice was trying to set up a big one-timer. What happened to working the puck down low, creating odd man situations and hitting the cross crease pass?

I completely agree, and having a guy like Z on the point would help this.

No thanks. Having Zetterberg on the point seems like it'd be a disaster to me.

What would possess you to think it would be a disaster to put Z on the point?

Guest Agalloch

Because that would weaken the forwards even more closer to the net, although Zetterberg hasn't been good so far, and he doesn't have much of a slapshot from what I've seen. A wrist shot won't do much most of the time from that far away. Yes, he'd be great at moving the puck and passing into someone else, but that isn't the problem currently IMO.

What would possess you to think it would be a disaster to put Z on the point?

At this stage in the game Zeta is obviously still hurt... I also don't think he would be very usefull on the point. 100% zeta is effective on the point... a less than 100%, unfortuantly is not so much.

Hopefully his aliment goes away soon.

Edited by OsGOD

HOH knows of what he speaks... Lids also scored one from the slot, sneaking in...

At least Schneider tries to fake a shot instead of shooting into shinpads...But I'm with you...

Because that would weaken the forwards even more closer to the net, although Zetterberg hasn't been good so far, and he doesn't have much of a slapshot from what I've seen. A wrist shot won't do much most of the time from that far away. Yes, he'd be great at moving the puck and passing into someone else, but that isn't the problem currently IMO.

What is the problem than? We're not scoring on our point shots, we're not moving the puck down low? How is putting a great passing Z on the point not a decent idea for shaking things up?

Sidenote: I'm not advocating Z taking a wrist shot. I'm saying Z could be there to move the puck while Lids is the D shooter.

Simple as that.

What is the problem than? We're not scoring on our point shots, we're not moving the puck down low? How is putting a great passing Z on the point not a decent idea for shaking things up?

Sidenote: I'm not advocating Z taking a wrist shot. I'm saying Z could be there to move the puck while Lids is the D shooter.

Simple as that.

I'm all for it. I'm not going to get my hopes up though, it is too revolutionary an idea for Babs to consider. He'll go with what works, Sammy on the point :(.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

Guest Agalloch

Simple as that.

Because Lidstrom and Schneider can pass just as well as Zetterberg. There'd be no point, because you'd lose one of Schneider and Lidstrom, while taking our best forward away from the action in front of the net.

The line is weakened twice.

Because Lidstrom and Schneider can pass just as well as Zetterberg. There'd be no point, because you'd lose one of Schneider and Lidstrom, while taking our best forward away from the action in front of the net.

It would be nice, though, to save one of the offensive defensmen in Lidstrom and Schneider for the second PP. If their both on the first PP, who do you put on the second? The Wings really don't have any offensive defenseman after Lidstrom and Schneider, and since Lang is usually on the second PP that's basically a triple-whammy. Saving one of the offensive defenseman for the second PP is a good idea.

It would be strange having Zetterberg on the point. But he's struggled pretty badly the past two games in Calgary, so I'm open to changes.

Did you even read my entire initial post?

1st PP Unit:

Dats-Homer-Filppula

Lids-Z

2nd PP Unit:

Hudler-Lang-Bertuzzi

Schneids-Lebda

What's wrong with that first O-line or second for that matter?

You've still got Schneids and Lebda for the second line. They'd play great together.

*Again*, I'm not advocating keeping Z on the point for the remainder of his days in the Winged Wheel. What I'm saying is that why not shake things up while the Wings PP hasn't scored a goal in the past two games, and Z hasn't 100% returned to form yet? It just seems like some of you jump to such quick conclusions to what people propose around here.

Instead of just whining about Sammy being on the point like a lot of members are lately, I actually took it one step further, and thought about a possible solution.

Here's a whacky thought, but here goes:

We all know that Z isn't playing at the level he was at before he wen't down in February. Even though he's struggling to get back to form, he's still the Wings best two-way player if you ask me. That being said, what does everyone think of putting Z on the PP to replace Sammy, ala Fedorov style?

1st PP Unit:

Dats-Homer-Filppula

Lids-Z

2nd PP Unit:

Hudler-Lang-Bertuzzi

Schneids-Lebda

Think about it. With Z struggling right now, you could get some other young blood up front, with a sure-fire smart defenisve forward alongside Lids. Z has the better ability to move the puck than that of Sammy, and could cheat down low when the puck is in the other corner.

This isn't 100% ideal, but maybe it'll help get the PP back on track.

