• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Firehawk

Game 4 TV Ratings

Rate this topic

I really couldn't care less if the ratings were -30.

Everyone's constantly crying doom-and-gloom saying how this league is going down the toilet and how the NHL will be gone in a few years.

The NHL is suffering so badly and it's such a poorly run league that it was only able to do something that Major League Baseball, the apple of America's eye, couldn't; recover immediately after a work stoppage.

The Cap has gone up from $42M to $52M in two years. It's generated close to $2.5B this season which is almost $500M more than what it did pre-lockout.

People like Jim Ballsillie are so rabid for a franchise that he bought the Predators for $220M.

Sure sounds like a league that's going down the toilet.

Hockey's fine and I'm tired of the NHL and it's fans having such an inferiority complex. It gets it from trying to compare itself to the NFL. Well guess what, there isn't a league in North America that can touch the NFL. MLB is only now coming out of it's post-lockout problems and even then it's still suffering from the steroid scandle that's tainted it over the past 15 years.

The NBA has been having issues itself. People seem to forget that HNIC gets more viewers than the NBA game of the week on TNT.

I don't care if pig wrestling gets better ratings than a Stanley Cup final. The league is fine. I enjoy watching it and judging by the $$$ it continues to pour in, it's going to be around for a long, long time.

Stop obsessing over the NHL's place in the sports conscience of America. Just sit down and enjoy the games and the awesome talent that plays in it.

Edited by Hank

Everyone's constantly crying doom-and-gloom saying how this league is going down the toilet and how the NHL will be gone in a few years.

The NHL is suffering so badly and it's such a poorly run league that it was only able to do something that Major League Baseball, the apple of America's eye, couldn't; recover immediately after a work stoppage.

The Cap has gone up from $42M to $52M in two years. It's generated close to $2.5B this season which is almost $500M more than what it did pre-lockout.

People like Jim Ballsillie are so rabid for a franchise that he bought the Predators for $220M.

Hockey's fine and I'm tired of the NHL and it's fans having such an inferiority complex. It gets it from trying to compare itself to the NFL. Well guess what, there isn't a league in North America that can touch the NFL. MLB is only now coming out of it's post-lockout problems and even then it's still suffering from the steroid scandle that's tainted it over the past 15 years.

The NBA has been having issues itself. People seem to forget that HNIC gets more viewers than the NBA game of the week on TNT.

I don't care if pig wrestling gets better ratings than a Stanley Cup final. The league is fine. I enjoy watching it and judging by the $$$ it continues to pour in, it's going to be around for a long, long time.

Stop obsessing over the NHL's place in the sports conscience of America. Just sit down and enjoy the games and the awesome talent that plays in it.

:clap:

Found at Kukla's Korner:

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hock...game_4_ratings/

NBC was virtually off the charts last night, with game four of The Stanley Cup Finals at a mere 2.2/ 4 in prime time. The year-ago Stanley Cup match-up scored a similarly lackluster 2.6/ 4 in the overnights on June 12, 2006.

Source is Media Week via AVSForum.

Thanks to a KK member for the pointerâ€Â¦

added 12:22pm, via SportsBusiness Daily,

Last night̢۪s game did a 3.6/7 in the L.A. market.

Edited by Drimo

Guest Shoreline

There's a reason why most other sports want to shake Bettman's hand. Because he's given them more ratings thanks to his stupidity.

To call on the cap rising as to the reason the NHL doing fine is disingenuous. The only reason they did it is because ticket prices have been rising league-wide, which Bettman said would not be the case. On top of that, months of this being the "best of the NHL history" -- you remember Bettman touting these throughout the first 3 months of 2007? -- for not only TV ratings but putting people into seats? However, in many cases not only did they not include turnout (the JLA is a perfect example), but several teams (Florida, Nashville, Atlanta, and others) even gave away tickets for free to boost their supposed fan interest. No surprise there wasn't that much more added, even when, post-2006, tickets were being given away for free.

Why doesn't the NHL mandate lower ticket prices (since it's they who regulate the revenue sharing) ?? Because they're ******* stupid -- and by they I mean Bettman. I mean, they're smart. Wonderfully smart. Smart enough to dump ESPN for OLN=>Versus and ABC=>NBC respectively, smart enough to lock the players out twice, one of those times losing an entire season just to make a point. The one thing that makes me laugh is as the NHL does in fact go down the s***ter, they're making beautiful press releases as to how everything is just fine --- "mission accomplished" (sounds familiar, I hope) -- it's not that they're in denial. It would be misleading to think they're in denial. They are just plain stupid and can't market the best and most exciting sport in the world very well. You only have to look at how dead the JLA is -- for a PAYING audience not to go? That really must say they think the way the game has come sucks. How about the Blackhawks? I wonder how long they can stand locally blacking out more than half of their home games because for the life of them, they can't even come close to a sell-out.