Edit: Spelling

NFM#25, you have some great points there and i see the idea of Zetts being able to control the puck and make better decsions. Like you said you have Lids there to shoot and Z can always sneak in through the back door play

It would be nice, though, to save one of the offensive defensmen in Lidstrom and Schneider for the second PP. If their both on the first PP, who do you put on the second? The Wings really don't have any offensive defenseman after Lidstrom and Schneider, and since Lang is usually on the second PP that's basically a triple-whammy. Saving one of the offensive defenseman for the second PP is a good idea.

It would be strange having Zetterberg on the point. But he's struggled pretty badly the past two games in Calgary, so I'm open to changes.

:siren:

Thank you........an open mind! :sly:

Guest Agalloch

Did you even read my entire initial post?

What's wrong with that first O-line or second for that matter?

You've still got Schneids and Lebda for the second line. They'd play great together.

*Again*, I'm not advocating keeping Z on the point for the remainder of his days in the Winged Wheel. What I'm saying is that why not shake things up while the Wings PP hasn't scored a goal in the past two games, and Z hasn't 100% returned to form yet? It just seems like some of you jump to such quick conclusions to what people propose around here.

Yes, I read the entire initial post. I don't see how your lines are an improvement at all over what we have now. Just because the lines have struggled for two away games doesn't mean you switch everything up, especially when they've had so much success together. Lidstrom and Schneider play almost the entire two minutes anyway, and are just as good at passing/moving the puck as Zetterberg, and possess a great shot. Zetterberg just isn't an improvement on the point. He's better than any forward we have, regardless of his struggles, and I'm not willing to put him on a place he doesn't belong because of a couple games.

I love the idea of Lebda, as I suggested that in a different thread. I'd really like to see what he could do out there. I already think he'd be about 10 times better than Sammy is. If Hank were 100% than I'd definitely put him out there too, but I'm going to have to agree with a few and say at this point with where he's at he might be a liability out there. It sucks, because this is where we really miss Kronwall. This may sound a little far fetched, but what about Flip at the point? I really think he could hold his own, his defensive game has risen over the last quarter of the season and into the playoffs so far. He's got a pretty good shot, plus he's a heck of a passer as well. I just think he could do wonders lined up with either Nick or Matt.

The only reason I wouldn't put Z on the point is because I'm not sure that he is in the condition required to skate back to play the D fast enough, No doubt in my mind he could do it at 100% but he isn't quite there yet.

What about putting Bertuzzi back on the point? seems to me he used to have a pretty good blast and I guess Lebda might do well back there who knows?

those would be the two things I would try.

But, you wont score if you don't shoot and you can't shoot if your not playing so I like the idea of putting Z out there on the PP just a little hesitant after he missed so many games.

Edited by Elshupacabra

Yes, I read the entire initial post. I don't see how your lines are an improvement at all over what we have now. Just because the lines have struggled for two away games doesn't mean you switch everything up

The Wings were 1-7 on the PP in game 1, scored their only PP goal in game 2 on a 5-on-3, and haven't scored since. I wouldn't say they've just been struggling for two away games, because its not the case.

Yes, I read the entire initial post. I don't see how your lines are an improvement at all over what we have now. Just because the lines have struggled for two away games doesn't mean you switch everything up, especially when they've had so much success together. Lidstrom and Schneider play almost the entire two minutes anyway, and are just as good at passing/moving the puck as Zetterberg, and possess a great shot. Zetterberg just isn't an improvement on the point. He's better than any forward we have, regardless of his struggles, and I'm not willing to put him on a place he doesn't belong because of a couple games.

Tell me more about this supposed success the WIngs have had this year. They were number 1 on the PP last season and didn't even crack the top 10 this year.

I love the idea of Lebda, as I suggested that in a different thread. I'd really like to see what he could do out there. I already think he'd be about 10 times better than Sammy is. If Hank were 100% than I'd definitely put him out there too, but I'm going to have to agree with a few and say at this point with where he's at he might be a liability out there. It sucks, because this is where we really miss Kronwall. This may sound a little far fetched, but what about Flip at the point? I really think he could hold his own, his defensive game has risen over the last quarter of the season and into the playoffs so far. He's got a pretty good shot, plus he's a heck of a passer as well. I just think he could do wonders lined up with either Nick or Matt.

If Hank was 100% healthy I wouldn't be suggesting this. Thats my point.