The broadcasting as well that came from ESPN/ABC and filtered over to VS/NBC is also a joke. You only need to see games on Canadian Television to get utterly spoiled, and yet get sick of how the same guys sit there and yap the whole game and stroke each other's hockey knowledge rather than shutting up and calling the game that's being televised ([Eddie Olczyk -- while play is going on] "Well, Doc, you see, back 25 years ago I remember when Gretzky was pretty good when he was with the Edmonton Oilers." [Doc]"Score!"). Take the time to watch how often the USA broadcasters babble and stand up on a pedestal, versus the Canadian broadcasts. It's really deflating watching hockey on USA broadcasts, which is why I was so frustrated I didn't have the option of TSN for the first two rounds (that's probably either partially due to my receiver or DirecTV, to be fair, since I hear some people get more than one broadcast option, which I've never had).

The icing on the cake goes to if the Ducks win the Cup. Sure, you'll have some in Anaheim turn out for the parade -- hell, they have so many parades I think they just like going to parades -- but the main, underlying headline will be much like "if a tree falls in the woods..", rather than some glorious outcome. A complete disrespect to Lord Stanley's Cup.

Anyways, yes this is a rant, but I've spent well over a decade watching hockey, not just the Wings, but every other team on top of it (at least we can get NHL Center-freaking-ice). I've spent much time delving into the history of the NHL. I watch other sports as well, such as the NFL, and used to watch the MLB, NBA, and MLS. It does not take much genius to see how badly the NHL is slipping because of Bettman's stupidity. He's really done a number on the league, and it's filtered down throughout American teams, into the broadcasts, and unfortunately is drawing fans away. Despite the wonderful new rules, he can't sell the product worth a s*** because of his spitting in the face of fans in two lockouts. The NHL doesn't need to outsell the NFL, MLB, or even come close. We know hockey will never, in my lifetime at least, touch those other sports in terms of popularity. But he's ensured the NHL has got less than a fair shot at showcasing this great sport. He won't quit, so he needs to be fired or hung, cause I guess all of the articles calling for his quitting aren't giving him a clue. Once the NHL gets someone competent in there, the product can and will achieve what we saw back in the early/mid 90s, ironically, before Bettman took over to screw the league up.

Endrant. ;)

Edited by Shoreline

Shoreline, I might be wrong on this as I don't have the specific numbers in front of me, but weren't there only 2 or 3 teams that raised ticket prices after the lockout ended?

And if I'm not mistaken I think a good chunk of the teams actually reduced their prices by 10%. And yet, despite this, the league's revenus were even higher than the previous seasons.

Switching from ESPN to OLN looks terrible now and I can understand why everyone despises it.

But we can only truly guage this impact over a longterm tenure. Who's to say that Versus doesn't explode in the next 3-5 years? I know that might seem hard to believe but ESPN was once a laughing stock concept.

Many people laughed at Al Bernstein for leaving a chushy job to become their head sportscaster. Now who's laughing.

My whole point is, NHL fans and non-NHL fans seem so obsessed with harping on the negatives of this league that they don't stop to see the positives.

The NHL isn't perfect and it never will be. But I've seen some good things the past 2 seasons that weren't there the past 10.

It's time to stop sulking. It's not going to do any good anyways. If people are truly that angry at Bettman and how the league is run, then stop watching it and stop supporting it. That's the only way change will happen.

The only reson that there is such a profit margin and the are showing good numbers, is the cost of tickets,payrolls have been slashed but ticket prices have stayed the same or have risen take a look at the ticket prices to go to Wings game or better yet see what the price was when the Wings went out to Pheonix the prices were doubled to go to those games Edited by DEVILSWATERBOY

Guest Shoreline

Shoreline, I might be wrong on this as I don't have the specific numbers in front of me, but weren't there only 2 or 3 teams that raised ticket prices after the lockout ended?

Yes, you're wrong.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2615891

With fans coming back, most teams hike ticket prices

NEW YORK -- Fans have come back to the NHL. And now they're going to be paying for it.

Led by the Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes, more than half the league's teams have raised ticket prices, including 10 of them by more than 5 percent.

The results were released Friday by Team Marketing Reports, which also found that a family of four will pay an average of $258 for a game this season.

In the span of 41 games, over 10,000 fans, that's a big difference.

And if I'm not mistaken I think a good chunk of the teams actually reduced their prices by 10%.

Hell, f-ing no.

And yet, despite this, the league's revenus were even higher than the previous seasons.

Switching from ESPN to OLN looks terrible now and I can understand why everyone despises it.

But we can only truly guage this impact over a longterm tenure. Who's to say that Versus doesn't explode in the next 3-5 years? I know that might seem hard to believe but ESPN was once a laughing stock concept.Many people laughed at Al Bernstein for leaving a chushy job to become their head sportscaster. Now who's laughing

My whole point is, NHL fans and non-NHL fans seem so obsessed with harping on the negatives of this league that they don't stop to see the positives.

The NHL isn't perfect and it never will be. But I've seen some good things the past 2 seasons that weren't there the past 10.

It's time to stop sulking. It's not going to do any good anyways. If people are truly that angry at Bettman and how the league is run, then stop watching it and stop supporting it. That's the only way change will happen.

To solely look at the negatives totally obliterates how defensive hockey fans are when outsiders trash their sport. I've never seen fans and press so critical of the league as in the last several years. Does that not clue in that there's something wrong? Other sports are praising the ineptitude of the NHL, run by Bettman. If you have everyone (friends and family) telling you that this girl you're dating is not right for you, after an objective look at her, do you just ignore them? Yes, you do. Then you pay for it. (That's just an analogy, btw..)

Basically I'm saying what most others are saying, providing myriads of examples, because I want the league to recognize us, the fans. It's clear they haven't had us in mind. They haven't made jerseys or merchandise cheaper, they haven't made tickets cheaper, they haven't kept hockey on a channel most people get/watch (if they say hockey fans are the most intelligent of the major sports, why the hell are the fans gonna watch a channel mostly with bull riding and Ted f-ing Nugent shooting things?). It makes one ask, what the f*** is Bettman really trying to do? I have theories, but otherwise no clue, in all honesty. What I do know is, like most others, he needs to gtfo.

Yes, you're wrong.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2615891

In the span of 41 games, over 10,000 fans, that's a big difference.

Hell, f-ing no.

To solely look at the negatives totally obliterates how defensive hockey fans are when outsiders trash their sport. I've never seen fans and press so critical of the league as in the last several years. Does that not clue in that there's something wrong? Other sports are praising the ineptitude of the NHL, run by Bettman. If you have everyone (friends and family) telling you that this girl you're dating is not right for you, after an objective look at her, do you just ignore them? Yes, you do. Then you pay for it. (That's just an analogy, btw..)

Basically I'm saying what most others are saying, providing myriads of examples, because I want the league to recognize us, the fans. It's clear they haven't had us in mind. They haven't made jerseys or merchandise cheaper, they haven't made tickets cheaper, they haven't kept hockey on a channel most people get/watch (if they say hockey fans are the most intelligent of the major sports, why the hell are the fans gonna watch a channel mostly with bull riding and Ted f-ing Nugent shooting things?). It makes one ask, what the f*** is Bettman really trying to do? I have theories, but otherwise no clue, in all honesty. What I do know is, like most others, he needs to gtfo.

:clap:

Guest jaytan

The ratings are bad because Bettman keeps manipulating the playoffs every season. The last three times, he's utilized the same formula: Southern/warm-weather team beats a Canadian team, preferably in seven. I believe he thinks that he'll quicken the growth of the sport in non-traditional markets if he lets teams like Tampa, Carolina and Anaheim win the Stanley Cup. Everyone likes a winner, and a Stanley Cup champion should get higher TV ratings and good attendance figures.

Meanwhile, he's sticking Canadian teams in there to keep his base somewhat content and to make sure purists don't protest too much about seeing teams in ridiculous NHL cities get rewarded with the Cup every summer.

Maybe this playoff-manipulation strategy will "help" the league in the long run, but we all know the numbers would be a lot higher if Bettman didn't interfere this season and had just allowed Detroit to play Buffalo in the Finals like they were supposed to.

If you think this is a conspiracy theory (it's not, it's definitely true), just wait until next season when the Nashville Predators beat Montreal in the Finals (Bettman won't let the Leafs participate in this program, because they got too greedy and wanted to actually win a Cup).

:ph34r:

Edited by jaytan

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :siren:

Another article for those interested in this subject.

NEW YORK -- The Stanley Cup finals have brought record low ratings to NBC for a prime-time program, sports or otherwise.

Ottawa's 5-3 victory over Anaheim in Game 3 Saturday night received a 1.1 national rating and a 2 share, the network said Tuesday. That matched a rerun of "The West Wing" on July 23, 2005, which also drew a 1.1 rating.

Saturday's rating was down 31 percent from last year's Game 3 between Edmonton and Carolina, which had a 1.6/3.

The national ratings for Monday night's Game 4 declined less sharply from last year. The Ducks' 3-2 victory received a 1.9/3, down 5 percent from the 2.0/3 for Game 4 in 2006.

The rating is the percentage watching a telecast among all homes with televisions, and the share is the percentage tuned in to a broadcast among those households with televisions on at the time. A ratings point represents 1,114,000 households.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2007...tory?id=2894490